When two vehicles create a bottle neck in the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves in driving. Say you're in a neighborhood and you have two vehicles parked across from one another in the street. I shot your fault if you run up against one of them trying to squeeze through? What I love is you have two f-250 trucks so depending on the street, you have very little room, especially with a trailer. I'm talking 2inches here. Just to clarify, I didn't hit anyone's vehicle. Lol I'm pretty sure if a fire truck needed to get thru, they would just squeeze their way thru.

I love my HOA because we ban street parking, which eliminates this problem. Most people have a 3 car garage + 3 wide driveway, so there's quite literally no excuse for street parking unless it's a delivery vehicle.

Judge Judy talked about one time someone parked behind her at court, she reversed out, hitting the parked car, and was furious because she knew legally she was in the wrong. As a driver of a moving vehicle she's always at fault no matter the other issues of the parked car.

This city occasionally bans parking on one side of the street, and permits it on the other, to make matters easier. Of course, on other streets of identical width in similarly zoned neighborhoods, they have no rule, and people park on both sides.
whistle.gif

Reddy45 said:
I love my HOA because we ban street parking, which eliminates this problem. Most people have a 3 car garage + 3 wide driveway, so there's quite literally no excuse for street parking unless it's a delivery vehicle.[/quote

What if you have a party and have more than 3 guests??

Originally Posted By: old1
Reddy45 said:
I love my HOA because we ban street parking, which eliminates this problem. Most people have a 3 car garage + 3 wide driveway, so there's quite literally no excuse for street parking unless it's a delivery vehicle.[/quote

That's what I was going to ask,when you have company,where are they allowed to park?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: old1
Reddy45 said:

That's what I was going to ask,when you have company,where are they allowed to park?

Most folks here who have parties, have them last at most 6-8 hours. People park along the street, but you'll see them fill up that driveway to the brim before they spill out onto the street.

The understanding is that it's temporary and that by the next day all those car will be gone, and that has luckily been the case.

We have some great folks in this neighborhood who work hard to keep things this way, since we all knew what we were getting into when buying our homes.

Yo, Michael on Staten Island (and everyone else too).

Alternate side of the street parking facilitates street cleaning and has another benefit most people miss.

Making people start their cars helps weed out neglected cars since a "no start" condition is the most common breakdown.

There'd be hulks with sagging tires parked all over the place without alternate side.

I lived near Staten Island (Bay Ridge) and had 2 vehicles at one time.

I have seen it happen. People choose to park clustered instead of intelligently picking a side and parking down street. While the driver squeezing fault it does not matter if they keep going, the case I saw.

"Lol I'm pretty sure if a fire truck needed to get thru, they would just squeeze their way thru"

Lol been there done that. The bumpers on fire trucks are very durable. I've had to brush a few cars over and a fence or two. This is of course only if I was on the first due engine and had a confirmed fire with entrapment.
I hit a deer once on the interstate, 6 lane with a jersey wall btwn. Rescue truck about a quarter mile behind me saw nothing of the deer but a cloud of hair. Not a scratch on the engine just a bunch of blood and meat underneath. Never did figure out where it went.
One time when I was just about 3 years on the job we had a call on a street that parked on both sides at 3 AM and my officer said "man I'm glad we washed the truck this evening" and I said yeah I know if there was a layer of dust on this thing I'd have hit 30 cars getting here lol.

In high school we had a homecoming float building party. The police came by and requested all cars to be parked on one side of the street only. Ever since I've always kept to one side of the street with the other cars.

If the street is wide enough, who cares? Sounds like you need wider streets.

In my neighborhood the streets are wide enough for large trucks (garbage truck, fire truck, deliver truck etc) to get between 2 full size pick-up trucks parked opposite eachother on the street. Now if they were both dually trucks, that would be a tight squeeze.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
If the street is wide enough, who cares? Sounds like you need wider streets.

So what you are saying is that we should bulldoze down about half the apartment buildings in New York City so the streets can be made wider?

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

So what you are saying is that we should bulldoze down about half the apartment buildings in New York City so the streets can be made wider?

That’s exactly what Haussmann did in Paris, to great effect I would say.

We lived right off a busy corner when our older kids were in college and driving their own cars. They both used to park on the side closer to the house thus making the street uncomfortably narrow. It would then cause backups on to the main road and quite a few fender benders. I explained to them that it takes an extra thirty seconds to turn around and park across the street. Once they got used to it, they kept it up.

Thankfully, now we live on a quiet road that hugs a state park. Had a turkey in my yard last week. Lots better than our old corner.

Originally Posted By: nap
Originally Posted By: SeaJay

That’s exactly what Haussmann did in Paris, to great effect I would say.

He sure did do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back