Amazon.com vs. Amazon.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there such a difference? Does anyone actually buy the $50 spark plug in Canada?

Last edited:
Probably only the one seller on Amazon.ca who is bothering to sell them, and he knows that... probably also knows that supply in CA is limited on them so is gouging.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Why is there such a difference? Does anyone actually buy the $50 spark plug in Canada?

Just buy from rockauto, although you have to pay duties, you'll end up spending less.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Is this a hard to find or special plug ? Surely it can be sourced from a Ford dealership in Canada for a whole lot less.

Canada tax. You probably get it worse being from Quebec and all. Sometimes the prices are close, sometimes they are quite different. I have elderly parents who drive to florida every year, they even go to HF for me.

Exactly. Even with 15 or 16% tax between GST and provincial tax, this pricing is not justified. The same thing happened with my Audi headlamp assemblies. I got OEM ones from the States, and the duty (they were made in Germany, so NAFTA didn't help), GST, and PST plus exchange and shipping and the base price were still over 50% cheaper than any Canadian source.

Go look at a clamping dial run out indicator on the Canadian site and compare it to the American site. The price on .ca is ten times that at .com or HF for the exact same tool.

It depends a great deal who is offering thing for sale on Amazon. I've picked up some great deals there one on my last Ambassador fishing reel. A new model and $50 cheaper than other listings and discounters. Havoline ProDS three jugs for $39.03. But I've seen a 5 quart Jug of Castrol Extended Performance for $79. Watch what you buy and read the product descriptions carefully.

Last edited:
Yep, that's all pretty true. Generally speaking, though, if I have to read a product description that carefully and there's some confusion as to what I might be buying or the product size and/or the price are totally out of line, it's time to find another supplier. At brick and mortar retail stores, when it comes to oil, some people stocking shelves can't tell the difference between PP 5w-30 SN/GF-5 and the Euro C3 5w-30. The last thing I need is someone similarly [un]skilled fulfilling an online order for me.

I think some of the ridiculous prices are used for money laundering somehow, and if someone outside the scheme accidentally buys one, its gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back