ExoShield - Windshield Protection Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had experience with this product, or other similar windshield protection films? The cost is about the same as a new windshield, but it is supposed to offer 6X more resistance to stone chips, compared to no film. Similar in concept to 3M film for paint, but optically clearer than paint protection film.

I should have said that the installed cost (here in Alberta) is about the same as a new windshield for a 2018 Impala ($300). I you have a really expensive to replace windshield, the ExoShield cost is still about the same, and it makes even more sense. It has only been out for about a year, so not much real world experience to find online. It's warrantied for two years, if it failed in some way after that it can be replaced, or removed altogether (according to the installer).

I don't think I'd want to put a plastic film over my windshield, especially if it costs as much as a new windshield. I'd be worried about it yellowing/fading/scratching/etc
31.gif

I hate replacing cracked windshields though, that were otherwise fine. Once they are pitted from sand etc. after a few years I don't mind replacing them, but around here your lucky if one lasts that long. Just got a new company truck (Ram 1500) a couple of weeks ago, 1700 kms on it now, already had two small 'stars' fixed before the cracks spread. Got them both on the highway..

I like the idea of something like this, especially if it really is as clear as expected, and remains clear until replacement. I find that the original oem windshields to be a little better quality, being a little more clear, especially at certain angles. Probably could have spent more on a higher end windshield and acoided the issue.

I've also seen situations where the installers can't get the trim quite right, or they break clips, so there is wind noise issues after replacement.

I would be interested to see the long term usage reports on this. How will the wipers react with the film? Snow, ice, and sub zero temps? Extreme heat?

Wet road spray with dirt would be a hard test.

I would let others do the testing first. The idea is good but a lot of questions remain.

If you have automatic wipers with rain sensor it might be a no go. Also collision detection and lane keep assist camera and stuff. You’ll need a cutout in the film lol.

Windshield tearoffs are used in racing, but those are short-term solutions, of course.

This product has a two-year warranty, which gives one an idea of how long the company thinks it should last, and not cost them money. Anything beyond that is an unknown.

I like the idea, but am also skeptical it's a long-term solution.

My DD could certainly use a new windshield without the many pits I now have to stare through, but a new one would probably be ruined in short order with all the crud on the road, so I'm holding out until it gets something more serious like a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back