New computer advice: Mac vs Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a follow-up to my Hacker computer thread. I want to replace the Optiplex 760 that had the issue. It is getting too old to waste more time on it.

Needs: Someone who has very little technical skill and older. Likes: Browsing internet. Tons of photos to fiddle with. She uses Picasa for that. Die Hard AOL user. Email and lots of printing.

I would like to limit suggestions to what is available at Micro Center. It will make the task of getting a computer easier, plus she can check out a Mac and Windows 10 at the same time.

I have heard good things about Mac Mini. She already has a nice monitor. The good thing about a Mac is there is a Mac store close if she needs support. She already has an Iphone and Ipad. It will be a learning curve but may be better long term.

Windows 10 has features I know she will not like and some things she will miss. Less is more for her. What I do not like about Windows is the updates. My concern is she may need more troubleshooting with Windows 10.

So in summary with a Mac, less work for me, more for her. What do you think of a Mac compared to Windows?

Here is the Mac Mini I am looking at:
Apple Mac mini

One thought is to keep her old Windows computer for card games or programs she may miss but not use it online. What I like about the Mac mini is it will take up minimal space.

I almost always recommend. windows PCs to relatives asking. One big reason is that its way easier for me to help them troubleshoot over the phone because all I own are Windows systems. Win 7 and Win 10 currently. I also have no other apple devices currently.

That said, if there is an apple store close by this user will be able to get to for support, that may be a great choice. Macs are pretty simple for the most part. If she already has an Ipad and Iphone those devices will probably sync better with a Mac Mini as well. In this case the Mac looks like the better choice.

Windows updates aren't that big of a deal... I've never really had a major issue with them.

May I suggest an external HDD for backup (since tones of photos mentioned).
also for backup of emails in case AOL goes the way of the dodo bird...

also Memorial Day weekend is around the corner and Microcenter usually has great deals....

I would personally go for Windows 10, but my requirements are different. I have had iphone and macs before, some points to consider:

For the Mac, if there is enough drive space, you could install a VM of Windows, VMWare fusion is good and fast, virtualbox is slower (no hardware acceleration) but reliable.

Some good integrations between iphone and mac, such as facetime and messages, seamless photo sync to consider, as well as familiar terminology.

Also I think there is a learning moving from 7 to 10 that should be considered.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

also Memorial Day weekend is around the corner and Microcenter usually has great deals....

I backed up 50 gig of photos today on an external hard drive. The problem with waiting for sales is my work schedule. It would be better if I go with her. I will work that Friday-Monday. Would like it sooner than that also.

As far as AOL and not sure what to do since they are merging with Yahoo and Verizon. I expect problems based on my experience with AOL.

With Windows updates I tend to use old equipment. A newer, faster processor should make a difference.

As long as it's a current model Mac mini, it will have adequate drive space. Mini's use common laptop drives and they're easy to replace, so if you are shopping buy a configuration with the smallest drive possible, and replace with what you actually want / need & an external bay to hold the pulled drive.

Same with memory, buy the lowest configuration, and replace with the maximum configuration from a lifetime guarantee vendor / brand.

There is no need to run emulation if you want Windows, in fact if you really want, and like the format / configuration, you can just reformat the drive and use it as a Windows PC with no MacOS installed at all.

For her needs, as outlined by you, I don't think a new Mini is warranted at all. Buy a used Mac Mini from OtherWorldComputing, spend $300 and you're done.

Mac hardware is super reliable, people with no Mac experience are afraid of them but it's really quite easy, you almost never will have anyone ask you anything about the hardware. For Software, although it's easy, it's different from Windows, so people with no Mac experience fear hunting for an answer to a question that the best answer is "you don't need it" (eg drivers) and "is it Mac compatible" where the answer is "almost certainly yes, but the manufacturer is just like you, and doesn't know how to / want to support it, so they say no it's not".

I've never actually found a peripheral device that didn't work on the Mac (going back to a Mac Plus / System 6.0.8, circa 1988), and 90% of them were marked by the manufacturer as "not compatible".

I'm not a Mac evangelist, just someone who has used computers (MacOS,DOS, Amiga, BeOS, Windows, UNIX, Linux) for almost 30 years. I use all kinds of machines for all kinds of purposes, but the home rig has always been a Mac. I don't want to work that hard at home.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
I would personally go for Windows 10, but my requirements are different. I have had iphone and macs before, some points to consider:

For the Mac, if there is enough drive space, you could install a VM of Windows, VMWare fusion is good and fast, virtualbox is slower (no hardware acceleration) but reliable.

Some good integrations between iphone and mac, such as facetime and messages, seamless photo sync to consider, as well as familiar terminology.

She had a software that only worked on a Mac and I bought an old one off Ebay to run it. She stated today she hated the Mac. Buying a new Mac was something she said recently. So I think test driving at Micro Center will be the way to go. I think she will know better than I would seem right for her. I could use her 240 gig Samsung Solid state hard drive in a Windows computer.

