Different weight oil to help bad rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've used 5/30 synthetic in almost all of my small engines (unless calling specifically for something else) and never an issue. i usually buy a 5 quart jug of a synthetic 5/30 and that's my small engine oil. Well, i was going to get a new lawnmower this year (push mower) but new windows in the house and a new snowblower this last winter i'm hoping for 1 more year out of my old trusty grass chopper. the last 2 seasons it occasionally blows some blue smoke at start up (not all the time). had it looked at back then and the guy told me the rings were just getting worn, and if i was planning on replacing it anyways no big deal, when shes done just let her go (didn't pay much for it, it's a poulan with a briggs engine). i've mowed twice now, a week ago and today. today i noticed after it warmed up just a slight amount of blue smoke while running... which is kinda new. is there a different type or weight of oil that can help out a little bit? i know it wont fix the problem, just need this mower to last 1 more season if possible

It only takes a small amount of oil. Try some 20w-50. You haven't got much to lose.

And you can try removing the spark plug, pour some penetrating oil in the cylinder, turn the engine over and let it sit overnight. Flush it out carefully and then try the 20w-50.

Worn rings are worn, only replacing them will help to have less worn rings.

Thicker fluid may leak through the gap more slowly and 'band aid' the symptom but this is not helping the rings.

Piston soak may unstick them (if they're stuck) which could improve compression and reduce consumption, but you'll need to diagnose the issue first.

You’re wanting it to last 1 more season so just keep it topped off with what youve been using and mow.

If you want to tinker, try some cheap 20w50.

i understand that they're worn and wont fix the issue... just thinking of ways for reducing the smoke a bit... get's a little annoying and slightly embarrassing with the neighbors watching
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sh40674
i understand that they're worn and wont fix the issue... just thinking of ways for reducing the smoke a bit... get's a little annoying and slightly embarrassing with the neighbors watching
laugh.gif

Farmers here sometimes stick a knitted work glove on the end of their ancient 2-smoke Kawasaki B2 motorcycle exhausts, though I'm pretty sure they aren't embarrassed by the neighbours watching.

If they were they'd probably take it off, so the neighbours wouldn't be able to see them.

Mow at night?

Last edited:
laugh.gif

SAE 30, SAE 40, 15W-40, or 20w-50 will probably help. I wouldn't ever use typical thin 30s like you're using in OPE.

laugh.gif

You must be young. At my age I don’t care anymore what others might or might not think of me.
laugh.gif

Has anyone here ever done a compression check on a new mower just to establish a base line?

Do a dry compression check then add a squirt of oil.

Is reringing a single cylinder engine a big deal? ....after all, it is a Briggs engine!

The rings could also be gummed up - not necessarily worn.
If your oil control rings are clogged some can be cleaned.

I have had amazing success with BG EPR on an oil drinking audi.

Stuff works VERY well.

Originally Posted By: nap
laugh.gif

You must be young. At my age I don’t care anymore what others might or might not think of me.
laugh.gif

+1

I've never been able to slow down the burning in an OPE by using a thicker oil or even that STP or Motor Honey. It all just thins out with the )))HOT((( engine.

Most Poulan branded mowers use B&S engines that have aluminum cylinder bores. Rings are not the problem, a worn cylinder bore is the likely problem. Aluminum bore B&S engines will run for years burning oil like this if you keep oil in them. Just use an HD SAE30 motor oil to minimize oil use (don't use a multi-weight motor oil), check the oil level before EACH fuel fill (add as needed but DO NOT OVERFILL), and run it till it blows. You will probably be surprised at how long the mower will run like this. If your neighbors question your smoking mower, tell them you are killing mosquitoes
smile.gif

Last edited:
One last thing....Check the breather on the side of engine. It's a cover over the valve springs. Make sure it's clean and not gummed up. I've cleaned mine probably 5-6 times. Doesn't get real bad but that's the breather on the engine. Like other's have said I've used just about every oil you can think of in my mower, right now it's got Castrol GTX 10W30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've never been able to slow down the burning in an OPE by using a thicker oil or even that STP or Motor Honey. It all just thins out with the )))HOT((( engine.

A little Bardahl 2116 No Smoke mixed into SAE30 motor oil will reduce oil burning. An ounce or two will do the trick.

From what I've found, its generally the degree of spread in multigrades that contribute to oil consumption (VII?). The higher the spread, the higher the consumption. (If anyone has it, there is allegedly a test conducted by toyota showing that 5w20 consumed less than 5w30.)

Hot#/Winter#
30/5 =6
20/5 =4
40/10 =4
30/10 =3
40/15 =2.6
50/20 =2.5

Since there is some wear, I would go grab some Heavy Duty SAE 30 (not detergent-free) and mix it with some 15w40 HDEO. This should also help to clean the motor, if bad rings are an issue.

I've seen synthetic 5W30 be completely incompatible with many older small engines. Usually 20 years old and older, with unknown maintenance history or lots of hours. Put synthetic 5W30 in it and it will never stop smoking....mosquito fogger for the lawn. Change the oil back to regular SAE30, and the engine stops smoking and works fine again. Ive seen it SO many times when I had my small engine shop, and the owner INSISTED that I use synthetic 5W30, even though I recommended SAE30. Stuck rings, worn cylinder? Who knows but Ive seen it a bunch of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back