You be the judge..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been contemplating how to perform a drain and fill on the 2017 Elantra given the "sealed" system. It requires the car to be on level ground in order to get an accurate reading on fluid level which is a problem for me as I'm 6'4" 240lbs... I don't fit under this small car without it being elevated. The way I see it, I have four options which I'll list and I'd be happy to hear opinions on them.

First Option:
Put the front of the car on ramps and jack up each side on the rear and put it on jack stands. With the rear of the car pushed down due to the front being on ramps and being unable to get the jack to the middle of the rear suspension, I'd be placing the jacks under the springs and the stands under the pinch welds. This would give me an elevated, yet flat car which would give me an accurate reading.

Second Option:
Just jack up one side (driver front- strategically chosen), take out the drain plug, and let the car drop down again. Wait for it to drip out, jack it up, put the drain plug in and remove the fill plug. Replace fluid and wait for it to start dripping out. Jack it up once again (the level check plug is on drivers side, so jacking it up on this side would elevate it and keep the fluid from rushing out- STRATEGERY), replace the level check plug, and call it a day.

Third option:
Put the car on ramps and drain the ATF. Measure what came out and replace that much with new fluid and call it a day (easy, but requires trust that it had correct level to begin with).

Fourth option:
Call and schedule an appointment with Christian Brothers Auto, go get lunch while they do the dirty work, and live with the lingering doubt that they did things correctly. Nothing against them, I just don't know any reputable places near me (new to DFW).

What say you?

I own a Santa Fe. Christian Bros does my oil changes, but for ATF fluid change out, I voted on the Hyundai dealer. At least I knew I would get the proper fluid. My dealer did just fine with the ATF fluid exchange (189.95). No issues.

Christian Bros is a franchise operation, so YMMV as far as how they are actually operated. I think they started in the Dallas area. That said, the one I use are upfront about their pricing and abilities.

Third option is the easiest way.

Don't worry about the level, it won't make huge difference. You won't blow your transmission if it's slightly overfilled.

I would think draining it cold and measuring what came out and refilling with the same amount will net you more or less the same results and you won’t need to go through all the hassle of making sure the car is completely level. The procedure seems to me to be designed assuming the car is warmed up and just drove into the shop with hot ATF. There is of course the risk of it being improperly filled from the factory but I doubt that is very likely. That’s how I’ve always done drain and fills in my vehicles.

If I'm reading Option 2 correctly ... drain, then fill (maybe slightly over what the manual ssys for fill change capacity) ... then lower the car and let any excess drain out the level check plug while the car is level. Jack back up and install level fill plug. That would essentially give you a full level fill if the bottom of the check plug hole it considered totally full.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If I'm reading Option 2 correctly ... drain, then fill (maybe slightly over what the manual ssys for fill change capacity) ... then lower the car and let any excess drain out the level check plug while the car is level. Jack back up and install level fill plug. That would essentially give you a full level fill if the bottom of the check plug hole it considered totally full.

Check hole plug is the "full" line. It's considered full when fluid starts to drip out from that hole.

First time I did a drain and fill on our Fusion, I replaced the same amount of fluid that came out. I then drove it, got the fluid hot, and checked the level with the 'check' plug. That way, I can feel confident that it has the "right" amount in it and that future drain and fills will be accurate.

Can you do a combination of # 2 and # 3 just once ?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Tagged for responses.

How many miles on your '17?

22k, so not at a mileage requiring a drain and fill yet. We do, however, put a lot of miles on that car and will be putting another 4-5k miles on it in the month of July alone so I like to plan ahead. The dealership I bought it from did a drain and fill at 10k miles, and I planned on doing it again at 40k. I've heard mixed reviews on Hyundai's SP-IV fluid so I'd rather not run it too long if at all possible. I'm thinking of going either Schaeffer's or Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Third option is the easiest way.

Don't worry about the level, it won't make huge difference. You won't blow your transmission if it's slightly overfilled.

Tend to agree with you. It would make my life much easier.
thumbsup2.gif

a DIY will only get some of the fluid, if your budget affords it a full machine change is best especially if you have higher miles on it!! sometimes the fluid level needs to be at a certain temp to check it, searching will usually find detailed info from somewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
First time I did a drain and fill on our Fusion, I replaced the same amount of fluid that came out. I then drove it, got the fluid hot, and checked the level with the 'check' plug. That way, I can feel confident that it has the "right" amount in it and that future drain and fills will be accurate.

