Police car vs our cars what the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go with the Ford explorer. They seem popular with law enforcement. I know the battery and alternator with all the light would be different but how about engine and transmissions. They leave them idle for hours or longer. How about OCI. If you have a friend or you are in law enforcement they may have mentioned it. Just curious

Well one difference is our cars are less likely to get ambushed like this:

DdQqyblX0AE1kMg.jpg

Reference:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/16/ind...atic-video.html

I have owned several law enforcement vehicles in my time, Currently own a EX-federal crown victoria
smile.gif

The most common OCI/service times is 3K-5K miles, It varies on Dept's depending on their budgets

Most common misconception is the "SPECIAL HIGH HP "police engine" its COMPLETE [censored] !!! Cops cars are NOT speed limited like the retail versions

Engine/Trans/Rear diffs are same across the assembly line

Engine/Trans coolers, High AMP Alternator, HD wheels, Brakes, Suspension, steering are improved for police use

Back in day having carpet and cruise control was a BIG deal in a cop car !! Now i'm seeing the new Chargers, exploders and tahoes with rear cams and bluetooth !!

Dave

My impression is that, no matter how new and nice they are, they quickly get retrofitted with rusty steel wheels. Any idea why?

I bought a new 2002 Camaro Special Service Coupe (cop car) when the local police department decided to go a different way after ordering a bunch of them. It was exactly a Z28 without the badging or black top, and with lower control arms from the 1le package. Same engine, trans, alternator, radiator, bad brakes, etc. Very nice performance sleeper, and dirt cheap.

When I was a deputy we got a new 1990 Caprice cruiser and it looked to be a little different. It had vented hubcaps, big sway bars, Eagle GT tires and maybe a couple different things like heavy duty alternator. It was a fast car that handled really well. It had the 350 tuned port engine like what was in the Camaro or possibly Vette at the time.

Originally Posted By: nap
My impression is that, no matter how new and nice they are, they quickly get retrofitted with rusty steel wheels. Any idea why?

Steel will bend, alum breaks

From what I saw, average European car comes with better brakes and definiately suspension.
When people talk about police cars they immediately think of pursuits, but that is just one unlikely event average police car will see.
They have certain requirements that all police cars have to meet when it comes to crash testing, especially from rear, which increases weight and changes weight balance between front and rear.
Also, common misconception is: police tires. What are police tires? RFT? That is available for any consumer. High performance all seasons? Also available to anyone. Now, high performance summer tires that come on cars like BMW, Corvette etc. are not common on police cars as that usually means required change for winter season and most PD's are not ready to shell money for that.
Now here in Colorado Springs PD equips SOME cars with all 4 snow tires in winter, and most with snow tires on drive wheels. In mountains they do equip their cars with snow tires in winter, mostly GY Ultra Grip SUV (actually really good snow tire).
I have several friends working in Sheriff dept. here and personally I would not put tires they use on my cars.

The Caprice is fleet only here. Strange things are like rubber floors, no center console per say, front seats cloth, rear seat vinyl. Larger front seats to accommodate the gear police wear.
It is basically a L76 (Pontiac G8 GT) but called a L77 because it is tuned to run on E85. GM 6.0/6L80E. Hour meter in the instrument display. Limited to 155mph. It has bigger brakes than the civilian version in Australia(It has CTS brakes) and a factory installed oil cooler. It also has two trunk mounted batteries, larger alternator, different shocks, struts and springs.
It is about 150 lbs heavier than the G8 GT. It is also 4 inches longer as it is actually a Caprice in Australia and the Middle east. It is a Buick Park Avenue in China. In all those places it is a luxury car. Not in Police PPV form
smile.gif
. I love mine, great highway cruiser and the go pedal helps it move out nicely.

The Black one is mine, never in police service. The white one is a guy I met at Lowe's by accident. His was never in service either and he got it at the same dealership. Mine is a 2014 his is a 2011. Notice we both picked up Holden grills from Australia. I also picked up illuminated side repeaters, his still has the plain black ones. The 2011 shares the G8 interior. The 2014 shares the Chevy SS interior. They share many different components, too many to list.

I know the Intrepid police cars would do a little over 130mph. The crown vics would do about 115 mph.

We changed the oil at 5000 miles. Considering the cars ran and idled for 12 hours continuously, that's a LOT of idle time in that 5000 miles.

