Fiat 500 Abarth as daily commuter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This fun little pocket rocket seems to check many of the boxes for a fun little commuter car that gets decent mileage. Thoughts?

We had a regular 500 as a rental when my wife's van was in the body shop after a deer strike. We liked it. Fiat's reliability is a little spotty but get an extended warranty and go for it.

They have some issues, but can be picked up extremely cheap. They also sound terrific. I would suggest driving both the Abarth and a Fiesta ST to see which you prefer.

The Fiat 500 base and a little less the Abrath are very popular here in Mexico City due to parking limitations and the price of gas (almost $4 usd/gal) I have seen these up close and they feel and look cheap. The people that live next to US have an Abrath and other than the sound again I'm not impressed. While it may be an ok commuter vehicle, its small size and reliability really limit the vehicle. Oh btw I'm 6'1" and sitting in the car I could use some more leg room.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
This fun little pocket rocket seems to check many of the boxes for a fun little commuter car that gets decent mileage. Thoughts?

European cars are not as forgiving on poor maintenance, do your mechanical maintenance when due with whatever fluids are recommended and you'll be fine. I had a FIAT 124 4Dr and though not classified as sporty it was a blast to drive.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
The Fiat 500 base and a little less the Abrath are very popular here in Mexico City due to parking limitations and the price of gas (almost $4 usd/gal) I have seen these up close and they feel and look cheap. The people that live next to US have an Abrath and other than the sound again I'm not impressed. While it may be an ok commuter vehicle, its small size and reliability really limit the vehicle. Oh btw I'm 6'1" and sitting in the car I could use some more leg room.

Yeah, I am barely 5'9", and had the seat all the way back on my test drive. Interior quality isn't great...but not really bad either. Nothing stood out as poor, and the seats seemed really good.

Originally Posted By: Pelican

European cars are not as forgiving on poor maintenance, do your mechanical maintenance when due with whatever fluids are recommended and you'll be fine. I had a FIAT 124 4Dr and though not classified as sporty it was a blast to drive.

I have owned Audi, BMW (several), VW, and Mercs...so I am totally in the know on the additional maintenance. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
As a former Fiat owner, I'd say beware of the unreliability.

...and that is a very important thing to note indeed (for both FIAT and MINI)

Thanks.

Last edited:
The new Fiat 500, VW beetle, and Mini are nothing like the original basic cheap transport that strongly reflects their ethnic origins, except in stying.
The Mini has become a relatively expensive mid size (by European standards) car that sell on nostalgia.
The Fiat and Beetle have gone even further away from their original concepts, a simple car pushed along by a simple air cooled engine at the back, into sophisticated and necessarily complex - to meet current regulations, and somewhat expensive for their size cars.

But if you like driving the Fiat, and are prepared to accept less than bombproof reliability, enjoy!.

Claud.

If you can get a smoking deal on a used one, why not? I wouldn't buy one new, you'll never be able to sell it.

My neighbor has a recent one and I drove it home dropping him off at airport.

Absolute hoot to drive even slow if push the Sport mode which he did for me. Really poorly made car, steps below those Euro models you mention however again a hoot to drive.

Almost got one. Almost. Decided to get a Nissan Juke Nismo. Better quality and feel. Almost as fun with the turbo 6 speed. Sound isn’t as good but that’s it everything else is better.

Guy I work with and I was in the Navy with has one for a daily commuter. 60ish miles each way. He is at 80,000 miles right now. No issues.

I gave him a hard time when he got it, but he loves it and it has been a fun little car for him!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
As a former Fiat owner, I'd say beware of the unreliability.

As a owner of 3 Fiats, I'd rather say beware of the poor maintenance that gives poor reliability. Also many mechanics don't know how to deal with them...

My wife has a 2012 Abarth that she bought new.
It currently has a smidge over 30k miles on it, and it has been a really good car.
One actual part failed, and it was the tire pressure sensor in one of the wheels.

Because of her car, several of our friends have also bought Fiats.
Two bought convertible Abarths, and bought a base 500 Pop.

No one has had any problems with the cars as a whole, and the TPS in my wifes car is so far the biggest issue in these 4 cars.

When it comes to interior quality, you have to remember, this is a $12k car you are buying.
The base Fiat 500 was designed to meet a $12k price tag, and that's the interior class you are going to get.
If you are expecting a $50k car interior, you will be disappointed.

And anyone who spouts off FIAT = Fix It Again Tony should simply be ignored, as they have no direct experience with the brand, other than reading things other people say, and trying to seem clever. Good one, guys. I bet no one has ever heard that one before. Do you happen to have any of those for other brands, like Ford or Pontiac?

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back