Going to try a napa battery this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifes Tahoe left her stranded today. Grabbed my battery tester and it showed bad battery.

She is working in a small town 30 miles away. This towns only auto parts store is a Napa and no walmart. Got a group 78 instead of the smaller group 75.

Tested the new battery. Sticker says 690cca. Tester showed 971cca! Hopefully it will last longer than the Johnson batteries it's had before. Last one lasted 15 months but was a real cheapy from A-zone with only a 90 day warranty.

I always go one step further and get a 34/78 DT, so it has top posts. Makes it lots easier with jumper cables, to use the top posts.... instead of the side posts which are up against the fuse panel enclosure.

Group 75 is too small, should have never been using one.

Only a 90-day warranty!

Geez, cheapest ones we sell have a 1-year warranty, and we sell very few of those. Our 'regular' batteries carry a 3-year warranty (full replacement).

Was your Napa battery a JC or East Penn??

Has a side note all of my Wally World batteries are made by East Penn.. including the Valuepower batteries. And talk about a price difference... Group 35 three year free replacement warranty WW: $84. O Reilly's: $160.. for the same exact battery by East Penn.

Last edited:
I have had great luck with AAP batteries and with a discount code the price is hard to beat.

I've always thought randomness of quality-off-the-assembly-line was as big a wild card as anything else.

CCA translates into size so maybe bigger is stronger.

Don't know about that "90 day" battery. That one sounds real cheap.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Was your Napa battery a JC or East Penn??

Has a side note all of my Wally World batteries are made by East Penn.. including the Valuepower batteries. And talk about a price difference... Group 35 three year free replacement warranty WW: $84. O Reilly's: $160.. for the same exact battery by East Penn.
how do I tell?

I believe you will be good with either battery. The local Costco have Interstate batteries.
How much time did you get outta your last one? Brand?
After 5 years, I consider them service items and replace them.

If it is a Deka/East Penn, it is a really good battery.

My mom is going on 5 years on hers, and 4 years on a battery is considered good here.

I need to get her another one soon before this one dies on her.

Well does it happen easily accessible caps on top?? Or does it have a flush/flat top on it?? Easily accessible caps= JC and totally flat top = East Penn.

It may even have JC or Ep in the epc code for the battery. Wally World has that in their batteries. JC or EP. All of mine in my WW are EP now.

Chris. Your climate is almost exactly like mine. It does not matter if I buy OEM or the most expensive battery from any brand the longest I have had a battery is 26 months.

For many years, one of my best friends had a store that sold batteries called The Battery Terminal. I used to buy Deka batteries from him for all my cars, boats, generators, etc...
Can't ever remember being stuck because of a battery. He retired a couple of years ago and my brother picked up a huge chunk of his battery business through the generator shop. I'm happy I still have a hook for reasonably priced Deka batteries.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Only a 90-day warranty!

Geez, cheapest ones we sell have a 1-year warranty, and we sell very few of those. Our 'regular' batteries carry a 3-year warranty (full replacement).

The "blem" batteries from Interstate come with a 6-month warranty. They run about $50-$60 here.

Chris, I am sure you will be very happy with your east penn ,NAPA battery. that said your story explains why a battery from Wally world is the best buy. They are good batteries and the price is fair, so the next time your wife 's car battery goes TU, there will be a Wally World close by. You never change batteries like oil, on your day off.

The two Napa batteries I've had have both been excellent. I bought a used truck with a four year old Napa battery in it- expecting to have to replace the battery any day - and it lasted for two more years. Based on that experience I bought a Napa "Legend" battery for my wife's Yukon and that battery is now four years old and still going strong.

Had the battery go bad in the ZX, so, just replaced it with a ValuPower brand from Wal-Mart. Only a 1 year warranty, but, for $54.00, couldn't beat it. Try it for a year, then, upgrade to one with a bigger warranty.

Haven't tried NAPA's batteries, but, I've always heard good things about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back