Garage Find - The other kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went into our old garage that we really don't use any longer because we have a new two-car garage in the front. I was looking for a tarp because I wanted to do some painting around the house in this nice weather. I opend the garage and there's something under the tarp. I removed the tarp, looking sheepishly at a silver Golf GTI MKI. Come dinner time, I innocently ask my son how his grandfather's old Rabbit MK2 is coming along. He's been fixing up that car at his grandfather's place for the past few months, and he will officially get the car in June. He tells me it's going great, he's almost done and working on the final touches. So I ask him if he's looking for another project. My son's no dummy and he asked me if I had by any chance looked into the garage behind the house. So that's that. He paid $250 for the GTI. It's got a stroked engine with a stage 2 kit. 99,000 miles on it. So I told him he was very considerate for thinking of a birthday gift for me so early. You should have seen his face.
Technically, I am now the legal owner of a hot-rodded Rabbit. I'm not angry or disappointed, just really really surprised.

That is a cool ride. If I ever get my hands on a diesel pickup of this vintage, in this condition, I'd be happy to [censored] off my wife and drive it everywhere.

Very Cool!

More pictures would be nice
smile.gif

First GTI I rode in was my friends's dad's, he would borrow it and we had a riot driving it around. 1980 or so.

I currently have an MKV GTI, so the love affair continues, Oil consuming noisy little thing
smile.gif

My grandpa had one; probably the only diesel he ever had. I’d love to get my hands on an ‘80s diesel. No emissions test here and they’re built like tanks. The mileage is a plus, too.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Very Cool!

More pictures would be nice
smile.gif

First GTI I rode in was my friends's dad's, he would borrow it and we had a riot driving it around. 1980 or so.

I currently have an MKV GTI, so the love affair continues, Oil consuming noisy little thing
smile.gif

MK5's were so quirky, but that's one characteristic I like.

The MK7's don't seem to possess that, but still drive great.

I'm stoked to be in my mid-40s and have the cars I watched as a teen reappear in restored or restoring condition. They have to disappear for ~15 years so they look fresh again.

In the late 80s a friend of my dad's bought a 1960-something 1st gen mustang for a few hundred bucks "just to mess with". Seems crazy now but something 25-35 years old is the sweet spot for obtaining a future classic.

Looks great.However those are cramped for tall drivers....I'll take a naturally aspirated Omni GLH...

You had me at, "...our old garage that we really don't use any longer...".

Drove 3,600 miles (NYC to Salt Lake City around the Great Lakes) in a brand new '76 Rabbit. Suppose it was a Mach1?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Appears immaculate.

Assuming not original paint, but if so-appears done professionally since it looks so sharp.

It is mostly original paint. The hood has been repainted but looks good. The interior is also nice. The car has been in storage for I don't know how long.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Is it for sale?!!! Id love an original one like this!!!

You'd have to talk to my son, but from what I gather, this is his plan: He will drive his grandpa's 1987 Golf and take that car with him when he leaves for university for the fall semester 2019. Before then he will get the GTI running. The GTI will stay at my house and he will use it whenever he comes to visit me.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Nice, E-Code lights and a Hella Grill.

If its half as nice as it looks thats a “Holy Grail" GTI...

It's probably not as nice as it looks. The engine won't start right now because it's not getting fuel. The car has the K-Jet fuel injection and I suspect that the plunger in the fuel distributor is gummed up with old fuel. Because of this problem the car was so inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: red7404
OH WOW yes and after its all said and done you still ONLY have a V W

Thank you! I am glad I raised my kid to appreciate the things he owns and to put effort into worthwhile projects, and that he didn't turn out to be another entitled brat who expects to own things that may live up to other people's expectations. When he told me a few months ago he was going to fix up his grandpa's Golf by summer 2018, I actually did say to him, "What will the neighbors think?" He just laughed. Good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back