trying to choose an oil V8 Ford 351 Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
The aussie lube guides for my 351 Cleveland engine are confusing me a bit. Just looked on Penrite lube checker and they're recommending 20W-60 and even 25W-70 for this engine! I know that high zinc oils are recommended for these old tappet motors, but gee this heavy weight has me a little concerned, especially when the US sites seem to recommend 10w-30 and 15w-40. From looking on the BITOG forum, I can't see anyone running anything like this Penrite HPR30 20w-60 in their cleveland V8.
Can anyone give me some pointers about oil choice please?
regards,
Andrew

has it been rebuilt? does it have stock bearing clearances? if its stock, I'd say 10w-40, 15w40, or 20w-50 would all be fine.
I run 20w-50 in my built 351W, but my bearing clearances were set on the looser side (.035)

It was rebuilt, but about more than 10 years ago and I don't know anything about the build. The car was sitting in a shed when i got hold of it. I would say it is just stock clearances....the motor is in an old Toyota landcruiser.

Kowabunga a 351 Cleavland. I had one in a '73 Torino. A better than average Ford V8. In a Land Cruiser! How is the rest of it? What did You guys run in them, back in the day? Think I used 10w40. But its cooler than NSW. 20w 50 or thicker? Izzit carbed? Def 20w50 or better.

A good 10w30. If she goes through oil, maybe 10w40 or 20w50.
I have used Rotella 15w40 in my BB Chevy and BB Oldsey.
Probably switch back to 10w30. Zinc should be around 1100 PPM; higher if the springs are higher rate.

20W50 was pretty standard throughout the years that the Clevo was being run.

Don't take the "plus 10 path"...you don't need to.

Caltex recommend 15W-40s for the 351s...that's more than adequate.

I would use Penrite Vantage 15W40 Semi-Synthetic
- Spec API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, VW 502 00 / 505 00, RN 0700 / 0710
- KV40 Viscosity = 109 cSt
- KV100 Viscosity = 14.8 cSt
- Cold Cranking at -20C = 4969 cP
- TBN = 10.1
- Zinc = 1090 ppm

It has a solid zinc & TBN package, ample up to date specs, in a Group II / III base oil package. Also as Penrite have said, they promise a minimum of 20% (if not more) Group III in all their semi-synthetics.

Thanks very much for the help. Im in the Blue Mountains, but not cold where I am. The engine seems in ok condition, especially considering it sat still for a long while. The rest of the FJ40 cruiser needs a bit of work but Im having fun tinkering with it. Yeah the 20w60 from Penrite seems to get ok reports and has a bit of a following but gee its bloody heavy stuff!

Lithgow here...I've done 25W70 through a winter...it won't hurt anything, but simply don't go there...

SR5's recommendation is very good, and very good value.

Do their 10W40 racing if you have spare coin

Well we're not too far away, Im in Springwood.
I like the sound of SR5's suggestion of Penrite Vantage 15w40. The zinc package seems reasonably high, although less than the 1600ppm of the hpr30

I just asked my brother last week this question as I purchased my dads 81 ford pickup when he passed which I believe has a rebuilt 351 in it. I thought my dad used a straight 30 weight oil in it. So I should be able to use these suggested above? I am also from MI and only drive in summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIS21
I just asked my brother last week this question as I purchased my dads 81 ford pickup when he passed which I believe has a rebuilt 351 in it. I thought my dad used a straight 30 weight oil in it. So I should be able to use these suggested above? I am also from MI and only drive in summer.

USA 1981 351 is going to be a 351M or 351W. Different from the 351C. Also Michigan is a very different climate then that of Australia. I would go with one of the above mentioned 10w30s.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
20W50 was pretty standard throughout the years that the Clevo was being run.

Don't take the "plus 10 path"...you don't need to.

Caltex recommend 15W-40s for the 351s...that's more than adequate.

I've been inside a few Clevlands. If the rebuild was to OEM specs, it'll be fine on any 15W-40 HDEO that is readily available in your neck of the woods. Like all V8 Fords, it is somewhat sensitive to oil pump resistance. They can break oil pump drives if you push the viscosity to high.

When that motor was brand new, we were still using SAE 30 straight grade oils in a lot of vehicles. So anything with that nominal viscosity will be fine
smile.gif

I would start with any namebrand 10-30.
If you have any consumption issues then you could try a 10-40.
I wouldn't go any thicker.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIS21

USA 1981 351 is going to be a 351M or 351W. Different from the 351C. Also Michigan is a very different climate then that of Australia. I would go with one of the above mentioned 10w30s.
smile.gif

Oz had 351W in the early '70s, and Ms somewhere in the middle.

Clevelands were 1971?

and went through to 1982
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/for...-ss-group-three

My history teacher in Year 10 had a yellow Falcon Station Wagon ESP with the 302C, 4 speed, and 4 wheel disks...

The last of the Oz Clevos went to DeTomaso...and then off to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back