CVT: Chain, Pulleys and Friction Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the CVT chain (in normal operation) not slip on the smooth pulleys? Metal to metal contact? Is it the fluid that gives it friction? Boundary layer?

Layman terms please
grin2.gif

(I have read/watched many articles and videos, still stumped. The variable pulleys use high hydraulic pressure to squeeze the special designed chain.)

It's my understanding that it's the tension lengthwise and compression width wise on the "belt", as well as the properties of the CVT fluid that aid in preventing slippage. Like most automatics, its the torque converter that should do all the slipping. I dunno of a mainstream automotive CVT that doesn't use a TC aside from units used in some hybrids.

Last edited:
Give this thread a read. It, along with the other thread linked in there, should answer your questions.

from reading manufacturers like CVT's because they are cheaper, while the consumer deals with the many failures they have!! no clutch no sale for me, repairs almost cost as much as an engine!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
from reading manufacturers like CVT's because they are cheaper, while the consumer deals with the many failures they have!! no clutch no sale for me, repairs almost cost as much as an engine!!!

Not helpful
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: benjy

Autozone has a sale on Castrol CVT fluid for only $5/qt. Just change the fluid every year or two, and you will usually have no problems
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back