2018 Honda Civic Si, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How does the engine sound near then end of the OCI?
If it clattery I would substitute a litre or two of youe M1 10w30 with your AFE.
No use spinning a rod bearing over owner's manual fundamentalism. No need or want to go whle hog 30 grade in this Honda.

BTW does this engine have VVT along with vtec?

Ignore all of this.

Originally Posted By: jayg
How does the engine sound near then end of the OCI?
If it clattery I would substitute a litre or two of youe M1 10w30 with your AFE. No use spinning a rod bearing over owner's manual fundamentalism. No need or want to go whle hog 30 grade in this Honda.

Ignore all of this.

+1

Last edited:
If you want to be an "Ignoramus"

jayg are you even qualified to offer professional advice?

Let me answer for you: By your profile - NO.

crackmeup2.gif

You've blown up how many bone stock econoboxes in the last few years and weren't embarrassed enough to hide it on here? I've blown up exactly zero actual race cars. Not sure what you are going off of "by my profile" but I'd say I have a pretty solid track record when it comes to lubrication. You on the other hand....

You're talking about being hyper sensitive to sound and colors, making special little blends, getting bad fuel all time, spinning bearings.... in the most random pedestrian cars. Everyone that has been here a while just disregards your non-sense. Some of the stuff you write might be found by new people who don't know any better and could take bad advice to their determent or at least waste their time.

Im at 9100 miles on my 2018 SI. I changed the factory fill at 5k w/ PP 0w20. Ill hit 10k in 2 weeks and change it then. Ill be submitting a sample to oil analyzers. I forgot to fill the sample at 5k. It would have been nice to have that sample as it was pretty much winter only and compare to this sample.

Originally Posted By: jayg
If you want to be an "Ignoramus"

jayg are you even qualified to offer professional advice?

Let me answer for you: By your profile - NO.

crackmeup2.gif

You've blown up how many bone stock econoboxes in the last few years and weren't embarrassed enough to hide it on here? I've blown up exactly zero actual race cars. Not sure what you are going off of "by my profile" but I'd say I have a pretty solid track record when it comes to lubrication. You on the other hand....

You're talking about being hyper sensitive to sound and colors, making special little blends, getting bad fuel all time, spinning bearings.... in the most random pedestrian cars. Everyone that has been here a while just disregards your non-sense. Some of the stuff you write might be found by new people who don't know any better and could take bad advice to their determent or at least waste their time.

Of course. More Thug casting of aspersions, straw man pointing east and west. Sad. cant engage in a proper semi-technical argument as an adult.

Like I said, rude , bullying Ignoramus.

Adding to the back and forth with Jayg's comments, I would have to say I agree on raising oil to 5w-30 with ANY turbo DI motor, and their inherent fuel dilution. In many cases 5w-40on hard used turbos. With 0w-20 all you are satisfying is a CAFE standard brought to by government/environmentalists, and by NO MEANS engine builders. We would NEVER of had 5w/0w-20, let alone 0w-16 if it wasn't for CAFE. As for the rod comment he may have a point if it was a hard used older ( maybe newer??)Hyundai turbo with their thin big end rod design that they try to cover up with increased oil pressure.

Last edited:
Much as I agree with sticking to what the manual says during warranty..etc...etc...I'd have a really hard time not moving up to a 30-weight on a vehicle like this where we KNOW FD thins the oil into the 10-weight range.

Yes, wear metals stay low, but who's to say down the road there won't be an epidemic of worn-out turbo Honda engines?

Remember, no-one expected problems with Hyundai's bread-and-butter 2.4 engine, but look whats happening - are turbo Honda engines next?

I'm dumping the M1 AFE 0W-20 this weekend. Going to run Redline 5W-30 since it's so [censored] hot out right now and see what happens. I doubt anything bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back