2019 Silverado new engine 2.7l turbo 4 cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this thing is going to be interesting on how it performs and handles oil.
smile.gif

Not sure what is up with the chain drive at the rear of the engine. Looks like it drives the oil pump. To me just another item to wear out and have to pull the tranny to replace. I wonder what the sump capacity will be and what size spin on filter it will take.

So much for aftermarket headers and bigger turbos with the integrated exhaust manifold.

New 2.7L turbo 4 cylinder in the 2019 Silverado

Last edited:
not a fan of active fuel management but maybe there is a button or somesuch to turn it off.

I'd buy one if I could get crew cab under 30000.. then again that is a majorly new engine.. might want to wait a year or 2.. no beta tester here.

I'm more of a fan of the 2019 ranger with the 2.3turbo.

The platform isnt totally new (global platform) the engine isnt new (mustang? and exploder?)

so much less chance of major issues.

There is no replacement for displacement.
A turbo 4 in a full size truck. Some one crossed the beams at GM, and as the movie says, "that would be bad....".
And it will give a whole new perspective on the common "half ton towable" signs on travel trailers.

Sounds like it is complicated and would be expensive to fix if it breaks. Hope it is durable. I wonder what mpg it will get?

165 cubic inches, 310hp, 384 ft-lb of torque at 1,500rpm. How much boost did that take??? Wowzer. Not sure why AFM is required, not in a full sized truck, but I guess if it's something they can add in for cheap, then perhaps it has a place.

4 inch stroke, apparently torque starts to fall off (some) at 4k.

Very impressive.

Wonder if it'd fit into an Colorado...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Sounds like it is complicated and would be expensive to fix if it breaks. Hope it is durable.

Isn't that true for just about anything made today?

Originally Posted By: supton
165 cubic inches, 310hp, 384 ft-lb of torque at 1,500rpm. How much boost did that take??? Wowzer. Not sure why AFM is required, not in a full sized truck, but I guess if it's something they can add in for cheap, then perhaps it has a place.

4 inch stroke, apparently torque starts to fall off (some) at 4k.

Very impressive.

Wonder if it'd fit into an Colorado...

Should be a great engine for high altitudes
smile.gif

I hope this works well. To the naysayers about turbo longevity, if turbo lasts average of 200,000 miles and needs a $200 rebuild kit and 2 hours of labour to go another 200k, then most will be fine with the situation.

If the engine performance is anything like Fords 2.7 ecoboost it will be a nice engine .

Turbos are stupid easy, cheap and effective to add power to by playing with the engine tuning software. Expect people to mod these when the aftermaket come up with something.

Originally Posted By: CT8
If the engine performance is anything like Fords 2.7 ecoboost it will be a nice engine .
You know, I'm ashamed that it took me this long to remember that Ford has a 2.7L that is doing just fine. Still strange to have an I4.

I wonder. What's better with forced induction: long stroke with few cylinders, or short stroke with more? An inline motor has less parts, esp if you drop two cylinders. So even if a given cylinder has more area that the rings scrape, perhaps the internal friction is lower.

4" stroke... wonder what the rod/stroke ratio is. Because now it's competing with clearance with the hood.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I hope this works well. To the naysayers about turbo longevity, if turbo lasts average of 200,000 miles and needs a $200 rebuild kit and 2 hours of labour to go another 200k, then most will be fine with the situation.

Not that I disagree with you(I took a VW out to 255k before the turbo went, and was content to repair after that). But what turbos are rebuildable that cheaply? I thought most were remove and replace, typically for much more.

Hmmmm... After all these years of belittling Ford for using turbocharged V6's in their trucks, GM will be the first with a 4 cylinder...

HP wise it is comparable to the Ford 2.7 (310 hp vs 325 hp for the Ford), but the torque is lower (348 ft-lbs versus 400 ft-lbs for the F150). It will be interesting to see if that difference is perceptible.

I'm sure it drives just fine with the torque coming on quickly and staying on...

I know I am pleased with the 2.7 in my F150 - I'd buy another one in a heartbeat...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Turbos are stupid easy, cheap and effective to add power to by playing with the engine tuning software. Expect people to mod these when the aftermaket come up with something.

People can also void their warranties stupidly, easily, cheaply, and effectively. If I owned one, I wouldn't touch the boost setting, or anything in the tuning, for that matter. Think about all the features that are in this engine: electronically controlled wastegate, dual independent cam phasers, 3-way axially switching cams, active coolant flow control valve, and electric water pump. I pity the calibration engineer (or engineering team) at GM that had to make it all work. There are just too many inter-related systems on this engine that have to be actively controlled in real time to trust aftermarket tuners. They'll be years figuring out how it works, and I bet that even GM doesn't have all the bugs worked out. Expect a lot of software updates in the early months and years of production.

I wonder what made GM develop a new big 4-cylinder instead of just adding two cylinders to the proven LTG 2.0L. Maybe they think the 4 will make better fuel economy or the lower parts count makes it cheaper to manufacture, but the bigger cylinders make it harder to control combustion. Don't we already obsess enough here about LSPI? And here's a new engine that can make max boost at 1500 rpm while powering a 3 ton truck.

Last edited:
Better numbers than the current 4.3 V6 at 285 hp and 305 lb/ft. and that article says it's a replacement for the base engine so not a concern for most buyers but will be interesting to see how it does getting hammered in a work truck. Perfectly happy with the 4.3 in my Silverado after a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back