Remington Tac 14 870 with 14 inch barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought one of those Tac 14 Remington 870 with the 14 inch barrel. No NFA paperwork or tax stamp. Pretty cool gun to tinker with. The model I bought comes with a one shot extension from the factory and a stabilizing brace, so has 5+1 instead of the 4+1 of the regular Tac 14. Its the Remington version of the Mossberg shockwave. Shows you how stupid gun laws are in the US.

Remington-TAC-14-81240-047700812403.jpg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
How?

From my understanding, once you attach a stock to a receiver, it always has to be classified as a long gun. Remington, Mossberg, and many other manufactures are using a loop hole. If you never attach a stock to it, you can use a stabilizing brace or other funky style pistol grip and then the gun is classified as a firearm, and not a pistol or a shotgun or rifle. So they use new receivers to manufacture these "firearms". They also have to be a certain length. Going off memory, the gun must be at least 26 inches or so long. If its at least that long, then no govt paperwork is required. Its not a short barrel shotgun. Not a pistol. Classified as a firearm.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Are those still classed as just a "firearm" even with the pistol grip?

That's how I understand it. Remington got it approved for sale through the ATF, so its good to go. The stabilizing brace is not considered a stock per the law, so its not a short barrel shotgun.

SBS/SBR laws are a relic of when John Dillinger was robbing banks in the 1930s anyway.

The ATF being fairly lax about "braces" is a sign that maybe they'll realize how outdated some of these restrictive laws are.

Nice buy!

I just ordered a Mossberg Shockwave yesterday.
I was looking at one at a Gun Show.
I had a old 12 gauge pump Smith %Wesson that I cut down as a young man that since I "donated" to the police buy back programs since I really decided I didn't want to go to jail as a adult.
I use to have a alot of fun with that gun. It was nice to shoot. Kinda crazy that you can build a AR pistol from a 80% lower, you can build a Glock from a hunk of plastic and its legal but if you build a Shockwave or convert a gun it's a felony and 5 years in prison to a gun you can legally own.
Guess it's easy just to buy the Shockwave but if you can legally own it, you should be able to make it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I thought the min barrel length was 16' or you needed a Tax stamp to go shorter?

If it's a rifle you do. If it's a pistol, you do not. Adding a buffer tube that will NOT accept a standard stock, but can accept a brace, makes it a pistol by legal definition. The Shockwave and Rem. Tac 14 are not "shotguns", but only "firearms" by legal definition.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I thought the min barrel length was 16' or you needed a Tax stamp to go shorter?
It is 18" for shotguns. I don't get why there is a difference for rifles and shotguns.

I hope you enjoy that Tac 14, they look like fun. I was considering one, but I never cared for pistol grip shot guns. I ended up getting a new Mossberg 500 Bantam 22" 20ga for a snake and farm/truck gun last Saturday. I killed a water moccasin with it yesterday. I may get a 18.5" barrel for it, but I am not sure if I will like cylinder bore.

I understood the shockwave with the birds head grip being a unique item. I don't get/see how that thing in the OP can be exempt in the same way. A "brace" and pistol grip is just too handwavy for it to not turn into a SBS or a pistol and create issues.

The laws may be thought of as dumb, but they have been that way for a long time, not just modern knee jerk.

I kind of have wanted a shockwave, but I'd want to shoot it first to really see if I cared for it. Even if it's only $279 and resealable... I think 20ga is more where it's at for this sort of item.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I understood the shockwave with the birds head grip being a unique item. I don't get/see how that thing in the OP can be exempt in the same way. A "brace" and pistol grip is just too handwavy for it to not turn into a SBS or a pistol and create issues.

The laws may be thought of as dumb, but they have been that way for a long time, not just modern knee jerk.

I kind of have wanted a shockwave, but I'd want to shoot it first to really see if I cared for it. Even if it's only $279 and resealable... I think 20ga is more where it's at for this sort of item.

Not trying to argue, but if someone was going to use something like this to commit a crime, wouldn't they just flat out make an illegal SBR/SBS? A REAL stock is much more solid and would give better leverage/use during a shoot out with the cops.

And any way, weapons charges often get dropped by DAs when there is a bigger crime to prosecute. If you're going to prison for 20 for armed robbery, the stock on the gun or the length of the barrel would be inconsequential.

The whole aura around braces is that it's a clever "screw you" to the ATF because nobody thinks it's reasonable to pay $200 and do NFA paperwork because a barrel is a few inches too short.

I much prefer the Remington TAC-14 over the Mossberg, only because I don't like that silly screwed on strap Mossberg puts on every one of the Shockwave models. The only problem I'm hearing about the non Marine Finish on the Remington TAC-14 model, is for some reason they are VERY prone to rusting. I'm thinking about picking up the Marine Magnum TAC-14 as a companion piece to my new Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. I like the brace rear stock by the way. Much more practical than the factory Birds Head Grip..... Especially with 3" Magnum shells.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What Bubba purchased is a regular non NFA cataloged item from Remington. These things rely on legality, by being classified as a "firearm", and not a shotgun or pistol. In order to do so the overall length MUST exceed 26" to be included in this classification. And still be legal with a barrel shorter than 18". A standard "Cruiser" type pistol grip will not achieve this 26" overall length with a 14" barrel on a Remington 870 frame. But it will with an 18" or 20" barrel. Therefore a 14" barrel combined with a "Cruiser" pistol grip is a SBR, and falls into NFA classification.... $200.00 Tax Stamp and all. But both the "Birds Head" grip, as well as the Stabilizing Brace both allow the gun to exceed the 26" overall length, and are thereby legal in the "firearm" classification with the 14" barrel.

Some of these contraptions, like the Serbu "Super Shorty" fall into yet another category called AOW, or "Any Other Weapon". These still require a Tax Stamp, but they only cost $5.00, and not $200.00. Naturally all of this nonsense O.D.'s on stupid to the highest degree. But this is what you end up with when you combine the government, politicians, and guns.

And how long before some beanhead at ATF decides,

"Oh, it's a 14" barrel, it's an SBS . . . collect $200.00 please"

On the flip side, I hope Remington and Mossberg sell truckloads of these to flood the market.

I just can't see why you can't make one " Legally".
It appears the stock with the short barrel is the illegal combination. It's like the AR pistols with 10" barrells and a " arm brace".
Loops and hoops and legalities that once they are diverted around they will call for a ban such as on bump stocks, which are again only legal owners have because the illegal owners have converted to a full auto because they are criminals anyway without respect for laws.
May be why it was clear to just not " Infringe".

I don't know if you can buy a virgin receiver to build one out of. That is the problem. Take building a AR pistol for example. You can not legally build a pistol from a receiver that had a stock attached to it first. My understanding is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back again legally as long as the receiver was first configured as a pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back