BP ultimate still the best bet? Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone..

Tis the season for oil changes and motorcycle prep. I don't ride my bikes as much as I used to and always filled up with BP ultimate because I was told is didn't have ethanol.. I use BP ultimate in all my gas engines.

Today I filled up my DRZ after draining the winter fuel and the BP pump had a sticker saying..
"May contain 10% ethanol" I asked the guy inside what was up because I don't remember that sticker last time, year I was there and was told the Ultimate does not contain ethanol.. Only the lower grade fuels.. But, idk..

What non-ethanol fuel do you use? And is BP ultimate still the best bet in the Midwest?

Thanks!

In my area, only Shell V-Power (91) is officially advertised as being ethanol free.

10% ethanol has been used on the West coast for over 3 decades without really any issues. It will allow for a little more timing without preignition. I suppose it is possible for it to come out of suspension and hold water and cause corrosion issues if left sitting for long periods of time. I know higher amounts of alcohol do this. I wouldn't worry about it. That's just me.

Here in MN, many stations have non-ethanol premium. But it is always labeled as such, with a sticker saying "Deoxygenated gasoline".
Check Puregas.org out to see if your particular station is or isn't ethanol free. If it's not, you should be able to find a nearby station that does have non-ethanol. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IA

Around central PA, all the non-alcohol contaning gasoline that I can find is non-Top Tier. Makes me hesitant to use it in my newer VW which I run on Exxon mid-grade.

Thanks guys..

I've learned ethanol usually doesn't lead to storage problems in dry climates, but does big time in humid area's like Iowa. My stihl dealer told me never to use ethanol gas a long time ago and I've always been cautious especially after my X bought ethanol once years ago which lead to four fuel line failures.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
BP 91 is ethanol free usually here. Ask. I did and she called and was told its e091

I did ask, but the guy didnt call. So if the pump says E091, (does it?) its 0% ethanol, 91 octane?

Thanks again..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mikek13
Thanks guys..

I've learned ethanol usually doesn't lead to storage problems in dry climates, but does big time in humid area's like Iowa. My stihl dealer told me never to use ethanol gas a long time ago and I've always been cautious especially after my X bought ethanol once years ago which lead to four fuel line failures.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
BP 91 is ethanol free usually here. Ask. I did and she called and was told its e091

I did ask, but the guy didnt call. So if the pump says E091, (does it?) its 0% ethanol, 91 octane?

Thanks again..

You’re fine with ethanol. I have run it for years and have had absolutely no problem with it. This area doesn’t have the issues with gas and ethanol that other areas do.

I assume since you are getting ultimate with ethanol in it you are around the quad cities? That is the only part of Iowa I have seen it.

If the pump says "may contain ethanol", then 99% chance it does. If they were selling non ethanol, it would be clearly marked as such, and a special product held in a completely different tank that most stations don't have. Usually comes with a premium price.

The brand really does not matter. All of the stations in your area fill their tankers from the same place.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
If the pump says "may contain ethanol", then 99% chance it does. If they were selling non ethanol, it would be clearly marked as such, and a special product held in a completely different tank that most stations don't have. Usually comes with a premium price.

The brand really does not matter. All of the stations in your area fill their tankers from the same place.

Additives.

If the pump says "may contain ethanol"...

... i take it by the “worst case scenario” i.e. it has at least as much ethanol as the law would allow.

The honest guys will have it properly labeled with the actual percentage.

Ethanol and its hydroscopic nature is overblown in automobiles, since it tends to be sealed with the gas cap and under pressure.

If you have an outboard gas engine, that's a different story... that's why Startron is a popular additive in those applications.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Ethanol and its hydroscopic nature is overblown in automobiles, since it tends to be sealed with the gas cap and under pressure.

The main problem with ethanol in your fuel is that it cost more to produce...only to give you less energy.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Additives.

...are all mostly the same. The mix is mostly dictated by the EPA and local laws.

Those define minimums. It's like saying Top Tier doesn't exist.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Those define minimums. It's like saying Top Tier doesn't exist.
confused2.gif

It's mostly all in your head. There is very little difference between "top tier" and anything else. One of the biggest differences with better name brand stations is better fuel filtration, cleaner tanks, and less likely to have water in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back