PP or Magnatec for 09 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2009 suburban with the 5.3L engine, 85K miles. Between Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Magnatec, both in 5w30, which would you choose? Looking at these 2 because I can subscribe on amazon and get great prices on them and never have to try and track them down come time to change the oil. I'll be using a Napa gold oil filter. undecided on OCI at this time, but will likely be 5,000-7,500 miles which is about every 6 months. driving is about 50/50 city/hwy.

Ok. Here we go again. I might recommend you search AFM and do a bit of reading. This is not the vehicle to try get super long OCI’s. May I suggest 5,000 miles with a Dexos approved 5W30 oil, Pennzoil Platinum is, amd maybe Magnatic,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
It really doesn't matter. PP only because I am a Pennzoil fan.

Same here.

Well, the reality is that you, as an automotive consumer, will never experience any difference in using these two products.

Not in engine wear, not in gas mileage, not in oil longevity in the sump, not in cold start characteristics, not in high heat performance.

Why not?

Because the typical automotive consumer doesn't experience the high heat, high load, extended duty cycle situations which are required to measure a discernable difference.

As a result, you are left to peruse the marketing materials provided by the OEM, which are specifically written to be non-specific.

Given that, what is a consumer to do?
Read your owners manual, follow the recommendation for specification, viscosity, and change interval.

If you're feeling the itch to deviate from the OEM spec, then go with an SN+ oil once it's available here in a few short weeks.

That's it.

Nothing more.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Well, the reality is that you, as an automotive consumer, will never experience any difference in using these two products.

Not in engine wear, not in gas mileage, not in oil longevity in the sump, not in cold start characteristics, not in high heat performance.

Why not?

Because the typical automotive consumer doesn't experience the high heat, high load, extended duty cycle situations which are required to measure a discernable difference.

As a result, you are left to peruse the marketing materials provided by the OEM, which are specifically written to be non-specific.

Read your owners manual, follow the recommendation for specification, viscosity, and change interval.

If you're feeling the itch to deviate from the OEM spec, then go with an SN+ oil once it's available here in a few short weeks.

That's it.

Nothing more.

What a sobering thought. Great post.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Why not?

That's it.

Nothing more.

No need to wait. Go to "when will it be on shelves."

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

Well it depends Castrol's rebates are equivalent to what your neighbors dog deposits on your lawn but their oil is several $$ cheaper if they aren't on sale. However if PP is on sale with a rebate they are the hands down winner.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well it depends Castrol's rebates are equivalent to what your neighbors dog deposits on your lawn but their oil is several $$ cheaper if they aren't on sale. However if PP is on sale with a rebate they are the hands down winner.

+1

Those are short OCI's, Magnatec all the way. I wouldn't pay extra for anything beyond Magnatec unless I was looking to go 10k plus on it.

Magnatec.
Like the TV commercial, you will have a oil force field around your engine.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Magnatec.
grin.gif

Smart molecules
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Magnatec.
grin.gif

Smart molecules
crackmeup2.gif

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back