Ceramic Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are diy coatings out there for less. The quality of the job will depend on how good of a prep job is done with the existing paint/clearcoat.

Durability claims vary and that will include the climate you are in plus other factors. With so many other good products out there like sealants and waxes, you can pick the one that fits your budget. The website Autogeek has a forum and a store where you can research for tons of information.

My both cars are ceramic coated. Best decision ever. Washing is smooth and easy, car stay cleaner for much longer and looks amazing. I’ve done it myself though so it’s really hard to say the true cost (a lot of money and time are in prep work - compounding, polishing etc)

A good quality, properly-applied ceramic coating will vastly surpass any wax or sealant in terms of longevity and overall protection. The real trick is proper prep of the paint surface PRIOR to application of the coating, and thorough consistent application of the coating, including the final step of buffing it out once it has 'flashed' to insure there are no remaining high spots.

If you apply the coating to an improperly (or even non) prepped paint surface, and/or if you apply it haphazardly, your results will be poor.

For those who want to protect their paint just once every couple/few years, and not have to worry about it except for occasional washing, coatings are excellent.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There are diy coatings out there for less. The quality of the job will depend on how good of a prep job is done with the existing paint/clearcoat.

Durability claims vary and that will include the climate you are in plus other factors. With so many other good products out there like sealants and waxes, you can pick the one that fits your budget. The website Autogeek has a forum and a store where you can research for tons of information.

I'm a member there. I used to buy all of my detail products from there at one time.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
A good quality, properly-applied ceramic coating will vastly surpass any wax or sealant in terms of longevity and overall protection. The real trick is proper prep of the paint surface PRIOR to application of the coating, and thorough consistent application of the coating, including the final step of buffing it out once it has 'flashed' to insure there are no remaining high spots.

If you apply the coating to an improperly (or even non) prepped paint surface, and/or if you apply it haphazardly, your results will be poor.

For those who want to protect their paint just once every couple/few years, and not have to worry about it except for occasional washing, coatings are excellent.

The detail shops in the Baton Rouge area state this exact thing. It's all in the prep work. When I stated it was expensive, I also should have stated that the prep work can be the most expensive of the process. The end results are amazing!

I did it to my one vehicle. I got it, and have a sealant for it from chemical guys that I try to apply about once a month but haven't been too faithful. Plus I have a soap from them that helps with the coating.

Ive been considering this lately for me vehicles as well, since most of them at at least 10 years old. I noticed what difference it made on a customers Jeep SRT this week. Anyone have any recommendations for DIY applications? Theres tons of kits on the autogeek site.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Never heard of it, so no. I don't see the point.

Solid logic there!

Haha

How does a ceramic coat fair against weathering, contamination, scratch resistance compared to sealants and waxes ? I don't want something too permanent that gets wasted by needing to be polished off every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
How does a ceramic coat fair against weathering, contamination, scratch resistance compared to sealants and waxes ? I don't want something too permanent that gets wasted by needing to be polished off every 6 months.

I've heard varying claims from different vendors. Everything from 2 to 5 years.. Supposedly a silica shell (glass) that is very hard and scratch resistant. I'm giving it a shot. Definitely not worth it if it only last 6 months.

I probably wouldn't do it because I enjoy doing a full detailing on my car every few months. It keeps the paint's finish in good shape, and there's a sense of pride when the last of whatever finishing wax/polish/sealant has been removed...

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
When I pull the trigger I'm going with this one. It includes everything you need.

https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-envrioshield-coating-system.html

SS, which vehicle in your signature are you going to do? What color?

Probably both but the Matrix first since it sits outside. It is silver and the other one is white. Washed it yesterday but of course it rains.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back