Yamalube Outboard Oil still the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of 2001 Yamaha 200hp HPDIs. ~ 400hrs. Run Great. I don't do much idling, run at 4000-4300rpm. I don't foul plugs and it doesn't smoke too bad. Problem is that I used to buy bulk ~ $21/gallon but now they charge $28. Question is am I better off these days using a competitor's brand like Evinrude XD50 or Mercury Premium Plus? Both seem to be in the same price range. Many advocate for Pennzoil XLF or Synthetic which are quite cheaper and burn cleaner. Some dealers claim that these have been prone to gelling and clogging the smaller in-line oil filters.... Are they less expensive due to less corrosion protection/additives? I use 1oz Ring Free per 10 Gal of fuel with every fill. I keep my boat on my lift and therefore exposure to salt air is higher than average. I'm looking for the best oil not the least expensive. Please share your thoughts and oil analysis if you have any. Yamaha couldn't provide any details.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t worry. You are getting caught up in the advertising game. The oil you want should approved by the NMMA as TCW-3. If it has the emblem you are good to go. The rest is fierce brand loyalty which is what advertisers work hard to install into people, plus personal opinions, some based on inadequate data, peer pressure, internet rumours, and what have you. Corrosion protection is a big deal with with TCW-3 and one of the main reasons to look for the emblem.

I’d recommend using anything with the TCW-3 emblem and stocking up on sales.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Don’t worry. You are getting caught up in the advertising game. The oil you want should approved by the NMMA as TCW-3. If it has the emblem you are good to go. The rest is fierce brand loyalty which is what advertisers work hard to install into people, plus personal opinions, some based on inadequate data, peer pressure, internet rumours, and what have you. Corrosion protection is a big deal with with TCW-3 and one of the main reasons to look for the emblem.

Agree + 1

There was a test report some time ago with yamalube vs johnson evenrude and quicksilver mercury. They were all good but yamalube left fewer deposits.

If yamalube got you this far id continue usng it.

This is always tough. Yamaha lubes are very good, and very pricey. No dummies in their engineering dept.

But Mercury Marine is usually equally good at what they do, and they make/market some very good lubes. Their bottom end oils are maybe the best there is. Over many years, I have had very good luck with Quicksilver lubes. So I'd say they are equivalent, based on personal experience.

However, I used to be the small boats engineer for NOAA out here in Cali and we ran the snot out of our outboards - like 8 hrs a day under all kinds of condition including pulling bottom clearance drags which meant near full throttle at low hull speeds for hours on end. We only used Chevron TCW-3 and never had one hitch (it was on contract). Motors always came apart clean. The Chevron guys obviously know what they are doing too ...

So you are going to have to start looking for lube tests. It's not often easy data to come by.

Personally I would use any name brand big refiner TCW-3 and just cruise on. You are already adding ring free. So your cocktail is about as good as you'll need. The motors are well broken in. I would not sweat it. But I know the nagging feeling ...

Last edited:
Anyone seen the test report of yamalube v Mercury v Evinrude?
Link?
Thanks for the feedback.

guessing this is a 2 stroke? i've owned boats but never got into the motors much, or the oil as i've always used pennzoil. i have an 84' 40hp evinrude. never an issue, carbs are clean as a whistle. had it checked over when i bought it and the shop said it's one of the cleanest they've seen in those years. the guy i bought it from, his father bought it in 84 and they've always used pennzoil. used it on my last boat too and never an issue. i love pennzoil products. used to fall into the hype that it was junk oil but after being on this site, i use it quite a bit. my truck runs great on it, much smoother. i've become a big believer in their stuff.

plus the pennzoil marine is available almost everywhere, and not bad priced at all.

Originally Posted By: Gbert
I have a set of 2001 Yamaha 200hp HPDIs. ~ 400hrs. Run Great. I don't do much idling, run at 4000-4300rpm. I don't foul plugs and it doesn't smoke too bad. Problem is that I used to buy bulk ~ $21/gallon but now they charge $28. Question is am I better off these days using a competitor's brand like Evinrude XD50 or Mercury Premium Plus? Both seem to be in the same price range. Many advocate for Pennzoil XLF or Synthetic which are quite cheaper and burn cleaner. Some dealers claim that these have been prone to gelling and clogging the smaller in-line oil filters.... Are they less expensive due to less corrosion protection/additives? I use 1oz Ring Free per 10 Gal of fuel with every fill. I keep my boat on my lift and therefore exposure to salt air is higher than average. I'm looking for the best oil not the least expensive. Please share your thoughts and oil analysis if you have any. Yamaha couldn't provide any details.

Thanks in advance.

Yamalube Outboard Oil still the best?[/b]

Who told you it was the best?

Imo, based on what I have seen and read, it is overpriced and overly hyped everyday run of the mill oil.
Many other oils, both 2 and 4 stroke, exist out there that are not only better but also way cheaper.

I used Yamalube once in my 2008 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile and never went back. One oil change, (3 ltrs and a Yamaha filter) cost me over $90 dollars CDN. Did some reading here on VOA's and UOA's and started using Mobil-1 0W-40 European formula and a Hi-Flo filter. Cost went from $90 down to $40 and I am now running a superior oil and filter compared to the Yamalube junk.

Yamalube is custom blended to factory specifications by Nippon Oil Company. They have a location in Alabama that they built primarily for just this reason. It is not rebranded/relabled oil. Yamalube might be more expensive, but the margins on it are honestly low.

TC-W3 is the standard for which 2-Stroke Marine oils are measured, some will exceed the standard and others will only meet it. The governing body meets once or twice a year to go over their surveillance results, which are generated by SWRI. If you stick with major OEM oils, you should be safe. The last thing they want is their customers to experience engine failures in the motors they sell.

The adage of "pay me now or pay me later" comes to mind. You sure can just grab any TC-W3 rated oil and run it, but there are definitely differences in these oils that should matter. If you've got twin 200HP HPDI's, you've got a lot invested in that boat and running [censored] oil could ruin it for you.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Agreed. Marketing trick. I've run Pennzoil, Amsoil, something from Merc, all TCW-3. Guess what? The only engine work I've done is to change the spark plugs and fuel filters. So if you sleep better at nite with Yamalube in the tanks, go for it. Otherwise, I would save my money.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
This is always tough. Yamaha lubes are very good, and very pricey. No dummies in their engineering dept.

But Mercury Marine is usually equally good at what they do, and they make/market some very good lubes. Their bottom end oils are maybe the best there is. Over many years, I have had very good luck with Quicksilver lubes. So I'd say they are equivalent, based on personal experience.

However, I used to be the small boats engineer for NOAA out here in Cali and we ran the snot out of our outboards - like 8 hrs a day under all kinds of condition including pulling bottom clearance drags which meant near full throttle at low hull speeds for hours on end. We only used Chevron TCW-3 and never had one hitch (it was on contract). Motors always came apart clean. The Chevron guys obviously know what they are doing too ...

So you are going to have to start looking for lube tests. It's not often easy data to come by.

Personally I would use any name brand big refiner TCW-3 and just cruise on. You are already adding ring free. So your cocktail is about as good as you'll need. The motors are well broken in. I would not sweat it. But I know the nagging feeling ...
Spent some time on the phone with a Chevron Lube Tech one day discussing outboard oil. He told me that two stroke outboard oil was a pretty crude product. Nothing really special about it. I've tried many brands including Redline, Citgo, Pennzoil, Chevron, and Phillips Injex. Nothing bad to say about any of them. Be aware that changing oil brands can sometimes change idle quality on a carb engine. No experience with a HPDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back