Recommended and specified? what's the difference?

I was looking through my Civic's owners manual and noticed that engine oil is "recommended" and all other fluids are specified? does specified means that this and only this can be used?

The way I read it, if something is specified/required, you risk losing your warranty if you don't adhere to it when problems arise as a result.

well, that's exactly where my question is. I'm confused with wording: recommended - does it allow substitute? specified - doesn't???

Please read the Warranty document, it says that you have to use the recommended items too in order to keep the warranty. So they’re basically “required” from waranty pov. The waranty doc comes on a CD or can be downloaded from Honda website. I suggest it’s worth reading.

I understand it is "required". What I'm asking is what is the difference between recommended and specified?

Best way to find out would be to ask Honda.

Just as a matter of opinion, my take is that “specified” means you don’t really have any alternatives that would work e.g. the transmission fluid for the ZF9. While with recommended, you may have alternatives that would work, although they are not covered by warranty e.g. engine oil.

Good. with that said, oil in the manual is "recommended" and not specified. which means I'm not obligated to use what Honda recommends, correct?

Note. All this is just hypothetical and I'm not trying to justify use of anything else but recommended oil. This is just my observation that I found quite interesting

You have to use “recommended” if you want to keep the warranty. The Warranty Information is pretty clear on that.

The word “recommended” is just a very veiled suggestion that, once out of warranty, you may find a working substitute.

The word “specified” suggest that there’s no good substitute, and you’ll most likely break your car (or run afoul of the law in case of e.g. the bulbs) by trying something else.

Originally Posted By: nap
You have to use “recommended” if you want to keep the warranty. The Warranty Information is pretty clear on that.

Where is it clear on that? We had a long discussion a while back on warranty requirements and oils, and no one was able to quote an owner's manual or warranty booklet where it tied warranty coverage to oil grade or even specification. In fact none of my (admittedly old) manuals ever mention oil choice being connected to warranty coverage.

The language may be different in Canada, I don't know. But here in the US I don't see how you violate your warranty by deviating from the recommendations.

Honda has a separate document that comes with the car, called Warranty Information. It is explained there, not in the Owner’s Manual document.

Honda has a separate document that comes with the car, called Warranty Information. It is explained there, not in the Owner’s Manual document.

Can you quote it? My Toyota cars also had warranty booklets but they don't say anything about oil grade.

If Honda recommends M1 oil that doesn’t mean you have to use M1. You can use whatever brand you wish as long as it meets specs. Same goes for transmission fluid or engine coolant.

If Honda specifies a certain fluid then they are being particular or exacting about that decision. Just like a automaker specifying a particular spec that oils must meet. BMW LL or VW 507 as two examples.

Frankly, and not to be mean here, but this is elementary school English we are talking about. Yes it’s hard to remember some meanings but that is why the dictionary and thesaurus exist for.

Can you post a link or a screenshot where it says that 'recommended' = 'required'.

If it's really the way you describe, then Honda has used poor choice of words. They should have just called it 'required' to avoid confusion.

Back