2018 F150 3.0 V6 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar engine in my Jeep. It’s my favorite component of the vehicle, although I wouldn’t call it monstrous or beastly.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWN7o3yO9nI

Not all went well when TFL Truck tested it on the Ike Gauntlet...

Well, like ANY 1st year vehicle/engine, you will have bugs.
I might be over reacting, but man, Ford is kicking butt in the PowerStroke diesel arena, and now in a V6? I like it! A LOT!
Yes, it will be VERY interesting when Chevy unveils their 2.7.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I have a similar engine in my Jeep. It’s my favorite component of the vehicle, although I wouldn’t call it monstrous or beastly.

Again, I might be over reacting. And, it's my opinion. This is the US OF AMERICA............
34.gif

I would love to have one, BOF. It would suit my driving style nicely. While the torque is plenty for nice easy driving, that 250 HP isn't going to make it a beast.

It's a nice vehicle for someone to gently drive and probably get great fuel economy, but I hope nobody expects it to accelerate like an F250 with the 6.7L diesel. I would consider one in an XLT and a reasonable price, but it doesn't look like that will happen at this time. I don't drive enough miles to make the upfront cost increase pay for itself.

Still don't get the point of the Diesel. The Ecoboost 3.5 is more beastly and has better performance with less maintenance. The 2.7 gets close in fuel economy with none of the negatives of Diesel. And with Diesel more expensive than premium in my neck of the woods the fuel "savings" is moot.

Last edited:
When they did the EcoDiesel it was slow up the Ike. Go figure, only 240hp. But it did do the job with good mpg. I'd expect the same here: slower than gas, but potentially less cost/mile in fuel. That'll be the real determining factor I think: what is the cost per mile while towing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I would love to have one, BOF. It would suit my driving style nicely. While the torque is plenty for nice easy driving, that 250 HP isn't going to make it a beast.

Pretty sure a decade or so ago these sorts of ratings were seen in the high end engine ratings for the biggest of the full size trucks.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

It's a nice vehicle for someone to gently drive and probably get great fuel economy, but I hope nobody expects it to accelerate like an F250 with the 6.7L diesel. I would consider one in an XLT and a reasonable price, but it doesn't look like that will happen at this time. I don't drive enough miles to make the upfront cost increase pay for itself.

Yeah, I threw the 250 HP in there because of the 440 FPT. That's a lot of torque for only 250 HP.
Look, plain and simple, I admit it it, I'm excited about the truck, okay? I have always said that anyone that can do better, NO MATTER WHO IT IS (In this case, it's FORD), I am all for them. So what, I'm not making the money or fame, but I'm still happy for Ford. I happen to like Ford trucks. I would prefer to have a new GMC, but I still like Ford trucks. Look at my username; "BLUE OVAL" And, I was a pipe fitter. BlueOvalFitter
Flame suit on.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Still don't get the point of the Diesel. The Ecoboost 3.5 is more beastly and has better performance with less maintenance. The 2.7 gets close in fuel economy with none of the negatives of Diesel. And with Diesel more expensive than premium in my neck of the woods the fuel "savings" is moot.

Trendy and cool to own is one point driving those sales. Gotta have a diesel to haul all of those super heavy 2 cubic foot bags of Mulch from the Home Depot, you know.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I might be over reacting, but man, Ford is kicking butt in the PowerStroke diesel arena, and now in a V6? I like it! A LOT!

I don't know about kicking butt. I'd say they are just competing in the Diesel arena. When TFL tested the RAM Ecodiesel, it didn't go into limp mode, like the F-150 Diesel did in both attempts.

In the 1-ton Dually arena Ford claims significantly more power (only 5 lb ft difference, but Ford also claims a 65 hp advantage) and towing capability than RAM, but in real world testing the Ford was a touch slower, and most significantly got 12.5% worse fuel economy.

Last year when I was looking for a Dually, I drove all three. The GM wasn't rated to do what I needed, so it was ruled out. So it was between the Ford and the RAM. I drove both extensively, and considered their reliability track records. In the end I chose the RAM, and haven't regretted the decision so far.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I don't know about kicking butt. I'd say they are just competing in the Diesel arena. When TFL tested the RAM Ecodiesel, it didn't go into limp mode, like the F-150 Diesel did in both attempts.

They tested a preproduction truck, which was a dumb move by Ford. You don't let that sort of stuff out in the wild.

I'd not compare the Ram Ecodiesel - even though it didn't go into limp mode, real world usage has shown it to be a POS. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html

Last edited:
I applaud Ford for it as well! They aren't afraid of innovation and trying something new! I guess thats why they are the only American auto manufacturer that hasn't been bailed out by the Government! Knock em all you want, Ford trucks outsell GM and Dodge trucks 2-1!

I do love the fact that GM has some sweet street cars with V8's and RWD!! I wish ford would do something to compete... I love the CTS-V, the new Vette and even the Pontiac G8's are wicked!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

The one I'm really wondering about is the 3.0L I6 diesel GM has announced for their half-tons, but haven't published HP, Torque, or MPG numbers. That will be the direct competition for Ford's and Dodge's 3.0L V6 diesels. GM's 2.7L I4 I think is a miss compared to Ford's 2.7L EB. (And poor Chrysler doesn't have the technology to even get in that game.)

I want to see how the GM and Ford small diesels fair in North America. Did Dodge rush their small diesel to market before it was ready? I see a lot of them but I know they have problems, but I also see many 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes and they also have bad reputations.

The 2.7 Dmax has been out in Australia for a while, but as was the Ram Ecodiesel in Europe. Did Ford design a new mill just for the North American truck market? I like ford, their engines seem very high tech.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: 02SE

They tested a preproduction truck, which was a dumb move by Ford. You don't let that sort of stuff out in the wild.

I'd not compare the Ram Ecodiesel - even though it didn't go into limp mode, real world usage has shown it to be a POS. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html

I'm not in the market for a 1/2 ton, so I didn't read the link. Is RAM standing behind those failures, or are they unjustifiably denying any responsibility like Ford so often has done in the case of Superduty 6.7 Bosch CP4.2 HPFP failures which then cost the owners 10k+ to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back