The Only Pontiac El Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea this even existed, 1959 El Camino is my favorite car. 59 was when GM styling peaked.

"After a later stint serving as the college car for the retail store’s son where it took on significant wear and tear, the one-and-only El Catalina was purchased by Darrel Lotridge, who then set about restoring it."

Wow, lead a tough life as a 300hp delivery vehicle and then a commuter with no major accidents or mechanical failures that would send it to the yard.

Custom pick-up conversions often do the same thing, cut the back off the wagon and use the floor as the bed.

It is funny that they cancelled this but oked the GMC Caballero 20 years later

Very cool.
I bet it gets more than the 125 called out in the article.
I've often thought GM should bring back the Pontiac name and apply it to unique, limited edition cars. Seems like T/A conversions from Camaro's are popular, and I'd really like to see a CTS derived convertible GTO with a 502 big block and classic Poncho styling.

That's a pretty neat vehicle and story. Too bad with all the car-based SUVs these days, the most we can get of this type is the Honda Ridgeline.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Very cool.
I bet it gets more than the 125 called out in the article.
I've often thought GM should bring back the Pontiac name and apply it to unique, limited edition cars. Seems like T/A conversions from Camaro's are popular, and I'd really like to see a CTS derived convertible GTO with a 502 big block and classic Poncho styling.

I agree. Those $$ projections seem very low for a one of a kind vehicle like this.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't be surprise either if it sold for more than the estimate, nice car, shame they didn't mass produce it.

Those early years Ranchero and El Camino were sharp looking. They were a niche market product though. Nevertheless they had their fan base. Back then pickups were for work and ranchers/farmers.

Hmmm, "...shame they didn't mass produce it." Really? How many people you are even tangentially connected to bought an El Camino?

Near me, Hackensack Radiator runs a small fleet of El Caminos. They are beat on and vile.

'59 being GM's design pinnacle? Arguable.

One of Bunkie's rare mistakes in not putting that one out for production.

My grandmother had a white '59 Catalina. Beautiful car. She always called it "the Pontiac" ...

Take a close look at the rear bumper's left (driver's side) side.

Looks like it was tapped. It's up. There's a gap on the right side-no such gap on the left.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Chevrolet full size 1955-1963 probably the best styling in American automotive history.
Tri-Fives and Bubble Top Impalas are so iconic. 58 and 59 are awesome, 60 and 61 not as good, but as good as anything else at that time.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
They put the doors on backwards. I know it was the styling of the time but it looks weird on that thing.

LOL, yeah, when I looked at this pic, I had to look twice to see which end was the front. It almost looks like it has a really long hood and suicide doors. The rear window looks a lot like the windshield.

Amazing that thing didn't get crushed...or even has a VIN that could be registered for the road. Definitely would never get away with that today. It's sad what they do to all those cool concept cars...instead of crushing they should at least go in a museum somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hmmm, "...shame they didn't mass produce it." Really? How many people you are even tangentially connected to bought an El Camino?

Near me, Hackensack Radiator runs a small fleet of El Caminos. They are beat on and vile.

Yes Really! Mass produced doesn't necessarily mean a large quantity even a small amount of units qualifies as mass produced even if it is a limited productiony.
It was better looking than an Econoline pickup or Corvair pickup and those were "mass" produced. I still know people with El Camino and Ford Ranchero vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back