Drain it or keep it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 06 Civic, I reused my A02 OEM Honda Oil filter from last time. Drained old oil and filled it with Valvoline 5W20 synthetic blend.

Currently OLM says 50% and oil has 4100 miles and 5 months old; including short trips as well as 1-2 hrs highway speed drives, but overall combination of both.

While Oil filter has ~10K miles and 13 months old.

1-Should I change oil and filter now? Or

2- Continue another 3000-3500 miles and then replace both in fall?

Your thoughts or advice?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Honda says it's ok to replace the filter every other oil change. They don't put a 10k mile limit or time interval on the filter.

My question would be is your Honda affected by fuel dilution? If it is I'd change as much of the oil as I could. Have you ever done a UOA and checked?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My question would be is your Honda affected by fuel dilution? If it is I'd change as much of the oil as I could. Have you ever done a UOA and checked?

Never done a UOA and also don't think this model R18 engine is affected with fuel dilution.

Just run it down to 10%~20% OLM and change it all then
smile.gif

I assume you have been changing the filter every time our drain the oil, this is only a one-off.

I personally wouldn't do it but if you must, I don't think it's a big deal if you re-use a filter for another OCI. Keeping the correct oil level would be more important.

Definitely replace both at the end of this OCI but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
reading on Noria enlightened me as to the value of filter changes being most important, even more so than the best oil!!!!!

If I'm understanding correctly, its done 2 OCI's and you want to do three?

Personally, I probably wouldn't.

Only non-destructive ways I can think of to tell would be (a) differential pressure test, which you'd have to build, or (b) back-flush it and see what comes out.

(b) seems to offer the possibility of regenerating the filter, but you'd have to check that your procedure didn't damage it.

If you aren't prepared for the punk technology pioneering involved in (a) or (b), you could change it but cut the old one open and have a look, which might give you a guide for next time.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
If I'm understanding correctly, its done 2 OCI's and you want to do three?

Personally, I probably wouldn't.

Only non-destructive ways I can think of to tell would be (a) differential pressure test, which you'd have to build, or (b) back-flush it and see what comes out.

(b) seems to offer the possibility of regenerating the filter, but you'd have to check that your procedure didn't damage it.

If you aren't prepared for the punk technology pioneering involved in (a) or (b), you could change it but cut the old one open and have a look, which might give you a guide for next time.

Not at all, oil filter is on 2nd oil. I would NOT do 3, unless it's a 2K-3K interval.

I am planning to cut this filter though!

I can never keep track of when i change and when i skipped. I just change them both every time.

If you're asking the question you are worried about it. go ahead and reset the clock and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I can never keep track of when i change and when i skipped. I just change them both every time.

If you're asking the question you are worried about it. go ahead and reset the clock and sleep easy.

Well said, from this time. I'll write mileage and date on oil filter with a sharpie or scratch on it.

It'll be a lot easier next time.

For 06 Civic, I reused my A02 OEM Honda Oil filter from last time. Drained old oil and filled it with Valvoline 5W20 synthetic blend.

Currently OLM says 50% and oil has 4100 miles and 5 months old; including short trips as well as 1-2 hrs highway speed drives, but overall combination of both.

Your thoughts or advice?

Install a new oil filter at EVERY oil change!

I start going back doing 1 OC 1 filter . No matter how much the filter rate for . If I’m change the oil , the filter come out too. Even with wix xp I’m still do 6 month oil change with about 5-6k or a years on my cobra which is about 300 miles.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Your thoughts or advice?

Your thoughts or advice?

I just did a roughly 4100 mile OCI on a Honda. Oil on the stick was worse than the new Idemitsu oil I put in, which was clear so if yours isn't like the P66 OEM oil I was using, I would keep the cleaning process on-going meaning swap out the filter but if it stays beetter, you can skip the filter change. My Honda has FD issue so I hafta use new filter. I got a Toughguard in there now but I see the oil lamp flash and then go off, is this normal?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Keep it in and keep going. I've left my filter on for 2 oil changes for many thousand miles on my Element (same K24 as your TSX, and I run extended intervals to -2,000mi on the OLM with synthetic), which totals to over 14,000mi on the filter without significantly elevated silicon in the UOA. I've done the same on my wife's old 2009 Civic with the R18.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3721975/Honda_A01_14,226mi._(2_OCI)_Cu

Guess, I'll do another 2K and then replace both oil and filter together.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Your thoughts or advice?

Baloney! That's old-school, in-that studies have shown filters don't clog-up normally in mileages that concur with the thread-starter here.
Also, not in-line with today's thoughts on preserving landfills, when no recycling occurs by vehicle owner...... which is 90+% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back