2007 Honda Accord LX Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone has an 07 Accord with AT and 163K miles? I am planning to go and look at one this weekend(hopefully).

Besides obvious things, are there any expensive items on it which would be needing replacement? Any other feedback or tips?

Pull the dipstick and see if it's low on oil. Many owners don't replace the pcv valve and they start to use oil. The internal spring usually breaks at around the 60k mark. Also take a look at the atf. Hopefully it's been replaced a few times during it's life. Check other fluid levels. All in all a very good reliable car if it hasn't been abused. A guy on here bought one with 583k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Anyone has an 07 Accord with AT and 163K miles? I am planning to go and look at one this weekend(hopefully).

Besides obvious things, are there any expensive items on it which would be needing replacement? Any other feedback or tips?

I have one from same year but half the mileage. Runs like new, no problems. Except bushings, they don’t age well and become mushy. Ask for a suspension check. I had to replace the “compliance bushings” on the front and the stabilizer bar bushings on the back. Not big deal unless there’s lots of rust on the front and they can’t save the arm.

2007 was the last year with the old school non turbo non direct injection 2.4 liter engine. Legendary reliability.

Originally Posted By: nap

I have one from same year but half the mileage. Runs like new, no problems. Except bushings, they don’t age well and become mushy. Ask for a suspension check. I had to replace the “compliance bushings” on the front and the stabilizer bar bushings on the back. Not big deal unless there’s lots of rust on the front and they can’t save the arm.

2007 was the last year with the old school non turbo non direct injection 2.4 liter engine. Legendary reliability.

Umm, no. 2007 was the last year for the Gen 7 Accord, but the K24 carried over to the Gen 8, so was available through 2012.
My mother has a first year Gen 7 bought new. A nice car that has far better handling than my Gen 8.
If the car seems okay and is priced right, it's probably a good pick. If it's had reasonable maintenance, it should continue well past 200K, especially since you live in an area where serious rust shouldn't be an issue.
Incidentally, the only real differences between an LX and an EX are the hole in the roof and the wheels along with the slightly nicer interior and six disc in-dash CD changer the EX offers. I think the EX four also has slightly higher rated BHP, but nothing that would light your hair on fire.

I personally like Gen 7 because Gen 8 had some issues in 2008 and 2009 years.

Hence, I picked TSX earlier than 08 Accord.

Not sure if this LX has drums on rear or discs?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I think the EX four also has slightly higher rated BHP, but nothing that would light your hair on fire.

Yeah my original window sticker mentions added options on mine (EX-L model) something like an upgrade exhaust and more aggressive tune adding maybe 20hp?

At 163k, you need to make sure that valves are adjusted recently (or in the past). If not, you should definitely take care of them, along with the spark plugs.

If you really want to buy this car, I would change all fluids, maybe a thermostat, PCV valve, serpentine belt, and you are good to go.

2007 was the last year with the old school non turbo non direct injection 2.4 liter engine.

That's not true. A friend of mine bought 2010 EX-L with non turbo non DI K24 engine.

Not sure if this LX has drums on rear or discs?

The LX has rear drum brakes and the EX has 4 wheel disc brakes. Also no difference in HP between an LX and EX for 07.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think the EX four also has slightly higher rated BHP, but nothing that would light your hair on fire.

Yeah my original window sticker mentions added options on mine (EX-L model) something like an upgrade exhaust and more aggressive tune adding maybe 20hp?

It's not just different tune and exhaust. Cylinder head is completely different. LX has K24Z2 engine, whereas EX has K24Z3. K24Z3 has also slightly higher CR.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

177 hp in the LX and SE sedans, 190 hp for the LX-S coupe and EX sedans and coupes for 2012.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the 2.4 has a timing chain, not a belt. I kept trying to find info on changing the belt on ours then found out it had a chain. Ours has 155k, knock on wood, only had to replace the oxygen sensor and battery. We got it with 83k on it. Right now it needs the "mode motor" I think its called. It is what moves the heat or air from floor to dash vents to defrost. Oh, and 2 starters. When it goes, it acts like a weak battery. Trust me when I tell you to just go ahead and get the OEM Honda one. The one I got from Napa lasted about a year. Other than that I can't complain.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

At 163k, you need to make sure that valves are adjusted recently (or in the past). If not, you should definitely take care of them, along with the spark plugs.

If you really want to buy this car, I would change all fluids, maybe a thermostat, PCV valve, serpentine belt, and you are good to go.

2007 was the last year with the old school non turbo non direct injection 2.4 liter engine.

That's not true. A friend of mine bought 2010 EX-L with non turbo non DI K24 engine.

What if valves have never been touched? Does it mean we should avoid it? Or look at it first and then decide?

Originally Posted By: dmoses42
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the 2.4 has a timing chain, not a belt. I kept trying to find info on changing the belt on ours then found out it had a chain. Ours has 155k, knock on wood, only had to replace the oxygen sensor and battery. We got it with 83k on it. Right now it needs the "mode motor" I think its called. It is what moves the heat or air from floor to dash vents to defrost. Oh, and 2 starters. When it goes, it acts like a weak battery. Trust me when I tell you to just go ahead and get the OEM Honda one. The one I got from Napa lasted about a year. Other than that I can't complain.

2 starters? That's a lot. Is it easy to do? On one of my older accord, starter was never needed to be replaced until I sold it at 256K.

02 sensor, I'll see if it's there in maintenance history.

Maybe I need to buy a mini-van and be done with this [censored] car shopping
laugh.gif

"What if valves have never been touched? Does it mean we should avoid it? Or look at it first and then decide?"

Exhaust valves tighten and if not adjusted will begin to burn the valves. If oil service has not been timely it stretches timing chains. The automatic transmissions are the weak link.

Originally Posted By: 229
"What if valves have never been touched? Does it mean we should avoid it? Or look at it first and then decide?"

Exhaust valves tighten and if not adjusted will begin to burn the valves. If oil service has not been timely it stretches timing chains. The automatic transmissions are the weak link.

True dat, will go and see the service history and then decide from there.

Changing the starter isn't terribly difficult. You have to take the intake manifold off, but it honestly isn't that bad. Yeah, I found out after I put the Napa starter on that it is HIGHLY recommended on the Honda forums to use an OEM starter. Sure enough, the reman didn't last. There are some good youtube videos out there showing how to change it. I think ours had 140-145K when the starter went initially, so if you get the OEM one, theoretically you should be able to go about that distance again.

Thanks everyone.

Car was a waste of time and search continues...

Starter on that thing was replaced though.

I don't know why you settled on 07 Honda Accord only even though they're generally good cars

my recommendation, look for 08 or 13 Mazda6i or its sibling 08; 13 Ford Fusion I4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back