As you said, learning curve but easier with mac. You also said she'll hate Win10 features. I had trouble doing mac things at first, but a quick Google search showed plenty of how-to suggestions.

Mac. Without a doubt she'll love it.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

She had a software that only worked on a Mac and I bought an old one off Ebay to run it. She stated today she hated the Mac. Buying a new Mac was something she said recently. So I think test driving at Micro Center will be the way to go. I think she will know better than I would seem right for her. I could use her 240 gig Samsung Solid state hard drive in a Windows computer.

bought an old one what?

Just wipe the drive and install Windows on it. It will work exactly the same any any PC you will go out and pay money for. Done.

If she's got an Apple ID she will always be able to download and re-install MacOS and any SW bought through the App Store. Like, forever. So make sure she knows her credentials before you wipe the drive (have her login to iCloud via a web browser while you watch to make sure). You could always create new credentials, but the downside there is you won't have access to software (and the original OS) she has via her account. Not the end of the world, though.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
As you said, learning curve but easier with mac. You also said she'll hate Win10 features. I had trouble doing mac things at first, but a quick Google search showed plenty of how-to suggestions.

What I like about Mac is all the info online/tutorials. I know I went from Windows to Linux and have never looked back. I think security will be less of an issue with a Mac.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

What I like about Mac is all the info online/tutorials. I know I went from Windows to Linux and have never looked back. I think security will be less of an issue with a Mac.

MacOS used to have much better help & tutorials with Classic MacOS (System 7.5x~OS9x). OSX was a step back in that regard, believe it or not. And it didn't require an internet connection to view either.

As far as used the Mac I bought was a G3 made in the 90's. It was pretty perky for an old computer. I would like to go with new and at Micro Center. Money is not the issue. The right fit is.

As far as used the Mac I bought was a G3 made in the 90's. It was pretty perky for an old computer. I would like to go with new and at Micro Center. Money is not the issue. The right fit is.

Ouch. That is ancient. That's a machine that was current when the first web browser was introduced, you surfed via a modem over the phone line, and AOL was king. No, it won't run Windows except via emulation, which will be painfully slow.

SoftWindows (Connectix) but you would have to hunt down old used install media, as Microsoft bought SoftWindows about a decade ago, killed the product, then re-introduced it in a Windows-compaitble version. It's source code for the MS virtual machine you can get from them now.

Best to get her to tag along while you test drive a few then. Waaaaaaay different than that g3.

As a person who uses iMac & Win10 I can tell you this, go Mac all the way especially for the use you have in mind. Mac support is also light years ahead of MS. I made the switch when Win 10 screwed up my previous PC, I threw that one away, bought a laptop with Win10 installed and only use it for 2 apps that don't run on a Mac, but the computer I use daily is my iMac, much more stable and friendly.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Ouch. That is ancient. That's a machine that was current when the first web browser was introduced, you surfed via a modem over the phone line, and AOL was king.

Best to get her to tag along while you test drive a few then. Waaaaaaay different than that g3.

She will be doing the test driving. I am just going to point her in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
but the computer I use daily is my iMac, much more stable and friendly.

That is what I am thinking. I like stable and friendly. Windows 10 seems less stable and friendly than older versions of Windows.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I backed up 50 gig of photos today on an external hard drive. The problem with waiting for sales is my work schedule. It would be better if I go with her. I will work that Friday-Monday. Would like it sooner than that also.

As far as AOL and not sure what to do since they are merging with Yahoo and Verizon. I expect problems based on my experience with AOL.

With Windows updates I tend to use old equipment. A newer, faster processor should make a difference.

With 50 gigs of photos, I'd get a cloud service backup as well. I've lost photos before many years ago and I still get sick thinking about it. I keep no less than two local copies of my photos (on separate devices/PCs) as well as at least one backup on a cloud backup service (Carbonite or similar) in case of flood/fire/earthquake, etc... The peace of mind is worth it.

The current Mac Mini hasn't been updated since I think 2014. I wouldn't buy one until Apple decides to update it if ever.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The current Mac Mini hasn't been updated since I think 2014. I wouldn't buy one until Apple decides to update it if ever.

Exactly what i was going to say. The MacMini is the last apple computer I would buy - it is 4 years old already and probably close to end of being able to run updated OS. That becomes a major issues with the integrated photos, etc. You'd be better off with anything else from them - even a laptop that just uses the external monitor.

I would start here:
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

PS - would pick Mac over windows. Macs just work and once she understands the interface, you won't have to worry as much about updates etc.

Thanks for the Mini heads up.

So she is OK with her old computer for now. I do have a Windows 10 license on a computer similar to what she had as a test mule. Just updated it yesterday. So I may clone that onto her old solid state drive and see if she likes it. She did say she feels it is time for a new computer. I always think in multiples. If this computer works out it could be a back-up for what she buys.

The thing is I am not sure she would want to buy the expensive Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back