Do I really need racing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I race a Honda Prelude dirt circle track car on the weekends. Car has a H22 NA 4 cylinder engine built by me making 210 whp. Engine has a solid DOHC valvetrain with a mile cam and valve springs.

Engine sees anywhere from 8500-9000 rpm twice a lap (at the end of the straights) and runs anywhere from 5 lap heats to 60 lap mains (with cautions). Coolant temp stays around 180-200f. Have been running amsoil dominator 10w-30 with great success but lately am getting tired of $60 oil changes. Is there a suitable off the shelf oil for my application, or should I suck it up and keep running what’s been working?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Have any idea what oil temps you see?

I unfortunately do not. The car does have a factory oil cooler though.

Last edited:
What's the capacity? Is this primarily just a track car or does it see some daily driving?

Personally, I would stick with what has worked. That said, I would think that a good 0W-40 (M1, PUP, etc) would treat your engine well too.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
What's the capacity? Is this primarily just a track car or does it see some daily driving?

Personally, I would stick with what has worked. That said, I would think that a good 0W-40 (M1, PUP, etc) would treat your engine well too.

This is a track car only. Completely gutted, no windows etc. Car only weighs 2175 with me in it. Just over 5 quart capacity

You are taking your engine to its limits, for such extreme use, an oil blended for that purpose would seem a must to me. Because it is made in limited quantities it will cost more than oil for engines used for everyday use.
Maybe you could save a few bucks, but if it leads to premature engine failure it will be a very expensive economy measure.

Claud.

You could try M1 or Castrol 0W-40. Or perhaps a CK-4 5W-40 (Delo, Delvac, Rotella). I wouldn’t run any oil with the ILSAC GF-5 specification. It’s really hard to say without oil temps though. I’d stick with what your running if it were me.

How often do you change the oil?

Last edited:
You could try M1 or Castrol 0W-40. Or perhaps a CK-4 5W-40 (Delo, Delvac, Rotella). I wouldn’t run any oil with the ILSAC GF-5 specification. It’s really hard to say without oil temps though. I’d stick with what your running if it were me.

How often do you change the oil?

Lately I’ve been changing it every 2-3 races due to some pretty heavy fuel dilution. Need to get a re-tune but it’s been hard to line up a date that works for me and the tuner I use.

Originally Posted By: burla
On a dirt track? LOL

No need, use what you want.

Huh? Not sure what’s so funny about a dirt track....

Originally Posted By: Bxnanaz
On a dirt track? LOL

Don’t mind the trolls.

If your changing oil so often, you’re probably not getting the value out of Amsoil. That oil can go a lot longer in your application (absent fuel dilution).

I'd assume your oil temps are quite hot and start looking at specs at some of the 15W40 semi-syn diesel oils, or the 5W40 full syn oils. They are cheap and common.
Probably far more trouble than its worth, but I wonder if a few hours in a crock pot (with the lid off)would evaporate most of the fuel?

Last edited:
On a dirt track? LOL

Don’t mind the trolls.

If your changing oil so often, you’re probably not getting the value out of Amsoil. That oil can go a lot longer in your application (absent fuel dilution).

Yeah the fuel dilution is what’s making me change it early. I should probably just keep running what’s working and just fix the fuel dilution ASAP.

I think that’s a good idea. What do you think is causing the dilution? Old injectors?

Probably a rough draft tune on Hondata or Crome.

I would use 0w40 Castrol or M1 but leave it in there for longer than 3 races for sure. Like half the season.

I think that’s a good idea. What do you think is causing the dilution? Old injectors?

Had to replace a map sensor and a few other electrical things at the track to get me going.

On a dirt track? LOL

Don’t mind the trolls.

I don't believe the Dominator series is meant for extended drain intervals. According to Amsoil, it's designed to withstand elevated RPMs, increased heat, and shock-loading.

I wasn't [censored] on your hobby I think it is great. You said you were tired of 60 dollar oil changes, so fix that. Find a cheaper otc oil that isn't gf-5 as it will have low additives. Buy something in a jug and drop in a bottle of zddp, or get 10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil which is almost across the board same additives near the oil you are using a lot cheaper. Fuel dilution can be real hard to solvve in your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back