Pennzoil 0w-16 is Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Cavalier got over 40mpg highway. 2.2 ecotec using 5w30 castrol high mileage. How about putting the cars on a diet, instead of trying to reduce friction in the oil?

'How about putting the cars on a diet, instead of trying to reduce friction in the oil?"

It was done long ago..
Remember the Civic? #6 in the top ten list of all time fuel efficient cars.
Never gonna get better until the petroleum industry releases control of the auto industry.

1995 Honda Civic HB

1995 Honda Civic HB VX

Combined MPG: 43

City MPG: 39

Highway MPG: 50

Cylinders: 4

Engine Size in Liters: 1.5

Transmission: Manual

Similar Models: 1992-1994

Another Honda Civic makes the list. This VX was the new HF in this fifth generation Honda Civic. The HF stands for High Fuel economy, and that is exactly what Honda wanted from this coupe, nearly a decade before hybrids were introduced. Honda has a long history of mileage, check out Honda's High Mileage Club to learn more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Stupid oil, Stupid Honda.

I don't think Honda specs that oil in any car currently? I believe only the 2018 Camry calls for this viscosity.

CAFE has no hold on me. As a result, I will use whatever the rest of the world specs for that specific engine and it never is a 20wt and definitely won't be a 16wt oil.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
My 2003 Cavalier got over 40mpg highway. 2.2 ecotec using 5w30 castrol high mileage. How about putting the cars on a diet, instead of trying to reduce friction in the oil?

Devil's advocate:

Now small cars can get that same mileage with infotainment systems and mandatory 36 airbags all over the place. Cars are safer and more efficient than they have ever been.

Cars and truck are on a diet but also being equipped with loads of extra features (because they have to) and yet are still posting great numbers overall.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Would love to see the NOACK on that

It’s matched to the TGDI engines fuel dilution, the average owner won’t notice anything.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
It’s matched to the TGDI engines fuel dilution, the average owner won’t notice anything.
True there. A 0w20 becomes a 0w16 really fast with fuel dilution. Now if you START with a 0w16 fresh, you might have a 0w10 after a few miles.
Maybe these fuel dilution issue with Hondas, Ecoboosts, others, might put the brakes on migrating to 0w16. Too thin to start with.

"Too thin" depends on bearing loading, you know, the pressure put on bearing surfaces. Widen the bearing, then you can use thinner oils. The engineers know where the wear threshold is. Experimental set-ups I've seen graphs for show a pretty sudden increase in wear at some point, depending on the engine, maybe HTHS=2.0 wear goes up a lot. I guess the engineers could get that to HTHS=1.8 or something by increasing bearing surface area (rings, journals, cam lobes, etc.).

LOL all you thin oil bandwagon members rejoice!!!! Funny to see so many here saying NOPE, but yet you're an advocate of 0W20!

Not this fella!! I'll NEVER run anything thinner than a 5W30 in ANY vehicle ANYwhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back