Motorguard Coolant Filter Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find it, but in an earlier thread last year I mentioned that I would post some pics when the time came this spring to change out the TP roll in the Motorguard I'm using as a coolant filter on my 2000 Dodge. It's that time, and I just changed it out and grabbed a couple of photos.

The roll shown in these two pics was installed at the same time as I replaced my water pump last spring and refilled with new coolant and distilled water.

The TP changes at this point don't really catch a whole lot. The really nasty stuff was caught with the first couple of rolls. It does kind of surprise me how much it does filter out of new fresh coolant though.

How does the TP not disintegrate? I thought most TP are designed to break down in the presence of water for the sake of sewers?

Completely different environment. In the Motorguard housing the TP is compressed and under slight pressure from the coolant flow.

In a septic system there's probably also some bacterial metabolic action going on since the TP is organic material.

TP tightly wrapped like that and slightly under pressure and compressed in housing wont break down. They been using this TP method since mid 50s. I use TP based one on my truck also. Works great and its cheap. I dont have coolant one but for oil.

I did notice that my coolant recovery tank remains clear and clean since I have installed the Motorguard on my F150.

My recovery tank has always been pretty clean, and I can't say that the bypass filter made any difference in that regard. My installation was part academic experiment, and part intention to lengthen the life of the water pump.

I can't say yet whether my coolant bypass filter has helped my water pump life, but it obviously isn't hurting anything and is clearly filtering crud out of the system. On that basis alone I'm happy with it.

How often are you changing elements on your F150?

I'm curious to know if you saw the same thing I did with mine--the first element change was absolutely nasty, appearing to have captured rust and casting sand, but subsequent changes captured far less, resulting in my decision to change out elements every 2 years or so.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Which model of Motor Guard is that?

I believe it's an M30, but I don't know for certain. The M60 apparently uses 1/2" NPT fittings, and the M30 uses 1/4" NPT fittings, which is what mine uses.

Sorry I was so long in replying to this--I haven't been to the site in a while. Yes, A310 is correct. Mine is totally unmodified.

Is it possible to buy replacement cores that are larger diameter and made out of aluminum or steel?

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike
Sorry I was so long in replying to this--I haven't been to the site in a while. Yes, A310 is correct. Mine is totally unmodified.

Is it possible to buy replacement cores that are larger diameter and made out of aluminum or steel?

Not that I'm aware of, the earlier M30's did have aluminum cores but were switched out in favour of the existing polypropylene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back