Liqui Moly 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
...and it is not "Full Synthetic" per Euro rules. It is a dino/syn blend.

It says "fully synthetic" on the label, which suggests it isn't a dino/syn blend.

And there are no "Euro rules."

Liqui Moly 0W40 is PAO based oil. However, it is PERFECT example that final product is what matters, not what base is made of. It does not meet MB229.5, it does not meet BMW LL-01.
On other hand, Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W40 High Tech is Group III and meets MB229.5 and BMW LL-01.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It says "fully synthetic" on the label, which suggests it isn't a dino/syn blend.

There is German law, and people confuse it with it.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: pscholte
As one who stands guilty of having, at times, gone for the more rarely seen oils in the US, I recommend you spend your money on the better known, more often used products like Pennzoil/Shell, Castrol or M1

We’ve all been there. When I first got my X5 I went with Liqui-Moly. Bought their advertising hook, line and sinker. Realized I could get better oil down the street for much less at WM.

+1

Castrol 0w40 just makes sense. It meets manufacturer specs (LL-01), and is easier and cheaper to get. If I wanted a more expensive oil I'd just get the BMW 5w30, but I'd have to drive past 2 WalMarts to get it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: kschachn

There is German law, and people confuse it with it.

Oops

Whenever I see someone who is willing to pay a much higher price for German engine oil, I think of the tuning scene and the gimmicks they buy. These kinds of people will also buy German brands of 75w90 gear oil despite the fact that Mobil1 would be perfect in their situation. If the state they live in doesn't require a front license plate, they buy a super wide license plate that would be used in Germany.

The only time I would bother with getting German oil is if I needed to deal with an odd specification for transmission fluid or power steering fluid. For example, I am looking at the Winnebago Rialta which is a VW Eurovan based RV. Some of them use a tan colored ATF. In that situation, I would feel fine paying extra to get some kind of German brand, such as Pentosin. Also, many cars call for Pentosin CHF11S or Pentosin CHF202, synthetic power steering fluids that are green in color, and I might be buying that.

I wasn't into that, and that may have partially explained why I used Shell in my VW Jetta.

I have to wonder something. Why is it that some people can be so deeply interested in Japanese cars, yet not seem to be interested in Idemitsu or Eneos? I figured people would want that kind of oil in their car as much as they would want a license plate with their engine and chassis code on it.

You don’t buy an Accord for boasting. You buy it as a pleasant, reliable transportation method. And you service it at the dealer since the prices are reasonable. Dealer oil is known to work, no need to chase exotics. Owning a japanese car does not involve any drama.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Super-Duper thread. I was wondering about Liqui-Moly....now I'm not.

Same here. I was really interested to learn about it, since I saw a race team using it at the Mid-Ohio Continental Sports Car Challenge. They even had a little stand set up in front of their pit with Liqui-Moly products on it.

Funny how different the world is....

Liqui Moly is market leader here in Germany, the Nr. 1 and very well regarded.

The name Liqui-Moly comes from their additiv line, not suggesting extra moly in the Oil. Or do you expect Shells in.... Shell Oil?
wink.gif

Belive it or not, but Castrol is not well regarded here in Germany by Gear-heads. And it is usally a little bit more expensive than Liqui Moly.

Inflated Import prices? Maybe. But on the other hand, one Quart of redline oil sells for 25,- Euros = 30 US Dollars here in Germany.

Here are two, sadly very old, VOAs of LM 0w-40:

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/753-liqui-moly-synthoil-energy-0w-40/

Originally Posted By: ChristianReske

The name Liqui-Moly comes from their additiv line, not suggesting extra moly in the Oil. Or do you expect Shells in.... Shell Oil?
wink.gif

Belive it or not, but Castrol is not well regarded here in Germany by Gear-heads. And it is usally a little bit more expensive than Liqui Moly.

Inflated Import prices? Maybe. But on the other hand, one Quart of redline oil sells for 25,- Euros = 30 US Dollars here in Germany.

Very interesting. Thanks for your reply Christian.

Originally Posted By: RobM
Originally Posted By: Kira
Super-Duper thread. I was wondering about Liqui-Moly....now I'm not.

Same here. I was really interested to learn about it, since I saw a race team using it at the Mid-Ohio Continental Sports Car Challenge. They even had a little stand set up in front of their pit with Liqui-Moly products on it.

Sounds like Turner Motorsport. I think they just picked up LM as a sponsor for one of their cars this season.

wink.gif

Of all oils I used while living in Europe, none was bad as Liqui Moly.

Realy? That is a surprise. Liqui Moly just make decent, above-average oils. Not top of the line, but nothing to complain.

Is Liqui Moly worth the high import Prices in the US? I dont know.

The two best german brands are RAVENOL and ROWE at the Moemnt.

The best german made 0w-40 is ROWE at the moment.

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1404-rowe-hightec-synth-rs-0w-40/

Group IV with Ester.

I used all kind of oils, but none burned like Liqui Moly. I used INA (Croatia), Optima (Bosnia), SHell, Catrol, Petrol (Slovenia), OMV, etc. None was burning like Liqui Moly. I had E34 520i that did not used drop of oil using INA 10W40, etc, but as soon as I put LM, it started to use it. By the way, LM in US is cheaper then in Germany.
As for base oil in Rowe, that is all good, but final product is what matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Only, and I really mean it, ONLY thing that Liqui Moly is good at is marketing. They figure out how to put oversized Made in Germany letters in front and half of drivers of German cars [censored] their pants.

I always wonder when I read the "marketing" quote about any given product. Given market forces - shouldn't Liqui Moly go into the marketing business then? Why waste money making this oil [censored], when they could make much much more money going into the marketing business? If what you say is true, this little company just outmarketed Mobil/Exxon with probably 0.001% of their marketing budget. Why wouldn't they just do marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back