Harbor freight recalls 1 mil chainsaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Name of product:
Portland, One Stop Gardens, and Chicago Electric 14 inch electric chainsaws
Hazard:
The power switch can malfunction and allow the chainsaw to continue operating after the operator moves the switch to the “off” position, posing a serious injury hazard to the operator.
Remedy:
Replace

Link

Who's buying chainsaws from Harbor Freight? The only decent thing they sell there are moving blankets. Everything else is garbage.

Originally Posted By: pda1122
Quote:
Name of product:
Portland, One Stop Gardens, and Chicago Electric 14 inch electric chainsaws
Hazard:
The power switch can malfunction and allow the chainsaw to continue operating after the operator moves the switch to the “off” position, posing a serious injury hazard to the operator.
Remedy:
Replace

Link

Good info- thanks
I think that every switch on everything HF sells from the beginning of time has been faulty
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm surprised that there aren't a lot more HF recalls.
Usually the H.F. products breaks before a recall need to be issued.

Huh, I've never had an issue with anything I've purchased from HF. I'm aware of their reputation and I'm sure it's deserved, but I must just get pretty lucky!

I've wasted a lot of money on HF junk. I had one of those, it cut nice at first but then gave up like a lot of their stuff. I returned mine a while ago. Don't miss it and don't miss HF tools. Walmart, Cal-Ranch, Home Depot, and Lowes are within 1/2 mile of HF tools.

Thanks! The last one that I had helped me take down four 30 foot tall palm trees and a 12 foot tall tree in the backyard before it overheated and burned out. That one had an Oregon bar and chain I think; it was one of the red chainsaws. The current one that I have, which is the green ones, can't even cut a tree branch.

There are certain things you don't buy from HF. High on the list is power tools. Not everything they sell is junk, there are a few things I bought from them that I am completely satisfied with.

Originally Posted By: nate95023
Who's buying chainsaws from Harbor Freight? The only decent thing they sell there are moving blankets. Everything else is garbage.

+1, it's like the 5 & Dime store of tools...

You / we need to be aware of what you are buying & adjust your expectations accordingly .

Some of their stuff is bad , some average , some good . Over all , I think their quality has come up in the last 10 - 15 years .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
You / we need to be aware of what you are buying & adjust your expectations accordingly .

Some of their stuff is bad , some average , some good . Over all , I think their quality has come up in the last 10 - 15 years .

I shop there for a lot of things, like paint brushes, that are 1-time use...can't beat it! Also their sockets, etc are pretty good quality for the price. Now, I wouldn't buy them if my job depended on it, but for weekend use several times a year it is fine. I would avoid HF power tools like the plague, though.

At my age , when I need tools ( particularly specialty tools ) , I may only use them one time , in the rest of my life time . Often HF tool is 1/2 - 1/3 the price of " name brand " tool . If it lasts 1 time , that is often all that matters .

Their wrenches seem to be pretty good . And some of their sockets & ratchets .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back