Mazda FL22 = Motorcraft Specialty Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Mazda 3 here that will soon be due for a coolant service. It calls for FL22 but a few folks have advised me to consider Motorcraft Specialty Green at a much lower cost.

Can anyone confirm that the two products use the same chemistry and carry the same service life?

Also, WorldPac recommends CCI MFG’s hybrid green coolant (same thing as Pentofrost A2) for this application. However, the Mazda part number listed on the Pentofrost A2 data sheet cross references to the conventional Mazda coolant, not FL22. So, I am not certain that this is the correct chemistry.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I recently called Pentofrost to inquire about the service life of A2 'Extended Life' concentrate vs. A3 'Super Extended Life' pre-mix. The tech told me that the A2 can be used for whatever the service manual of the automaker recommends. When I asked if it was good for 60 to 75K (3 or 4 years) he said YES, in a clean system it would be no problem.

On an older BITOG thread a seemingly knowledgeable poster stated that A2 is a long life phosphated H-OAT formula and that the A3 is an 'improved' LL phosphated H-OAT formula....this would explain the term 'Super Extended Life".... Since I would never exceed 3 or 4 years or 60 to 75K miles on my coolant...I purchased the A2 at the current AZ clearance.

PS: So to answer your question, the A2 is the correct chemistry (as is the A3) but the A3 (pre-mix) is the one to use if you want to go over 100K on the coolant.

I know there is a TSB for the first gen Mazda's 3s, as that's when the FL22 coolant was introduced, saying that the Mazda conventional green and FL22 can be mixed, but the service interval has to stay with the conventional coolant.

Perhaps that's why pentofrost has their conventional as a safe replacement for FL22.

They are the same product, just using different tint. I know this because for a while, I thought my Fusion might take MC Specialty Green as coolant and did a bunch of research into alternatives.

Thanks folks. I did a drain and refill and it took about 4.2 qt of 50/50 mix. The color of the Motorcraft Specialty Green matches the FL22, which is always a good thing. The radiator drain plug did not want to come out, so I decided to remove the lower hose instead of risking radiator damage. Luckily the system bled pretty easily because my vacuum fill adapter did not fit the wide opening of the pressurized surge tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back