Napa MaxDrive (Cardone Select) NEW CV Axles

From my research, I learned that NAPA MaxDrive NEW CV axles are reboxed Cardone Select CV Axles. This was confirmed by the NAPA MaxDrive warranty document which listed Cardone Industries as the company warrantying their product.

The "big 3" manufacturers of NEW CV axles appear to be Cardone, GSP and Surtrack/Trakmotive. From what I have read online and thru various professional groups, the NAPA MaxDrive units (and presumably Cardone Select) seem to have somewhat more favorable reviews than the others.

I recognize that NEW CV axles are problematic compared to OE, which is why I try to reboot OE axles whenever possible. But there are situations where a NEW CV axle is needed and new (or even used) OE is not an economically feasible option.

Does anyone on here have feedback they can share, on the NAPA MaxDrive and/or Cardone Select NEW CV axles?

I used them in the front of my 99 Subaru Outback with no issues. Anyone who knows Subaru's knows they are very picky with axles.

I only drove it for about a year or 5K miles but it was fine the whole time. No wiggle, play or weird noises.

The couple of times I have used them from Car quest when new was not available and I needed them yesterday were okay, long term I cant say.
I do know the boots were neoprene so they are garbage right of the hop.

Originally Posted By: ron350
If Neoprene is bad what is the preferred boot material?

Most OE axles use thermoplastic boots.

I have a Cardone Select in a friend's beater Chevy Tahoe, it seemed decently made but the diff end had a loose cap. The grease looked like cheap Chinese "moly" stuff.

I packed in some Molygraph grease and tapped in the cap with a dead-blow. The OEM shaft didn't have a cap on the inner joint. I know VWs and RWD Lexus use a cap on the inner joint.

If the passenger side joint goes out, I'm gonna find a OEM Delphi shaft from the junkyard and reboot it.

Last edited:
Anyone know who does a good job rebuilding CV axles at a good price? I have the old one out of my MB and it had a leaking boot. I think I caught it early enough. Used a new Cardone select from Rockauto and it's junk. I found a few places online but they want over $200 to rebuild a CV axle. The OE was about 1k so I figured I'd roll the dice and try a new aftermarket Cardone one at $65. They also sell a remanufactured one for about the same price, do you think that is OE or did they just do that to an aftermarket one? Car will need ball joints soon so I'll just have the indy swap the axle when he does the ball joints.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Anyone know who does a good job rebuilding CV axles at a good price? I have the old one out of my MB and it had a leaking boot. I think I caught it early enough. Used a new Cardone select from Rockauto and it's junk. I found a few places online but they want over $200 to rebuild a CV axle. The OE was about 1k so I figured I'd roll the dice and try a new aftermarket Cardone one at $65. They also sell a remanufactured one for about the same price, do you think that is OE or did they just do that to an aftermarket one? Car will need ball joints soon so I'll just have the indy swap the axle when he does the ball joints.

I have heard good things about CVJ Axles in Colorado, but I have not personally used them.

I have a 98 Acura TL 3.2 and about a year ago I replaced the CV axles with NAPA/Cardones. Truthfully, I was a little leery. But they have worked very well.
I measured them before the install and they looked identical to OEM. They went in easily and have worked perfectly so far (20K).
I've heard good things about RAXLES, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for them.

I used Cardone select CV joints in my wife's Santa Fe. I had a good alignment done right afterwards. It has been probably 25-30K since we had it done. I always do a good check underneath when I change the oil. No issues to report. Any issues we seem to have are directly related to the absolutely ABYSMAL Firestone Affinity tires we put on there.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I have heard good things about CVJ Axles in Colorado, but I have not personally used them.

Yeah, I think that's the one that was around $200 an axle.

I got a set of rebuilt cv shafts from "Raxles" and they were good quality. Had the vehicle about 5 years after installing them and never any issues.
https://www.raxles.com/

You may be able to send in your original and have it rebuilt.

Received them today. The boots are definitely neoprene. Will install soon.

I installed. Unfortunately, they shake terribly, right out of the box.

The Japanese charge too much for their OEM CV axles, usually around $500 each
mad.gif

American and even Germans are more fair with OEM CV prices (GM and Ford OEM axles often under $200 each)

Raxles only makes axles for VW/Audi, Honda/Acura, and Subaru now.

And I HATE that the reman axles use neoprene boots, since torn boots cause almost every CV failure. I mean, how much more expensive are thermoplastic boots over neoprene anyway? Especially for a rebuiolder that buys them in bulk. I mean, they can't cost more than a warranty claim, can they?

Some OE axles use Neoprene for inboard boots and ThermoPlastic foe the outboard boot.

I decided to order a pair of rebuilt axles thru CVJ Axles. They were about $270/pair including 2-way shipping (for the core returns). After installation, I will start a separate thread with more info. Hopefully they work.

Received them today. The boots are definitely neoprene. Will install soon.

I installed. Unfortunately, they shake terribly, right out of the box.

Common complaint, its a carp shoot with these aftermarket parts. Hopefully the rebuilds will work out better.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And I HATE that the reman axles use neoprene boots, since torn boots cause almost every CV failure. I mean, how much more expensive are thermoplastic boots over neoprene anyway? Especially for a rebuiolder that buys them in bulk. I mean, they can't cost more than a warranty claim, can they?

I think part of the problem is that the thermoplastic material is patented by Dupont under the Hytrel name which is what OEMs use. So this material might not be as readily available to aftermarket companies. Also, it would be expensive for them to retool their entire lineup for Hytrel. Most consumers don't have any understanding of thermoplastics, and for what they charge on these reboot kits they can likely offer a few reboot kits under warranty before the claims become a loss. The average consumer repairing CV boots isn't likely to keep their vehicle long enough to make good on that lifetime warranty offer so 2-3 years lifespan on a neoprene boot is probably considered good enough (this is how long my neoprene reboots have been lasting).

Back