Miss Under Load in '97 Buick 3.8 6 Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to figure out an intermittent miss under load in my Mom's car. 3.8 v6 Buick. Today I was checking it out and as I was pressing down the spark plugs on what I would call the
coil, one plug wire was loose. It was the one that goes to the #6 post. It's that junction box looking thing where the spark plugs start their way to the plugs. After I removed
the spark plug cap the metal post was rusted like nobody's business. I took some sandpaper and went to work and reattached the spark plug wire. I didn't get to drive it but was
wondering with this plethora of wisdom here on this forum if you think this rusty connection could cause a slight intermittent miss under load?

The part that the non-plug end of the wire connects to is the coil. Pairs of spark wires attach to one of the three coils. The coils generate the high voltage for the sparks. Each coil fires two plugs at the same time. (This is called a waste-fire system because only one of the plugs actually has a fuel charge in its cylinder when it fires.)

If the end of the wire and the coil terminal are corroded or burnt, need to replace both. Definitely put on a wireset (all 6 wires) and replace any coils that are not clean.

Last edited:
Yes, a new spark plug wire set is relatively inexpensive. Keep a check on the coolant level as these have an issue with the intake manifold failing and ingesting coolant.

I had a 92 lesabre and had a similar problem; if you can find a dark area @ night, run the engine and rev it and check around the coil. I had visible shorting between the plug wires; I had the rectangular shaped coil with 3 plug wires on each side. Just a test b4 you start throwing $$ at it.

If the connections at the coil and wires are rusty, they need replaced. Do it right, replace the control module, all 3 coils, wires and plugs.

It was just the #6 coil plug that was rusty. Still replace them all?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
It was just the #6 coil plug that was rusty. Still replace them all?

If this car is going to be around for a while I would. A lot of times a misfire will take out the control module, that's the part the coils sit on top of.

I think I have an OE module and coils here for that car with about 25K on them. I can look around if you want them just pay the post.

Trav,
Yes. Please! You still have my address? Just finished changing her oil in the rain. I drained it overnight and didn’t anticipate this morning’s rain. Gotta take it back to her today.

I’ve told you I love you too much. People might get the wrong idea.

Anyways, once again you are there for me
smile.gif

I found the module and 2 coils, I will look for the third one later today, these are off a 2000 GTP block donor engine (same module and coils as yours).
I may have used the third coil or given it to someone I don't remember. Anyway these will get you started. PM me and I will send them out tomorrow if you want them.

Found the third coil. Going out tomorrow AM. The three extra seals are new.

To install it, remove the old and put a piece of masking tape over the connector (you don't want iron rust in the connector) and wire brush the mounting pad clean.
Apply some thermal past to the bottom of the module where it sits on the mount and install the module and coils. Something like this is fine, you can find it at any electronics store.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0087X728K

Trav, why don't you just clean em up and put that thermo stuff where it is supposed to go?

Think of the time it will save you after I start PM'ing you asking for additional help???

Last edited:
Just funning with you! Thanks so much! My Mom will be so Happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back