2006 Buick Lucerne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Interesting...

I asked about the Lucerne and 3.9L some months ago and the the consensus was no go. Not just this particular engine, but the vehicle in general:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4621583/GM_3900_engine.#Post4621583

Love this place.

Actually, it was pretty much all regarding the 3.9 and 3.5L engine, which isn't relevant here. In fact, your thread title and question had nothing to do with the car as a whole, rather the question was aimed at the 3.9L engine specifically.

What was said regarding the car as a whole in your thread still holds true as to what's been echoed in this thread, mainly regarding the transmission- the 4T65E can be the weak link when neglected, but can also be pretty stout with regular maintenance.

I would be all over this car. The series II was one of the greatest V6's ever in my opinion, the Series III in this car only improved on it, unless you don't like electronic throttle which most 2005+ cars will have anyways.

The 4T65E is not a bad transmission unless it's neglected. It's not a fluid for life transmission by any means-- change the filter and fluid every 30-50k, and most will reach close to 200k without issue. They tend to fail around 160-200k regardless of maintenance (in my experience), or sooner if the fluid is never changed which is the case with most cars. There are plenty of makes with worse transmissions out there for that model year-- The Honda Accord/Odyssey/et al 5 speed comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Inspect the car thoroughly even with a friend/car parson or mechanic. If it looks good, get it. Maybe even offer le$$!...without slapping them in the face with too low of an offer.

Also, look up the price on a reputable site(Kelley Blue Book/Edmunds.com/Consumer Reports). Who knows, they may be asking too high.

Spend $70 to $100 dollars and have a licensed mechanic go over the vehicle and list any issues. Well worth it if your going to spend 5K to 6K.

I recently did that on a Forester I was interested in. The mechanic told me that it needed about $2500 in upkeep maintenance that the seller neglected, as well as a new set of tires. He said he would pass if it was him.I PASSED, but felt it was worthwhile to find out this info before purchasing.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Unless something is obviously wrong with the Lucerne , I would styart counting out the $$$ .

+1, yes I agree start counting out the $$$.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: JTK
Interesting...

I asked about the Lucerne and 3.9L some months ago and the the consensus was no go. Not just this particular engine, but the vehicle in general:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4621583/GM_3900_engine.#Post4621583

Love this place.

Actually, it was pretty much all regarding the 3.9 and 3.5L engine, which isn't relevant here. In fact, your thread title and question had nothing to do with the car as a whole, rather the question was aimed at the 3.9L engine specifically.

What was said regarding the car as a whole in your thread still holds true as to what's been echoed in this thread, mainly regarding the transmission- the 4T65E can be the weak link when neglected, but can also be pretty stout with regular maintenance.

Our Lacrosse has the 3.8l engine . Which , frm what I read was widely produced by GM & fairly well thought of ( except the coolant elbows ) .

Far from an expert , but did not realize GB made a 3.9l engine . I know nothing about it . Live and learn .

Originally Posted By: mk378
Older models are hard for dealers to sell because the finance companies they use almost all have a hard limit on the age of the car. They wouldn't consider writing a loan for a 12 year old model regardless of miles. So age does trump miles when it comes to book value.

It’s semantics in play. I go for a low mileage car, not a newer car of higher mileage, but I still expect a better price because it’s older.

I finally found my Lucerne a couple months ago after a about a year of looking, I was in no hurry though. I was being picky and wanted a certain color with no leather and sunroof and a must was the 3800. It's an 08 with 78k on it and paid $7500 for it. Used cars like this are not cheap around here and sell pretty fast. The car was owned by an older lady and doesn't have one door ding on her. Did I pay to much, probably but I got exactly what I wanted.

I would give the guy the $6k and run before someone else comes along and buys it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
For someone who typically only owns used cars that are 10-15 yrs old, age is not an issue. It comes down to condition, maintenance, and how it was driven.

Everything on the car is already 12 years old. Hoses, belts, fuel lines, etc. It's a bad idea to leave an original timing belt on a 12-year-old car even if it only has 27,000 miles on it. (That's just an example since this engine doesn't have a timing belt.)

Age may not be as big an issue as mileage or how it was driven, but I wouldn't say it's not an issue. Especially in the rust belt, though that's not a problem for the OP's area.

Just wanting to keep the OP on his toes and not have him completely dismiss the age as a non-factor.

Having said that, and of course not knowing the specific history of this specific car, it's hard to ask for a better overall engine. The newer 3.6 that GM has been putting into so many vehicles is a fail compared to this engine. I consider GM's full-size V6 boats like this from the 1990s and 2000s to be great all-around cars. With some problems such as 90s rust and needing a coolant fix. I consider various of the transmissions mediocre, but Honda wasn't doing better around that time either.

Hopefully the size isn't a problem, since it's replacing a Yaris. This is a big car. Good for comfort and gobbling up miles, not as good for parking.

So I had a chance to check out the car yesterday.
It’s nice. Has a ton of features except the V8 and moonroof.
Everything works and the engine sounds great. The 3.8 must not make a lot of power as it didn’t get up
Very well. That’s ok. All the fluids need to be changed as the brake fluid was dark and the coolant looked clean but pink. I always
Thought dexcool was orange? I am going to buy it. Thanks for all the replies.

Our 2006 Lacrosse 3.8l has plenty of power for me . Then , I am an old man and drive like one . With my eye on the MPG display , coasting as much as I can .

I have done 1 oil / filter change , at 3000 miles OCI , since we purchased t last June . Been working on the other fluids . Turkey baster method on power steering and brakes . PS pump is hard to find , much less get to . Doubt they get much attention / service .

Bought this from HF & used it to suck out 1 gallon of ATF from the tranny . Added 4 quart of new Dexron VI . Have not dropped the pan and replaced filter .

Replaced the plastic coolant elbows with metal ones .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=buick+3.8l+coolant+elbow

Also replaced the hoses , tstat , serpentine belt and air filters .

when I removed the lower radiator hose , I put 1 gallon of 100% Dexcool back into the cooling system . The old stuff lookes a little orange , maybe a little pink .

Best of luck to you . :)

I like the 2010 - 2015 Buick Lacrosse as well! 2006 Buick Lucerne is a good car and should be very reliable with proper maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back