2002 Civic vs 1995 Geo Prizm

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, looking at helping out a friends mom. She really needs a vehicle but can't afford much at all. I found a 1995 Geo Prizm, A/T with 177k on it. Everything works, no lights and the only issue is the headliner is ripped all to pieces. I checked the transmission fluid and it was to my surprise still red. Not dark at all. My only concern is the owner doesn't have a clue as to when the timing belt has ever been changed. So I'm thinking it is the original one. How hard is it to change out along with the water pump and tensioner? Tires were in good shape AC was working fine. I can get this vehicle for $900.

Vehicle 2 is a 2002 Honda Civic XLE, A/T with 287k miles on 1.7L. It had over heated and so they pulled the head and had it shaved and checked and they put it back on with all new water pump, tensioner pulley, belt, new radiator, cap, battery and thermostat. It drove fine as well. The transmission fluid on it was pretty dark brown. Couldn't see any other issues. Tires on it were good as well. They want $1,500 firm. No moving on the price.

So the question is which to I take a chance on? I mean if I got the Geo I would do the timing belt for sure and water pump. Would not take a chance. So the cost of that would still bring it below the Civic I would think. Especially if I tackle it myself. From what I saw on Youtube it isn't to hard.

Suggestions? The Geo is basically a Toyota engine and tranny correct?

There is no such thing as a Civic XLE. I would not wanna make the choice for her. I've seen people do that,
something breaks, the person you helped makes you feel guilty and is upset at you.

The Geo was made in the Fremont, CA plant (now Tesla). Prizm and Corolla were assembled on the same line. They have different badges.
One rolled of the line every 5 minutes or so.

Which one is better?
Check 'em bot out as best you can.
Take 'em for a good test drive; around town, freeway and find a steep hill.

Good luck.

That year Civic doesn't have a good reputation with the transmission. Plus it doesn't have newer fluid in it either. Pass.

It takes a fair amount of money to drive and maintain a car. Not for the faint of heart. She should have at least another grand set aside for repairs and maintenance. Probably better off taking a few steps back from the situation. It would be different if there was a healthy budget for a new car.

+2 on the geo. Bonus is it's emissions exempt so inspections will be easier.

Let's see.
110K fewer miles with no indication of serious engine damage for six hundred fewer dollars on a car of legendary durability?
I know which one I'd pick for somebody who needs cheap wheels.

Do not buy an automatic Civic.

In any economy car, manual is much preferable. Unless you have stop and go traffic every day.

I'd get the Prizm/Corolla

Although you should get the timing belt done as soon as you can, I believe it is a non-interference engine, so even if it snaps, you just need a timing belt. This applies to both the 4A-FE and 7A-FE

GEO without question.
Take the money saved to do the TB and go over it to make it sound.

Usually when you shave the head you have to increase octane too bc compression is raised. Old dodge ram had head issues and after head was milled needed better fuel.

I see your point. Just copied the add on Craigslist stating an XLE.

This is why I came here to get informed on what I'm looking at.

I appreciate all the advice. I'm just trying to help her out.

Would you say the going rate on a timing belt change would be around $300?

Another vote for the Geo.

The Civic with a rebuilt head at that mileage will start burning/using oil like it's going out of style.

Will they be checking the oil often and keep it topped off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back