Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ftc-wa...warranty-rights

Well... that was fast.
whistle.gif

Quote:

“This language did not appear in Hyundai’s written warranty terms or anywhere else on Hyundaiusa.com,” the company said in an emailed statement. “Hyundai apologizes for any confusion this may have caused.”

The law does not only apply to automobiles. FTC sent similar warning letters to ASUSTeK (Asus Computer), HTC Corporation, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony Computer Entertainment America. “Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services,” said Thomas Pahl, acting director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a release.

Originally Posted By: wemay
That's there best oil (sold in Walmart)

wrong thread

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
So if my Fram filter causes a problem talk to Fram. That seems fair.

So, exactly which Fram filter do you use for collision repairs?

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Don't even know which kind of people would buy Hyundai or Kias. Puzzles me.

Smart people.

It is appliance to the core.
Toyota is too. But you know there is that thing about Highlander when it does good on light off-road: you can clearly see it is designed by company that makes Land Cruiser.
Hyundai?kia do not have absolutely anything in line up for people to say: yeah, that thing is absolute jewel.

What kind of people buy them? All kinds, all ages, all races, men, women, etc... I've owned a Hyundai Sonata and a Kia Sorento, both were excellent vehicles. Had over 200,000 miles between them with only a a/c compressor replacement other than regular maintenance.

People who want a new car with a warranty, but that costs significantly less than a Mercedes or Cadillac, would buy a Kia or Hyundai.

It's only really us 'enthusiasts' who wouldn't buy a Kia or Hyundai because we're so entrenched in our own way of thinking.

Originally Posted By: user52165

That was Hyundai's initial stance; The excerpt was only meant for collision repairs. The FTC worried it could be used across the board, for all parts used not OEM.

Originally Posted By: user52165

The Fram collision repair filter silly.
smile.gif

It is more than collision repairs as indicated in this thread:

Re: Non Kia-Hyundai oil filters--still a problem???

Motorking posted the following:

Quote:
Hyundai is now in trouble with the FTC over claims that using a non Hyundai filter will void your warranty. They have been breaking the law all along
FTC Releases Magnuson-Moss Violation Letter to Hyundai
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent a compliance warning letter to Hyundai Motor America last month regarding possible violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The letter explains that the act prohibits warrantors of consumer products from conditioning (tying) their written warranties to a consumer's use of any article or service that is identified by brand, trade or corporate name (e.g., “original equipment only”).
The letter also warns: “Warranty language that implies (FTC emphasis) to a consumer acting reasonably under the circumstances that warranty coverage requires the consumer to purchase an article or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name is similarly deceptive and prohibited.”
Specifically, the FTC referenced this Hyundai website statement as problematic:
“The use of Hyundai genuine parts is required to keep your Hyundai manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.”

The revised language is exact;y what the law says (and always has). If the replacement part is a problem they charge you for the repair, but simply having a replacement part on the vehicle cannot invalidate the warranty as a whole.

Just one of our newer Trolls. She's always seeking out Hyundai/Kia threads...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Hyundai?kia do not have absolutely anything in line up for people to say: yeah, that thing is absolute jewel.

I think the Stinger gets decent reviews except for the price - $50k for a Kia is a little crazy. But if I were looking for a 4 door sporty car I'd certainly take a look at it.

Many millions of folks must puzzle you then!

I told Ford to take a hike after being a customer for most my life after the V8 SHO cam debacle. Hyundais for me now. May look at Kias for the replacement of the Accent when it finally falls apart. Quite happy with the car. The dealer around me sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back