Can you do a combination of # 2 and # 3 just once ?

To be honest, I'm not sure that the fill plug is accessible from the top.

Originally Posted By: benjy
a DIY will only get some of the fluid, if your budget affords it a full machine change is best especially if you have higher miles on it!! sometimes the fluid level needs to be at a certain temp to check it, searching will usually find detailed info from somewhere.

Doesn't have mileage on it. It should have 30k miles on the fluid when I plan on doing it.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: benjy

Doesn't have mileage on it. It should have 30k miles on the fluid when I plan on doing it.
What makes 30 the magic number?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Check hole plug is the "full" line. It's considered full when fluid starts to drip out from that hole.

I'd just slightly over-fill it, then remove the check plug with it jacked up, then lower it back to the floor and let the excess drain out. Sounds pretty much what your Option 2 is.

I've heard mixed reviews on Hyundai's SP-IV fluid...

Where? Except it's price, I cannot find a single negative review of the SPIV-M fluid (the "M" is the new spec. since 2013).

Option Five: - loose enough weight so you can slide under?

Amsoil is excellent with respect to ATF and gear oils. I buy motor oil at Walmart and order Amsoil ATF and gear oil.

The level is not going to be exact. Having the car on a 3-5% incline is not going to affect the level enough to matter to the transmission, as has been stated. If the fluid is coming out at a moderate rate, you can stuff the level plug back in. There is no magic “flow amount” even in the service manual. It states to reinstall the level plug when the ATF is flowing in a small stream. Yes, you access the fill port from the top, most Kias you should probably take the battery out, unless you have some magic trick funnel I haven’t seen. Yes, Amsoil ATF is built better than Kia SP-IV M. For that matter so is Maxlife. I used to put SPIII and IV in my Kias and Hyundais, until I discovered Maxlife. Now I’m using it in the Korean junk and in my Marauder and won’t go back to “lowest bidder” OEM Fluid.

So I've been contemplating how to perform a drain and fill on the 2017 Elantra given the "sealed" system. It requires the car to be on level ground in order to get an accurate reading on fluid level which is a problem for me as I'm 6'4" 240lbs... I don't fit under this small car without it being elevated. The way I see it, I have four options which I'll list and I'd be happy to hear opinions on them.

First Option:
Put the front of the car on ramps and jack up each side on the rear and put it on jack stands. With the rear of the car pushed down due to the front being on ramps and being unable to get the jack to the middle of the rear suspension, I'd be placing the jacks under the springs and the stands under the pinch welds. This would give me an elevated, yet flat car which would give me an accurate reading.

Second Option:
Just jack up one side (driver front- strategically chosen), take out the drain plug, and let the car drop down again. Wait for it to drip out, jack it up, put the drain plug in and remove the fill plug. Replace fluid and wait for it to start dripping out. Jack it up once again (the level check plug is on drivers side, so jacking it up on this side would elevate it and keep the fluid from rushing out- STRATEGERY), replace the level check plug, and call it a day.

Third option:
Put the car on ramps and drain the ATF. Measure what came out and replace that much with new fluid and call it a day (easy, but requires trust that it had correct level to begin with).

Fourth option:
Call and schedule an appointment with Christian Brothers Auto, go get lunch while they do the dirty work, and live with the lingering doubt that they did things correctly. Nothing against them, I just don't know any reputable places near me (new to DFW).

What say you?

If you choose to have someone do it for you, PM me and I can give you some info on a couple of shops in DFW area that do quality work.

I had a similar issue with my moms Saturn Vue. It was full when the transmission was hot, engine was running and fluid just dripping out the hole on the side of the transmission (it does have a separate fill hole).

What I did was I have a sloped driveway, with a greater slop near the bottom. I put the ramps on that part of the drive and drove the front wheels onto the ramps (facing the street, front tires on ramps, rear tires closer to the house).
This gave me an almost perfectly level vehicle and was able to easily get under the front of the vehicle to drop the drain pan and refill it and check the level with the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back