Hacked: Rootkit, need Secure Security Layer Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
You are preaching to to chore regarding ditching AOL. No luck or cooperation. Trying for years. She is thinking of get a MAC so that would take care of the bad browser.

Working on wipe, reformat, and changing passwords now.

It took 30 minutes for her to change one AOL password. During that time I was asked for help twice and got a "your making me nervous looking over my shoulder". Later she called me back when she got stuck. It is going to be a loooooong night.

A Mac isn't going to help if the user is willing to let scammers have remote access to their computer. As for the browser, Chrome is available for almost every OS.

You are preaching to to chore regarding ditching AOL. No luck or cooperation. Trying for years. She is thinking of get a MAC so that would take care of the bad browser.

Hypothetically speaking, what would be involved in getting AOL to work on a Mac (or Linux, for that matter)? Last time I had any experience with AOL setups, all kinds of stupid and insecure changes were done to networking and so forth, and it was automated through their disks (and later CDs). If she gets a Mac, are you going to be saddled with playing with every network setting on the thing in an attempt to get it to work?

This is where I start to make remarks about the milk man and the ice delivery man to find out how she fared when they disappeared.
wink.gif

Right now I am just trying to get through the day... It is a combination of no patience, overwhelmed with technology, but expects everything to work when she wants it to. I do not see that changing.

In the day and age of the 200-300 dollar computer, I recommend a sledge hammer and a credit card.

I'm sure this is a windows 7 pc, so just be done with it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
In the day and age of the 200-300 dollar computer, I recommend a sledge hammer and a credit card.

I'm sure this is a windows 7 pc, so just be done with it.

The problem is she is missing 32 bit computing. One of her favourite things is playing cards. It is different on the new computers or 64 bit. That is one thing. She still has not learned how to use Windows 95, so a new computer will take more learning.

I have the router installed. Time to do surgery on her computer and give her a spare.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why not just give her an ipad? My wife loves hers.

She has an Ipad and Iphone. One reason she is considering a MAC. There is the photos. Backing up 50 gig of photos right now. Printing. She does a lot of that. Typing on a keyboard. Pretty fast on a regular keyboard. Ipad? She would not even use the keyboard case I gave her.

I think it comes down to habits and preference. I prefer a desktop myself.

I could not get AOL Gold to install on her old computer. I think AOL must only allow it on one computer at time. But was able to set up going to her emails using Firefox. She liked it. So maybe she will finally ditch the AOL Browser.

Something is not making sense, but whatever.
The OP states AOL told him they would refer him to Tech who would fix his computer for $329.00 but if I am reading this correctly, he never needed to pay the $329.00 dollars because AOL was wrong on what was wrong with his computer and it actually was a AOL issue.

I wonder what would have happened if he paid the $329 ? Because AOL told him he NEEDED to block a foreign IP that he didnt need to block after all?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
The OP states AOL told him they would refer him to Tech who would fix his computer for $329.00 but if I am reading this correctly, he never needed to pay the $329.00 dollars because AOL was wrong on what was wrong with his computer and it actually was a AOL issue.

I wonder what would have happened if he paid the $329 ? Because AOL told him he NEEDED to block a foreign IP that he didnt need to block after all?

I was told it would take 30 to 45 minutes. It smelled fishy. That is why I did not bite.

So, her computer was a Optiplex 760, a refurb from Micro Center I gave her. Could not find my back-up hard drive. It is old. I am tired so I am talking to her about getting a Mac. I have heard good things about a Mac Mini. I think I will address that in a new thread. Everyone here is very helpful. We have a Microcenter very close. I might have her look at Windows also. But it is definitely time for a new computer. It will be a learning curve for her whichever one she chooses.

The AOL she talk to may have not been AOL....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

This is accurate.

I've had people tell me they called Microsoft multiple times. It was never Microsoft.

That was the correct number. She was told she would be on hold 25 minutes and was impatient. Someone told her to go to an AOL website to chat. I think that is where things went bad since she typed the website into browser. Or as they would say on "Get Smart" she "missed it by that much".
smile.gif

That was the correct number. She was told she would be on hold 25 minutes and was impatient. Someone told her to go to an AOL website to chat. I think that is where things went bad since she typed the website into browser. Or as they would say on "Get Smart" she "missed it by that much".
smile.gif

What is it to commend is you (from the other thread) having the patience to deal with her and already have 2 clean systems ready and done....
Good luck with the mac hunting!

You sir, are in a very difficult spot. Good luck.

A few decades ago I was asked by several relatives which confuser to buy. I told them to get a Mac. They all chose Microsoft, which then was either 95 or 98! Guess what happened?

Wailing and Gnashing of teeth! I declined to assist with the ensuing mess. They're quite the stubborn and bull-headed bunch.

"Come and Take Them".

C'est La Vie....

smile.gif

What is it to commend is you (from the other thread) having the patience to deal with her and already have 2 clean systems ready and done....
Good luck with the mac hunting!

It did to go mac hunting today. Much easier to find than the elusive snipe from childhood. There was a Apple shop next to my grocery store that had mostly refurbished laptops. All Apple around 5 years old. I picked the Tech's brain.

Next I went to Micro Center. They had a few on display in the $4k range.
shocked.gif
I knew that was not the one I was looking for. They also had some around $1k range monitor/computer. Frankly, I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get on the internet. I knew it was Safari, just did not recognize the icon. It was very slow compared to my 10 year old Windows computers. I could see Apple will not be a good option. I am Tech support at home. If I am lost best to stay with Windows for now. So talked to a Systems Sales Rep. Explained who the computer was for and what it would be used for. He recommended the following:

Acer Aspire TC-780-UR16 Desktop

I wanted to be able to put an extra hard drive inside the case so he checked and the motherboard would support that. Power button on top and was lighted. Solid state drive. It ran circles around the Mac I tried.

I know there may be better choices, but the last computer from Micro Center is about 9 years old. She is using it now. A nothing special Dell. When I got home I was asked where the power button was on the Dell computer that she used for 7 years. I put a label. Pretty much all the Dell computers I have are hard to find the power button unless it is at eye level.

That power button on top of the Acer seemed like a sign. Had everything she would need. I have had Acer and it was actually good. You do have to remove junk, but otherwise I see it as a possibility.

So I think I am done Mac hunting. The 755 Optiplex and 8 gb ram and Samsung drive I got going is pretty responsive. As good as the comprised computer. I like to have a back-up, but knowing her she will use what I give her and put off getting a computer as long as she can. Thanks for all the guidance. It has helped a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back