Glock G31 Gen 3 VS Gen 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting a Glock G31 in the near future. But, I have a Q?.
The Gen 3 measures 8.03 in. in length. The Gen 4 measures 7.95 in. in length. Both barrels measure 4.48 in. in length. Why the difference in the two models, and where is the .08 in. difference at?
I would most likely get the Gen 4 because it has features that I prefer over the Gen 3. I know that it's very minimal, but I am just curious to know where that .08 in. in difference is at.
smile.gif

Pistols and guns, way too many to look up.....way to many opinions to read.
If it makes you happy and you are good with your selection,,all is well

I have had only half dozen pistols ---autos and such, now I just carry my small 38 . 5 shot revolver, cheapie M and P by Smith/Wesson...no thrills, 5 shots, no jams..

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I am thinking about getting a Glock G31 in the near future. But, I have a Q?.
The Gen 3 measures 8.03 in. in length. The Gen 4 measures 7.95 in. in length. Both barrels measure 4.48 in. in length. Why the difference in the two models, and where is the .08 in. difference at?
I would most likely get the Gen 4 because it has features that I prefer over the Gen 3. I know that it's very minimal, but I am just curious to know where that .08 in. in difference is at.
smile.gif

Engineering dept was having a weird day I guess..

The gen 4 has replaceable back-straps, so if you remove all of the back straps and just use the pistol like that, it will be the thinnest grip, and likely accounts for the slightly smaller numbers.

Long time glock guy and armorer here, just like bubbatime said its in the design of the grip which was changed for Gen4. If you find a good deal on the Gen3 then buy that. If the Gen4 fits your hand better then buy that.

Not all parts interchange between Gen3 and Gen4 so buy one generation and stick to it if your are planning on getting multiple glocks at a later time.

Glocks aren't pretty at all, they are utilitarian tools that work under extreme conditions. Rare to have a serious issue with a glock regardless of caliber or model number. It's a solid choice for a life saving device.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The gen 4 has replaceable back-straps, so if you remove all of the back straps and just use the pistol like that, it will be the thinnest grip, and likely accounts for the slightly smaller numbers.

This. I have a good bit of Glock experience, and the Gen4's fit my hand better than any of the rest. My duty weapon at work is currently a Gen4 with no backstraps at all (small) even though I have large palms it is the best match for my average length fingers.

Especially since you can tweak the Gen4 to 3 different sizes to your preference, I'd go Gen4 over Gen3 any day if I were looking to buy one or the other.

There are a few other "upgrades" on the Gen4 as well.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

This. I have a good bit of Glock experience, and the Gen4's fit my hand better than any of the rest. My duty weapon at work is currently a Gen4 with no backstraps at all (small) even though I have large palms it is the best match for my average length fingers.

Especially since you can tweak the Gen4 to 3 different sizes to your preference, I'd go Gen4 over Gen3 any day if I were looking to buy one or the other.

There are a few other "upgrades" on the Gen4 as well.

I concur and I am in the same boat. My duty pistol at work is a gen4 Glock 21. I have a gen3 glock 31 that I am trying to sell in order to upgrade to the gen4 version. The gen4 really does fit my hand better and the dual recoil spring system really does reduce felt recoil. Those two things are well worth spending a few hundred to trade my gen3 in for the gen4. I do not like any of the features of the gen5 except for the very slight flared magwell. I think glock took a bit of step backward and added some pointless features with the gen5.

Last edited:
The gen 4 added "back straps" which is just essentially a more ergonomically designed grip that's kinda-sorta-beaver tail like in 1911's and sig p320's etc. which is probably why the specs are slightly off from the gen 3 even tho it's same barrel size. It's compensated in the rear, which their addition of the back straps. Which are apparently removable, if it's not ur thing.

However, if that's the case just get the gen 3. Essentially the same gun, caliber, and quality, just with the standard Glock grip, no back straps.

The Glock reps say the added back straps on the gen 4 is to raise ur hand position higher on the grip, and in doing so you will increase your accuracy. I always felt as if the beaver tail in my 1911 did wonders in keeping my grip tight & right, and kept my groupings tight n never had n e issues hitting my targets.

I was looking into a gen 3 Glock 31 actually an stumbles upon ur post, and after some research I myself will probably just shell out the extra 50$ for the gen 4 as the added features truly seem incredibly useful. Rather than just cosmetic, which lets face it, generally all gen glocks look EXACTLY the same. But u gotta love the simplicity and reliability. Also you gotta god [censored] love that "nerve damage" .357 sig.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by Bobojoker
The gen 4 added "back straps" which is just essentially a more ergonomically designed grip that's kinda-sorta-beaver tail like in 1911's and sig p320's etc. which is probably why the specs are slightly off from the gen 3 even tho it's same barrel size. It's compensated in the rear, which their addition of the back straps. Which are apparently removable, if it's not ur thing.

However, if that's the case just get the gen 3. Essentially the same gun, caliber, and quality, just with the standard Glock grip, no back straps.

The Glock reps say the added back straps on the gen 4 is to raise ur hand position higher on the grip, and in doing so you will increase your accuracy. I always felt as if the beaver tail in my 1911 did wonders in keeping my grip tight & right, and kept my groupings tight n never had n e issues hitting my targets.

I was looking into a gen 3 Glock 31 actually an stumbles upon ur post, and after some research I myself will probably just shell out the extra 50$ for the gen 4 as the added features truly seem incredibly useful. Rather than just cosmetic, which lets face it, generally all gen glocks look EXACTLY the same. But u gotta love the simplicity and reliability. Also you gotta god [censored] love that "nerve damage" .357 sig.

Hope this helps

Hey, welcome to BITOG. Anything related to .357 SIG gets my attention. One of my favorite handgun calibers!

Hard to beat 1500+ FPS/600+ lb/ft. of energy out of my 4" barrel Glock 32 with Gold Dot bonded, jacketed hollowpoints loaded by Underwood Ammunition.

AND the 15-round as well as the 22-round factory Glock magazines fit, in addition to the stock, 13-round magazines.

If anybody knows of a smaller, lighter, higher-powered, higher-capacity semi-automatic pistol, let me know, will ya?

Originally Posted by Bobojoker
Ruger Redhawk .44 mag 8shot snub nose. Hitting at around 1200 lb/ft

I knew Ruger was making 8-shooters in .357. But I didn't know you could get it in .44 Mag.

1200 lb/ft out of a snubnose?

Cool revolver!

Ya ur probably right, those ft lbs were for a a 4" barrel length. Also u were again correct, I got it wrong the redhawk was definitely in .357 magnum.

Guess it was just my brain doing some wishful thinking haha. Which is probably for the best, unless assailants begin to be the size of bears

I had a G30s in Gen 3 (dumped all of my .45ACP pistols), but all the rest are Gen 4 including the G31, G32, and G33. The Gen 4 pistols fit my hands better because I have large hands and I like the medium "beavertail" backstrap (which as others have said accounts for the difference in size between the G3 and G4). The .357SIG is awesome round--particularly when hand loaded to reduce cost and to tailor the round to the gun/use case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back