Wireless Router recommendation under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a AC1750 tp link router configured as Wireless Access Point (DHCP off and Ethernet plugged into hub ports).

In unison with my provider internet speed increase to 200 Mbps it started locking up daily and multiple times. Annoyed I guessed software so installed ddrt. Guesss what same thing. Ugh.

My old Cisco E3000 router took over no issues but slow and gets overwhelmed with 15 wireless connections.

Any suggestions for a good router around $150 to be used as wireless access point?

I bought a refurbished Netgear R7000 from Amazon for around $90 a few months ago. I'm running Tomato on it, just out of habit. It's supposed to run very well on DDWRT as well. So far I'm very happy with it.

I think new one is around $150 or so.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Do you need a wap or a router. I am a big fan of ubiquity and have some wap's if you are interested. Older version of the unifi ap

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#default

I second that! Grab a UniFi AP AC LR or AP AC PRO and an Edgerouter X for a nice stable system (it's what I run!). If your TP-Link works as a wired router, you could even skip the Edgerouter and just get an AP.

Edit: Your Cisco would work as the router as well. If it still gets bogged down with traffic, you can try a different router.

Slickdeals had some Tmobile branded Asus dual band routers for sale a few weeks back.

It was a pretty decent project for around 50 bucks.

Basically you use some network tools to put the OEM asus firmware on there, then you can load DDWRT or whatever open source router firmware you like.

I put DDWRT on mine, its been a nice performance increase over my aging TP-Link router.

That is the sub 100 price point.

Obviously a Ubiquity system would be much better but it depends on how big your house is.

HP makes a cloud-managed Access Point, it's their entry-level SMB AP and while I've had a few hiccups with them installed in Doctors offices due to the app used to manage them (which has been resolved), they work roughly as well as their more expensive Aruba siblings.

This is the one I'm thinking of: HP OfficeConnect OC20 Access Point

Build a pfSense router, buy a refurb pc, a intel based dual nic, and a cheap 120gb ssd. You will be able to connect to your vpn subscription service which home routers lack in cpu cycles for the encryption/decryption. I allowed my work colleague to borrow my 7th gen Intel 4.2ghz pfsense router and test it on his fios 1gb Internet service. He was able to vpn down/up @250-350 mbits. Limited by vpn service and not by the cpu cycles. All devices on the home network are protected by vpn.

Amazon has the ASUS AC5300. Normally it's pretty pricey but you can get a refurbished one for $199. The thing is a triband powerhouse.

Amazons AC5300

Scroll just a little ways down and click on the New And Used link to find the refurbished items.

I stopped buying routers as soon as I started paying for Internet access. I just bug them until I fall "in scope" for a router upgraded sans annoying fees. You guys seeing this "balderdash"?!

Im not an expert on routers by any means, even though I have a rock solid network at home, actually two. TP link modem and TPlink archer c7 ac 1750 (which I assume is yours too)
Also plugged into the back of the Tplink router is a Cisco wireless router with a VPN to my wifes company in another state.
Everything ALWAYS works perfect, NEVER needs a reset.

SO I have to question why you are having an issue with Internet since being upgraded to 200 Mbps, which is very good but nothing exceptional anymore.

I cant help feel maybe since you know so much about routers you some how messed yours up.
Im wondering if you can default the router back to OEM and then update it to the latest firmware if that will solve your issue.

With that said, I, like you, over time just may want to try something new, for me, if I was to do that, I would chose another TP Link, my experience has been so wonderful with the current, as well as price so reasonable, I have no reason to switch and honestly find that post from Rand pretty enticing for the archer a2300

Anyway, good luck, for me, if I every change routers, it will be a new TP Link, when I buy a product that doesnt let me down I stay with the company as long as the reasons to are still there, price and reliability.

Ive been computing for decades, never had such a solid router, mot bad for the $70 I paid for it over two years ago (with rebate)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
.. when I buy a product that doesnt let me down..

That is until it lets you down. I had that with an Archer. Dumpster was the destination, and it was not a virtual one.

I love this ActionTec router. Right off the bat, I saw some connections and it was my ISP so ever since that, I unplugged the internet from the tv ever since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I had a AC1750 tp link router configured as Wireless Access Point (DHCP off and Ethernet plugged into hub ports).

In unison with my provider internet speed increase to 200 Mbps it started locking up daily and multiple times. Annoyed I guessed software so installed ddrt. Guesss what same thing. Ugh.

My old Cisco E3000 router took over no issues but slow and gets overwhelmed with 15 wireless connections.

Any suggestions for a good router around $150 to be used as wireless access point?

As per my earlier recommendation just skip the router if you are just going to turn it into an AP and buy a real AP. The HP unit I recommended earlier is solid, if you need more features, the Aruba Instant models are also relatively affordable and are highly configurable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back