Volcano Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering from the picture about all of the particulates spewed from the volcano. Where's the EPA when you need them? That thing needs a DPF. It probably emitted more particulates in that one eruption than all the diesel engines ever built.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm just wondering from the picture about all of the particulates spewed from the volcano. Where's the EPA when you need them? That thing needs a DPF. It probably emitted more particulates in that one eruption than all the diesel engines ever built.

Well here's Google to the rescue.
According to Scientific American and the USGS, world-wide totals of volcano CO2 emissions are estimated at 200 million tons annually.
Automotive and industrial emissions are estimated at 24 billion tons annually.

And best of all, we have complete control over the human based emissions.
Here's the article for your consumption.
Scientific American, volcanos vs humans.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

According to Scientific American and the USGS, world-wide totals of volcano CO2 emissions are estimated at 200 million tons annually.

Don't confuse people with facts man, it's not what they want to hear.

What about the sulfur and NOx emissions? The last I heard, one good eruption puts out more NOx than we've regulated.

This volcano has the same type of flowing lava as Mt. Etna in Sicily, (Yes, there are different kinds of lava and volcanos). unlike Mt. Vesuvius which spews a fine dusty type of lava. I spent two weeks close to Etna back in late September early October of 1991. Etna was giving a show, lighting up the night sky, and sending up sparklers. Nearby roads were covered with cinder rocks and stones but higher up the slope, huge bolders shot up and out, wiping out orange and lemon groves, not to mention houses. I left early as I did not want to be caught with lava flows, incase it blocked the coastal road to the ferry boat terminals. Yes, I was worried, (but the nighttime sparklers was beautiful).
A few years before that, lava flowed slowly wiping out villages. Although I was not there that time, the Italian government was able to save some parts of villages by digging diversion channels. BTW; the city of Catania has been buried by Etna lava many times in the last 3000 years.

Google some more. The Scientific American article only discusses CO2 emissions, and if you read my post carefully, you would find that I only wrote about particulate emissions.

Google some more. The Scientific American article only discusses CO2 emissions, and if you read my post carefully, you would find that I only wrote about particulate emissions.

Man, and to think that I thought you were implying something!
I'll make sure I only take your words literally from now on.
You sure set me straight!

Man, and to think that I thought you were implying something!
I'll make sure I only take your words literally from now on.
You sure set me straight!

No need to get indignant, because you made an incorrect assumption.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
What about the sulfur and NOx emissions? The last I heard, one good eruption puts out more NOx than we've regulated.
Al is working on it now..lol

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Don't confuse people with facts man, it's not what they want to hear.

Apologies for my snarkiness. I read things wrong and it was uncalled for.

You don't want to inhale the particulates expelled by volcanic eruptions. Micro abrasives that will seriously eff-up your lungs. Diesel particulates are little pink warm fuzzies compared to volcanic ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back