Does anyone buy into this statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this on a website called 2 carpros. >An engine that is running unusually smoothly and quietly is a sign of low compression caused by worn piston rings <
confused2.gif
I guess I better overhaul my engine

Originally Posted By: littleant
Read this on a website called 2 carpros. >An engine that is running unusually smoothly and quietly is a sign of low compression caused by worn piston rings <
confused2.gif
No, because it's absurdly anecdotal, a blanket generalization with absolutely no proof, on a website where anyone can post questions and anyone can post answers. Rubbing two brain cells together to even ponder it is a waste of time and effort.

confused2.gif
Maybe if ALL the rings were worn down exactly alike? Most engines I've had with bad rings exhibited massive oil burning on deceleration long before any other symptoms (like loss of power) happened...

confused2.gif

The key word here is unusually.

This statement isn't about smooth and quiet engines. It's about engines that become quietER and smoothER than they normally are.

No idea how true this is, but it's certainly less ridiculous than the interpretation that low NVH comes from bad compression.

Quite possibly. If I think about some high HP/Ltr engines that have gotten tired they do seem smoother and quieter than they did when in top form.

Yes, I suppose it's possible. Testing would be difficult, and anecdotal evidence might even be hard to come by, given that this is obviously a very slow process, and noticing it would be hard.

I used to work somewhere with a Cushman Turf Truckster that had a Kawasaki liquid-cooled two cylinder with over 25,000 hours on it. Crazy hours.

In its last couple of years it got quieter and slower. It was almost kind of weird. Eventually it didn't have enough power to move and was finally replaced. It was a very slow death.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
There's no such thing as unusually quiet and smooth. Quiet and smooth is what you want.

Sounds like you usually get what you want, then.

I can tell you with some confidence that doesn't apply to everyone else.

I would think anything that reduces power output will make an engine smoother/quieter.
Low compression, restricted exhaust, clogged air filter, throttle or valves not opening fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back