2018 F150 3.0 V6 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me see if I have this all right...

As a non-fleet consumer, the lowest package trim the diesel is available is the Lariat. Can't get it as an XLT (which has cloth seats, which there are those of us who prefer them). That means a several thousand dollar jump to that trim level (which typically also offers less incentives).

Then, I pay about $4000 for this engine above the other very capable engine choices.

Then I get to pay more for the fuel since diesel is currently running 30+ cents more a gallon on a national average.

The 4x4 diesel gets a combined 22 MPG. A 2.7 Ecoboost truck gets a combined 21 MPG. (And the 2.7 has 325 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque). The 3.5 gets a combined 18 MPG, and the 5.0 has a combined 17 MPG, so compared to those, it get substantially better mileage, but is way down on HP.

Now, maybe if all you do is tow, then maybe this would work out econmically. But for a daily driver, I have a very, very hard time seeing the economics of this. In fleet practice, we've also stopped getting diesel engines for our 3/4 ton and up trucks unless the units job is to tow... The economics just weren't there...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The economics just weren't there...

I think the economics aren't there for 90% of people who own them.

Without manual transmissions, how do we decide who is the manliest man? What fuel does your truck burn?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWN7o3yO9nI

Not all went well when TFL Truck tested it on the Ike Gauntlet...

Well, like ANY 1st year vehicle/engine, you will have bugs.
I might be over reacting, but man, Ford is kicking butt in the PowerStroke diesel arena, and now in a V6? I like it! A LOT!
Yes, it will be VERY interesting when Chevy unveils their 2.7.

Actually that engine was developed by Ford for Peugeot in 1999 and was used in the Land Rover family, when Ford acquired Land Rover it also got this engine, This very same engine can also be found in the Land Rover Discovery.

Last edited:
I'd be excited about it if the price tag on them wasn't $65K. I believe they start at $60K and the one tested by TFL was in the $65K neighborhood.

The $20K premium you pay for the diesel over the 2.7 which pulls almost just as good can buy a lot of fuel.

Nothing about the 3.0 diesel makes sense to me. I think they slapped it in the F-150 just to say they offer a diesel too like every other midsized truck manufacturer. If you have a midsized truck that only gets 12-17 MPG like the Titan, sure a diesel in your lineup that gets ~22 MPG makes sense. The Ecoboost's already get good mileage and are powerhouses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I applaud Ford for it as well! They aren't afraid of innovation and trying something new! I guess thats why they are the only American auto manufacturer that hasn't been bailed out by the Government! Knock em all you want, Ford trucks outsell GM and Dodge trucks 2-1!

I do love the fact that GM has some sweet street cars with V8's and RWD!! I wish ford would do something to compete... I love the CTS-V, the new Vette and even the Pontiac G8's are wicked!

What don't you like about the Ford Mustang? It can be ordered with a variety of V8 engines and it is RWD.

Anyway, for reasons you mentioned, if I wanted a diesel truck, it would either be a Ford PSD or a Nissan Titan.

I applaud Ford for it as well! They aren't afraid of innovation and trying something new! I guess thats why they are the only American auto manufacturer that hasn't been bailed out by the Government! Knock em all you want, Ford trucks outsell GM and Dodge trucks 2-1!

I do love the fact that GM has some sweet street cars with V8's and RWD!! I wish ford would do something to compete... I love the CTS-V, the new Vette and even the Pontiac G8's are wicked!

Mixing old and new gets confusing. Pontiac is dead in case you haven’t heard.

Not quite. Ford's CEO was all for a bailout. Ford DID get 5.9 Billion in taxpayer funds under a different Government loan program. So to imply that they have never received any taxpayer funded assistance, simply isn't true.

Ford takes Goverment money, too

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I would love to have one, BOF. It would suit my driving style nicely. While the torque is plenty for nice easy driving, that 250 HP isn't going to make it a beast.

It's a nice vehicle for someone to gently drive and probably get great fuel economy, but I hope nobody expects it to accelerate like an F250 with the 6.7L diesel. I would consider one in an XLT and a reasonable price, but it doesn't look like that will happen at this time. I don't drive enough miles to make the upfront cost increase pay for itself.
I would bet most people would never get the pay back with the diesel engine. We buy the stuff because it is fun. $ 65.00 more per month for for 60 months. My wife wanted a diesel engine for her p/u to haul her horsies around so we bought it. My wife loves the truck and engine that is all that matters

Hey guys, I got kind of excited about the new F150. I saw a lot of detailed information here that I never read about the new F150. After doing more research on the new F150, I think Ford needs to offer it in a basic package, at least. But, remember back in 1969 when Chevy had the COPO Camaro's? Never say never.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I don't know about kicking butt. I'd say they are just competing in the Diesel arena. When TFL tested the RAM Ecodiesel, it didn't go into limp mode, like the F-150 Diesel did in both attempts.

They tested a preproduction truck, which was a dumb move by Ford. You don't let that sort of stuff out in the wild.

I'd not compare the Ram Ecodiesel - even though it didn't go into limp mode, real world usage has shown it to be a POS. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html

I've heard from a few people it was a real POS. You'll plenty of stories of good ones too. I have a friend that is a mechanic at a Chrysler RAM Jeep dealership and he said the 3.0L VM diesel sucks. His word and the other people I chatted with about it with was enough for me not to buy one.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I'm not in the market for a 1/2 ton, so I didn't read the link. Is RAM standing behind those failures, or are they unjustifiably denying any responsibility like Ford so often has done in the case of Superduty 6.7 Bosch CP4.2 HPFP failures which then cost the owners 10k+ to fix?

I think they are - but that thread is up over a couple hundred pages. Seems to be a design issue with that engine.

Not going to comment on the Superduty fuel pump as I do know it was an issue and IMHO Ford should have stepped up where there were not obvious signs of water in the fuel or neglegence i draining the separator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back