Tire knot or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife took her 2013 Mazda CX-9 (FWD) in for a recall on the lower control arms. They replaced the arms, aligned it, and rotated the tires. She claims that shortly after that she could feel a vibration in the steering wheel. She drove it from New Orleans to Florida, and by the time she came back said the car was terrible. I drove it today, at low speeds ( <20 MPH) the steering wheel shakes. There are no unusual noises. The shake gets worse until you get on up to interstate speed, and the shake becomes more of a vibration. The vehicle does not pull to either side when driving or braking. I have looked at the front tires, and one seems more worn than the other but I cannot see and obvious bulges or flat spots. Any hints before I take it back to the dealership? I just don't believe the problem is related to the lower control arms replacement or an I wrong?

Noticeable at very low speeds means it is something that is fundamentally not round, not a weight imbalance. Find some good flat pavement, hold the steering wheel loosely and drive very slowly to feel for any "once around" side to side movement.

As it got worse after driving it is most likely a faulty tire. Can also be that the wheel is not seated on the hub due to corrosion or other debris in between.

Last edited:
Or it could just be that they didn't torque the lug nuts of one tire properly. Seen many times this causing the steering wheel shake!

After the tire rotation, a bent rim/out-of-round tire is now in the front, causing the noticeable shimmy.

Thanks for all the ideas. When I have time this weekend I am going to take one tire off at a time and put the spare tire on in its place (even though it is a temporary spare - not full size) and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back