Straight 30 Group II or 5W40 Group 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAE30 of course
cool.gif

Perhaps I wasnt specific enough. I ask because of all this talk about VII being bad.
So the specifics are :
Will a group II without VII fare better in this oil cooled turbo, and able to withstand the heat in the turbo, or will a group III which is basically a better base stock, but loaded with VII withstand the heat better ?

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is a top-quality A3/B4 synthetic oil with a ton of approvals.

It's what I'd use without question. Better base stock, and designed with high-performance turbocharged engines in mind.

I'd say yes, based on the fact that whatever viscosity base oils the Helix is built with, is lower than the SAE 30 monograde. The KV in the Helix would be supported by VIIs in the multi-grade (it could honestly be any multigrade with any hydrocarbon base), whereas the SAE30 has none. So when the oil is coking in the bearing section of your turbo with the SAE 30, you'll have a naturally higher viscosity oil devoid of VIIs taking the hit rather than a 5W oil, 'hc synthetic' or not. Also with a KV100 qualifying for SAE30, you'll enjoy lower drag at normal operating temp. Basically, higher VI isn't at all going to help you with what you're asking for.

Just my opinion with 'work shown'

BTW the 1G has always interested me; square bore and stroke, I6, small reciprocating mass... it must be incredibly smooth. Nice engine

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
I'd say yes, based on the fact that whatever viscosity base oils the Helix is built with, is lower than the SAE 30 monograde. The KV in the Helix would be supported by VIIs in the multi-grade (it could honestly be any multigrade with any hydrocarbon base), whereas the SAE30 has none. So when the oil is coking in the bearing section of your turbo with the SAE 30, you'll have a naturally higher viscosity oil devoid of VIIs taking the hit rather than a 5W oil, 'hc synthetic' or not. Also with a KV100 qualifying for SAE30, you'll enjoy lower drag at normal operating temp. Basically, higher VI isn't at all going to help you with what you're asking for.

Just my opinion with 'work shown'

BTW the 1G has always interested me; square bore and stroke, I6, small reciprocating mass... it must be incredibly smooth. Nice engine

Yes indeed it is smooth even at 600rpm when the autobox is in D and complete stop at traffic lights.

Last edited:
In KL, I would assume the Shell Helix is readily available. Is Pennzoil available as well? I ask because of issues of counterfeit products that the Helix would be preferable.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
In KL, I would assume the Shell Helix is readily available. Is Pennzoil available as well? I ask because of issues of counterfeit products that the Helix would be preferable.

Authentic Pennzoil oils made in USA are available at ACE hardware .The locally packaged Pennzoils are suspect though, and I will never buy those. Price point, the SAE30 not on sale (never is) is only slightly cheaper than the Shell helix Ultra on sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alcyon

Authentic Pennzoil oils made in USA are available at ACE hardware .The locally packaged Pennzoils are suspect though, and I will never buy those. Price point, the SAE30 not on sale (never is) is only slightly cheaper than the Shell helix Ultra on sale.

Thanks for that. During my time in the region I saw stuff that made me wonder if it was real or counterfeit. I’m sure you’ve seen it too. As long as the outlet is reliable it should be good. Compare the specs and certifications of both to make a good decision.

Originally Posted By: alcyon

Thanks for that. During my time in the region I saw stuff that made me wonder if it was real or counterfeit. I’m sure you’ve seen it too. As long as the outlet is reliable it should be good. Compare the specs and certifications of both to make a good decision.

oooh yeah, third world problems !

https://paultan.org/2018/03/22/klang-valley-workshops-caught-selling-fake-engine-oil/

also this is how the local pennzoil looks like, http://pennzoil.my/product-category/passenger-car-motor-oil/
[censored] ugly packaging if you ask me. I suspect while its made under license, the formulation isnt the same.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the SAE 30. SAE 30's were/are used in tons of diesel engines with turbo's glowing cherry red for long pulls on long grades. It'll hold up just fine.

Coking is usually a turbo drain issue. Usually associated with turbos set at angels so that the bearing housing does not drain correctly at rest ... If the drain is good (straight down) there will be no coking with any reputable oil.

U could try Amsoil 10-30 or 40 commercial grade small engine oil if SAE 30 is speced. Will be better than anything else by a long shot. More money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back