PB Blaster and stuck spark plug, fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a stuck plug on number 2 on the 2.2 aluminum head. I knew it was not over torqued since I installed it with never seize and I just snug them up. Not sure what happened but it would unscrew about a quarter a turn and stop. Hit it with PB blaster and slowly worked back and forth with added blaster. Took about an hour letting it sit, working it again and again. It came out and the threads are fine. Just an FYI for anyone this happens to. Don't panic and think the worse. Cold engine, no heat. All the others were fine.

Back and forth is the key. Probably carbon on the exposed threads. Back and forth knocks the carbon loose a bit at a time and avoids stripping the threads.

Good job!

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Did the pb-blaster go down past the plug? Good job getting it out.

Yes it did, the top of the piston was very wet. I used a lot of blaster. I put a piece of paper towel taped to a dowel and soaked it up. Wanted to make sure it was PB and not coolant.

Or let the engine cool over night. Next morning start the engine and pour MMO into TB, PCV etc. Shut it off and let it sit. Now the MMO, PB-Blaster etc is on the inside threads of the plug soaking the carbon loose.

The back and forth in increasing arcs is SOP for any stuck bolt. The motion forces the lube further down the threads.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The back and forth in increasing arcs is SOP for any stuck bolt. The motion forces the lube further down the threads.

Yes, I took it slow and didn't try to force it. 32 year old aluminum heads and steel plug. First time this ever happened. I had those plugs out 3 years ago. The plug didn't look fouled so still a mystery why just one, but it's an old engine. The threads were really gunked up, black carbon and anti-seize. Maybe I used too much. Anyway I cleaned up everything and installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. All good.

As stated, lube and go back and forth as necessary. Be kind to your machine and forget rushing any "nothing job".

To oldhp: If your process works, GREAT. It seemed a little involved to me as I don't think the MMO would cooperate so effectively.
My guess is that it'd just burn off like fuel:air mixture would.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back