Oil for an old Lister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lister 2 cylinder diesel genset. According to the serial #, it's a 1968 model. What would be a good oil for it?

I would look at any of the 15W-40 diesel oils, especially those in CJ-4 specification.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Motul classic car oil 20w-50 ?

I don't think we have that here?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I would look at any of the 15W-40 diesel oils, especially those in CJ-4 specification.

That's what I've been using. I didn't know if there was something better.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

That's what I've been using. I didn't know if there was something better.
I don't think you will find a better option.

Originally it was prolly spec'd for SAE 30 HD or maybe SAE 40 ... Modern 15W-40's will be fine. But since it's TX and not likely to freeze too much, you could go mono-grade if you wish. There is some evidence that stout mono's leave a more robust residual oil film on the cylinder wall so less wear on cold start.

I had a diagram that showed that in testing, but it's on another PC and not readily available ...

Mono's are usually available at Farm & Fleet type stores and most tractor shops, small airport lube shops, and many marina stores
smile.gif

Here's that diagram:

Running mono's is not "hot". It is just finally starting to counter the multi's endless campaign that their's are better for everything, in every situation... There is a good place for either. This might be a good place for a mono
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back