Better radiator, better radiator hoses, better alternator, better brakes, heavy duty suspension, police pursuit rated tires. That's about it as far as I can recall.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
The Caprice is fleet only here. Strange things are like rubber floors, no center console per say, front seats cloth, rear seat vinyl. Larger front seats to accommodate the gear police wear.
It is basically a L76 (Pontiac G8 GT) but called a L77 because it is tuned to run on E85. GM 6.0/6L80E. Hour meter in the instrument display. Limited to 155mph. It has bigger brakes than the civilian version in Australia(It has CTS brakes) and a factory installed oil cooler. It also has two trunk mounted batteries, larger alternator, different shocks, struts and springs.
It is about 150 lbs heavier than the G8 GT. It is also 4 inches longer as it is actually a Caprice in Australia and the Middle east. It is a Buick Park Avenue in China. In all those places it is a luxury car. Not in Police PPV form
smile.gif

The Black one is mine, never in police service. The white one is a guy I met at Lowe's by accident. His was never in service either and he got it at the same dealership. Mine is a 2014 his is a 2011. Notice we both picked up Holden grills from Australia. I also picked up illuminated side repeaters, his still has the plain black ones. The 2011 shares the G8 interior. The 2014 shares the Chevy SS interior. They share many different components, too many to list.

[censored] those pics are tempting !!! It's between the caprice or a Police hemi Charger as my next "police toy" lol

Back in my HS days, I had a LT1 '95 9C1 caprice that was retired early for a Tahoe. Boy I LOVED that car !!!! I remember on a 500 mile trip to Austin, I got 26 MPG HWY in that thing !!!

It was a SAD DAY when I had to sell it to get a S10 2.2 4cyl for my job
smirk.gif

Dave

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
smile.gif

[censored] those pics are tempting !!! It's between the caprice or a Police hemi Charger as my next "police toy" lol

Back in my HS days, I had a LT1 '95 9C1 caprice that was retired early for a Tahoe. Boy I LOVED that car !!!! I remember on a 500 mile trip to Austin, I got 26 MPG HWY in that thing !!!

It was a SAD DAY when I had to sell it to get a S10 2.2 4cyl for my job
smirk.gif

Dave

I love the Mopar stuff and it is a good car, but go LS, so cheap and easy to modify and the 6L80E is great! Plus the Holden stuff de-polices it easy. No one knows it was going to be a cop car.

In 1980 I bought a 1976 Plymouth Fury. Municipal auction in a small farm/college town, used as a patrol car for 2 years, then the building inspector had it for the next two. 50K miles on it, $500.

The window sticker was in the glove box. Among the options were a 100 amp alternator, certified speedometer, and heavy duty springs in the front seat.

Regarding police tires: this car had some kind of Firestone tires on it that the Firestone dealer said he could not sell to me, though he carried them and sold them to the city. Kevlar belted, maybe? That was a long time ago.

The car rode hard, had pretty stiff suspension. The rear end gear was not fuel-economy-friendly, maybe 10 - 15 mpg.

True story. 1970 Exton automotive Exton Pa. Went there for advance auto repair. 8am-3pm 5_days a week. Back then Exton was nothing but farms 1 bar 1 gas station. We would get to the one light in town. There on the other side of the road were Exton cops. They were not there to make sure we were not speeding or racing, they were there to drag race us. They had fury 3 and a couple of unmarked cars. I had a 1970 GTX others had Z28 camaro's big block pickups a couple of street rods. No contest BUT we would let them win sometimes. Crazy cops. You had to love them.

Last edited:
I had a chance to look at a retired county sheriff's crown vic about 20 years ago. OCIs were at 9k miles and they also occasionally serviced the transmission. Had 170k on it.

BIL had a P71. Most notable difference to me was the very dense foam driver's seat that held its shape. They also do stuff like delete rubber mounts on the transmission crossmember vs the civilian version. I would not at all be surprised to find a shift-kit or different transmission programming, more aggressive fan turn-on temp, other subtle things that are an engineering decision and mouse-click away.

Originally Posted By: GMguy84

Engine/Trans coolers, High AMP Alternator, HD wheels, Brakes, Suspension, steering are improved for police use

Dave

Yup, heard this as well. Especially the additional transmission cooler or two as well as upgraded suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back