Hyundai Paint Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember reading years ago that while Hyundai quality was getting much better, their paint quality was still very much inferior to their Japanese and European competition. Does anyone know if Hyundai paint quality has improved? I could not find any articles about it. Thanks.

My wife has a 2014 Genesis Coupe. So far the paint has been durable and has great appearance. It was built in South Korea, cant speak for other assembly plants.

I believe from what I have seen that, Hyundai's fit & finish rivals or surpasses many of its competitors.

They are continuously improving in all areas with each new generation of vehicles. They may lag behind in some areas compared to their competition for example, fuel economy in their standard engines however, they still show improvements within themselves. And they are even matching or surpassing some of the competition with their hybrid fuel economy.

Hyundai/KIA are not sitting still.

Last edited:
For a repaint on my '90 Miata, which is and will be red, I basically checked out vehicles I saw on the road for colour, hue, sheen, and light / dark depth. I would then write down the make / model / guesstimate of year and thus compiled a list of OEM paints that I would use for the repaint (as all body shops will have the paint codes and mixes, probably automated, available).

Eventually I came up with a "short list" of colours I was interested in. I followed up by visiting some local dealerships, taking a good look at the chosen coloured vehicles on the lot, and politely asking someone at the dealership to get me the paint code for the car or truck on the lot I had inspected.

The colour I decided upon was a Hundai / Kia code.

Why not a Mazda code? Firstly, I wanted something just slightly different than the OEM colour for the vehicle. It's old enough that modifications are worthwhile, something a little different or "custom" works for you with older vehicles, versus against you with newer ones. The Mazda colours are really quite nice, but they are all metallics for current and recent model years. i wanted solid colour paint.

From what I have seen they quality and thickness is at least as good or better. Nothing great about most Japanese car paint, lots of clear coat failures. It is not quite as thick as more expensive Euro cars.

Our 2013 (bought in 2012) is holding up really well. Nothing out of the norm one way or the other.

My 2010 white Elantra still looks good and I never wax it.
Just run it thru the car wash with the spray wax.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

True that. From my experience it is apparent they have already surpassed a number of the Japanese brands in quality. Their hurdle remains the mindset in the mind of many american consumers that they are somehow inferior to anything Japanese. However from what I observe and hear they have made strides in that as well.

Not a Hyundai but made in South Korea in a jointly run plant, our 2012 KIA has no paint issues. And while not a fancy vehicle, after 6 years of ownership I have concluded the build quality is superior to the domestics I have almost exclusively driven the last 30 years. And better than a couple of Japenese brands we use at work.

Originally Posted By: Trav
From what I have seen they quality and thickness is at least as good or better. Nothing great about most Japanese car paint, lots of clear coat failures. It is not quite as thick as more expensive Euro cars.

+1

No complaints with my Alabama-built Sonata. I have only one chip on the roof and based on the sound that whatever it was that hit the car made, I'm surprised it's as small as it is.

Generally, I think most environmentally friendly process paint jobs aren't particularly good and I've seen 40K and up vehicles from several brands where the paint job didn't appear to be much better than what's on the cheap and cheerfuls. That said, my six year old Hyundai metallic paint seems to be holding up pretty well with no issues other than some small chips in the front bumper area.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My 11 Sonata has pearl white paint, and it has many chips in the front and rear bumper.

My 11 i30 too...not on plastic parts but on body (metal)...it is made in Czech republic...fathers ex i30 from 2008 was from S Korea and was withouth any issues...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nothing great about most Japanese car paint, lots of clear coat failures. It is not quite as thick as more expensive Euro cars.

I have more chips in my RX then I did on my 89 corsica with 180k mi. I even have rock chips in the paint on doors and fenders which is pathetic. Thin coat, nearly no clear coat( doubt it is even on there), and no primer at all. At this rate I will need to repaint my RX in two or three years.

One of my favorite cars that I owned was a 2006 Grand Marquis Ultimate, but it had the worst paint. I bought it with 29K and waxed it twice a year and it was flaking off in multiple places. Both our Hyundais have great paint, and fit and finish. My 18 Sonata I believe is a little better than her Santa Fe, but in it's defense the sonata is a newer generation.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
One of my favorite cars that I owned was a 2006 Grand Marquis Ultimate, but it had the worst paint. I bought it with 29K and waxed it twice a year and it was flaking off in multiple places. Both our Hyundais have great paint, and fit and finish. My 18 Sonata I believe is a little better than her Santa Fe, but in it's defense the sonata is a newer generation.

For some reason the grey primer / white topcoat used by N American OEMs was terrible for inter-layer adhesion. There were problems with some other colours as well, but always with the grey primer (so lighter colours, greys, neutrals). In the last decade or so things have improved significantly.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

True that. From my experience it is apparent they have already surpassed a number of the Japanese brands in quality.

I'll believe that when I start seeing them with high mileage numbers like the Japanese vehicles achieve...my '04 Corolla has 340K and counting, and everything still works! Also, I've driven a late model Elantra and a '17 Corolla...the Corolla was far and away the better car...I do agree the paint on Japanese vehicles is nothing to write home about though...

Last edited:
This is anecdotal, but don't buy a car manufactured in California if you care about paint quality. Supposedly the CARB regulations stipulate the use of inferior paint solvents that lead to issues later on.

Just anecdotal. Not fact. You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back