Pure gas - ethanol free gas question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have some 5 and 6 gallon gas cans.

Was wondering to fill them up with ethanol free- pure gas and use as a back up for OPE and motorcycles.

Question is, how long that gas can last? Few months, a year or general if stored properly for a long long time?

Thanks for any inputs
smile.gif

Thanks, is it safe to store that much fuel in a garage? Like a 6 gallon gas can all properly sealed and all.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks, is it safe to store that much fuel in a garage? Like a 6 gallon gas can all properly sealed and all.
Do you park your car in the garage?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Do you park your car in the garage

No, just motorcycles and no car in the garage.

I keep my pick up 21 gallons, the Ford Focus 13, gallons and the Superduty 36 gallons in the garage.How much does the M/C hold?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I keep my pick up 21 gallons, the Ford Focus 13, gallons and the Superduty 36 gallons.How much does the M/C hold?

Do you store the cars in garage?

I would say 4.5 gals and other one prolly 3-3.5 gals.

I have two 2.5 gal jugs in my garage most of the time at various states of fill. Plus 1 gal of oil mixed gas.

Two vehicles in the garage started inside. Never a problem for 20 years. Just make sure you have proper gasoline jugs with proper fitting caps. No milk jugs. Lol.

If gas fumes get out you will know it. They are pungent.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I have two 2.5 gal jugs in my garage most of the time at various states of fill. Plus 1 gal of oil mixed gas.

Two vehicles in the garage started inside. Never a problem for 20 years. Just make sure you have proper gasoline jugs with proper fitting caps. No milk jugs. Lol.

If gas fumes get out you will know it. They are pungent.

I appreciate it. That's what I was after.

Yes, I have proper red colored gas cans.

My cousin has a chainsaw that wouldn't start after a month of sitting. After telling him to use E0, he fires it up after a year without issues. I always put E0 in my bikes before the winter, never an issue starting after storage. Think the longest it sat was a year. I use only E10 the first tank out of storage, and always E0 last 2 or 3 tanks before.
I'd say anything over a gallon of E0 will last at least a year before noticing any difference.

Hopefully this garage is detached and away from the house?

I always keep two 6 gallon cans full of ethanol free around for any power equipment. I try to keep them full in case of power outage, which is common around here. After about 6 months I'll dump them in my Jeep and refill, but they probably last longer than that. Fresh gas is always the best, but I never use stabilizer and don't really think it does much.

Stored in a cool dry place out of sunlight will keep the gas fresh the longest.

I park the cars in the garage .It is especially nice when it freezes. That is 50*f to me
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Hopefully this garage is detached and away from the house?

As others have noted, garages are built to store cars, which usually carry 13-35 gallons of gasoline, which is not sealed like it is in a gas can. No danger what so ever with a little common sense.

So I have some 5 and 6 gallon gas cans.

How much gas do you buy at once?

How long does it last you?

Also... this should have been put in the >>>> Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel forum.

At a given time, my garage can have 58 gallons of gasoline housed in it before we even get to the portable storage tanks. That's what full tanks in both my vehicles accomodate.

Point being 6 gallons isn't much to store in a garage...

Its not unheard of for me to have 20 to 25 gallons in gas cans in my detached garage. If you add in the 7 gallons that the mower can hold and 5 in the atv were talking a fair amount.

I have never had an issue, but I am mindful of not creating sparks ect..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back