Diff Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
When filling the Differential do you fill it and immediately install fill plug or wait for the fluid to quit dripping out ?

I don't think it matters. It doesn't require a precise level of fluid.

I fill it until a slow stream drips out, tighten the plug, start the car and drive it forward and in reverse several times to settle the fluid. I then remove the plug again and do a final top off (it always ends up taking a few more pumps of fluid).

I would immediately install the fill plug. The extra few teaspoonfuls are added insurance should the fluid start weeping. I doubt you could overfill it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
When filling the Differential do you fill it and immediately install fill plug or wait for the fluid to quit dripping out ?

That's how I do it.
Some applications state that if you insert your pinky and can feel fluid on the end of it, that's enough as well.
BTW, I use a gasket instead of RTV. It's a guaranteed seal, and you can fill the differential immediately afterwards, instead of waiting for the RTV to dry.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

An ounce is not going to make any difference, also remember that you are filling the fluid COLD, when you drive the vehicle the fluid will get hot and expand. A word to the wise when changing diff fluid or any fluid for that matter. Remove the fill plug first, then the drain plug. There is nothing worse than draining a diff only to find out you don't have the right socket or tool to remove the fill plug, ask me how I know!

I make sure the vehicle is level or very close to it. As the gear oil starts do flow out I put the plug back in and call it good.

I fill it until the fluids drips out of the fill hole. Many cars and trucks call for fluid to be about 10mm below the fill plug, but I never had a problem going all the way up.

Having the vehicle on a level surface is extremely important, I'm not sure what to do if you have to repair your truck on an uneven surface.

I pump the fluid until it starts to leak out but I install the plug immediately, not so much to keep more fluid in, but more to keep the fripping fluid from messing up the diff housing and my garage floor. Never had any issues with it being filled up to much

Last edited:
With my manual pump it takes time to fill the diff. So the oil does not pour out. When it begins to dribble I cap it and like others have said, go drive it around a bit and check later to ensure the oil has been distributed in the diff. This method has yet to fail me.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I fill it until a slow stream drips out, tighten the plug, start the car and drive it forward and in reverse several times to settle the fluid. I then remove the plug again and do a final top off (it always ends up taking a few more pumps of fluid).

I do different . I drive couple 8 figure . Park it and pop the fill plug . Check if fluid right on top. Next 2-3 day I do keep eyes on it. After that . Change every 60k or 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back