Do I need a low profile jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shopping through HFs selection of three ton floor Jack's and I'm overwhelmed.. Yeah that easy.

Anyone else have or had a first generation focus... Did you need a low profile jack to get under the car?

I have the low profile jack. I think it actually lifts an inch or two higher tban the others. It is handy when you don't have a lot of clearance.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

Anyone else have or had a first generation focus... Did you need a low profile jack to get under the car?

I've owned an 03 ZX5, 05 ZX4, and an 07 ZX4 SES
None of them required a low profile jack. Not even for oil changes!

Low profile jacks can help but it's just as easy (and a lot cheaper) to drive onto a piece of wood to get more clearance under the car, that way your normal height jack does not need to be replaced and you save money!

How easy is it to measure?

A board is nice, but sounds like a pain.

Buy once and cry once if you need it.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Low profile jacks can help but it's just as easy (and a lot cheaper) to drive onto a piece of wood to get more clearance under the car, that way your normal height jack does not need to be replaced and you save money!

I am replacing my normal-height jack because several parts of it are worn out.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If you get a long low profile jack you can lift off of things you could only dream of before. No longer will you trash your pinchwelds.

The long-reach ones are a little over my budget for this purchase, but I like the idea of them.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Ever get a jack under there with a flat tire?

My main concern is getting something that will fit under the Focus (my current regular height jack does) and also lift enough, height-wise, to be useful on the Mountaineer.

I am replacing my normal-height jack because several parts of it are worn out.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If you get a long low profile jack you can lift off of things you could only dream of before. No longer will you trash your pinchwelds.

The long-reach ones are a little over my budget for this purchase, but I like the idea of them.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Ever get a jack under there with a flat tire?

My main concern is getting something that will fit under the Focus (my current regular height jack does) and also lift enough, height-wise, to be useful on the Mountaineer.

I like my low profile jack as it allows you to put a board on the jack to spread out the load, so I jack the whole side, or rear of the Focus up without worrying about bending something. To get both tires off the ground on the Outback I have to use a short chuck of 4x6 on top of the jack which seems quite stable. I also use it under the lawn tractor, trailer axles, even picking up my wooden shed to relevel it. I'd never get a normal jack again anyways.
They publish the lowest height and then the lift range so you can get a good idea how high it will lift.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I like my low profile jack as it allows you to put a board on the jack to spread out the load, so I jack the whole side, or rear of the Focus up without worrying about bending something. To get both tires off the ground on the Outback I have to use a short chuck of 4x6 on top of the jack which seems quite stable. I also use it under the lawn tractor, trailer axles, even picking up my wooden shed to relevel it. I'd never get a normal jack again anyways.
They publish the lowest height and then the lift range so you can get a good idea how high it will lift.

Looking more at what HF has on sale in the 3-ton range, I was first tempted by the standard profile 'Daytona' brand but it looks like the min height on that one is 5" whereas the regular gray HF low-profile jack has 2-7/8" min height with a higher max lift. I think this is the one I will get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Looking more at what HF has on sale in the 3-ton range, I was first tempted by the standard profile 'Daytona' brand but it looks like the min height on that one is 5" whereas the regular gray HF low-profile jack has 2-7/8" min height with a higher max lift. I think this is the one I will get.

That one looks good to me, lifts higher than mine as well. Is there an actual disadvantage to a low profile one? I don't think I'm going to wear mine out anyways.

Shopping through HFs selection of three ton floor Jack's and I'm overwhelmed.. Yeah that easy.

One thing to be aware of is you may see 2-3 jacks with the same specs, price, etc - they are the "same" jack overall. They will be identical except for the HF part number assigned to them. Apparently that indicates that different vendors produce the same part for HF but as far as you or I are concerned, they're the same. Just in case this is part of the overwhelming issue....

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

One thing to be aware of is you may see 2-3 jacks with the same specs, price, etc - they are the "same" jack overall. They will be identical except for the HF part number assigned to them. Apparently that indicates that different vendors produce the same part for HF but as far as you or I are concerned, they're the same. Just in case this is part of the overwhelming issue....

The Yellow HF Daytona was the same one that Snap-On sold. Snap-On sued HF because their advertising compared to two closely. I am not sure on the actual circumstances, as I was following the thread on the garage journal a year or two ago.

All floor jacks are made overseas now, based on similar designs (Hein Werner bought Walker way back when and immediately replaced their line with Walker's designs).

It might be a contributor, LOL, but I had always wondered why separate part numbers for two items that had the same pictures, specs and everything. I also hate when those two separate items have different reviews. They need to use the same part number with a -1 -2 etc instead of an entirely different number.

And I wish they would add a compare feature!

Last edited:
The point of the distinct part numbers is so that THEY can track quality, returns, etc based on the specific vendor.

I don't know how HF's review system works in that does it require proof that you purchased the item you're reviewing (some sites add a note like "Confirmed buyer"). Customers may add a review to the "wrong" part # if they only look at the description and it matches their purchase close enough.

An example of what I'm referring to is their "3 ton Low Profile Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump". There are (3) of them listed, all for $97.99. They do have (3) different item numbers, separate reviews, and so on.

The point of the distinct part numbers is so that THEY can track quality, returns, etc based on the specific vendor.

I don't know how HF's review system works in that does it require proof that you purchased the item you're reviewing (some sites add a note like "Confirmed buyer"). Customers may add a review to the "wrong" part # if they only look at the description and it matches their purchase close enough.

An example of what I'm referring to is their "3 ton Low Profile Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump". There are (3) of them listed, all for $97.99. They do have (3) different item numbers, separate reviews, and so on.

You have an account with HF that includes phone number and email account. They text and email upcoming sales, electronic copies of your receipt etc. They also email an invitation to review whatever you bought. After writing a review, it appears on their site within a week.

I just went to their website, picked a random item they sell, and on that page, clicked "Write a review". Anyone can write a review for any product, whether they've bought it or not.

I do see "Verified buyer" next to most reviews, FWIW. Let me check the negative reviews.... Most also show "Verified buyer".

+1. A number of times Ive borrowed the HF aluminum 1.5ton jack. Once I borrowed the extra long low profile jack from the same person. Reach wasn't long enough so I was better off sticking with my heavy hein warner and some 2x12s.

This was a few years ago, maybe the yellow Daytona is a better option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back