Using old new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
While cleaning stuff in the basement, I found 6 liters of 20W50 oil lying around. They are unopened bottles of conventional Castrol GTX with a red cap which are probably about 15 years old since they were meant for a car I don't have anymore.

Instead of bringing them to the recycling center this way and therefore wasting them, I checked the manuals and the oldest car in my fleet could use it in hot temperatures.

For the time of the year that I use this car, I'm just under or at the very beginning of the 20w50 temp range.

I also have some Marvel Mystery Oil I normally use for my small engines. According to Marvel's FAQ, using 20% MMO in the crankcase lowers the oil rating by about 4 points, making it ~16W46.

I must also say that this car usually get 10W30 high mileage oil. It doesn't burn any that I ever noticed, but seeps a little in two spots. Would using this cocktail make it worse ?

What do you think of this plan ?

Should I just stick to straight 20W50 ?

20W50 with a high mileage additive ?

20W50 with both MMO and HM add ?

Not use it at all ?

Use it, shake those bottles well since some additives in there will settle to the bottom.
Use a half-dose of HM additive with the 20w50 for the hot months. I'd skip the MMO. ... In that Tercel or Supra

I have always loved the smell, look, and feel of Castrols conventional base stock product. I guess just as long as it doesn't contain additives that have settled to the bottom of any given brand ...

Looks like a good time to dilute that stock with alcohol and sell it as “Eau de Castrol”
laugh.gif

I'm using 45 year old oil in my 240z and have for 6 years. Stored properly and meeting the spec of the engine it's going in, it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
What is the API rating of the oil vs your cars requirement?

Good call, I'll check it out when I'm back home.

The tercel and the supra would probably handle it OK, but you have to watch higher revs when the oil is cold as it may not drain back from the head as fast as its pumped up there. Partially sludged drain back holes won't help things.
You should do a before and after 0-60 test on the Tercel. I think it will be significantly slower with the 20W50.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You should do a before and after 0-60 test on the Tercel. I think it will be significantly slower with the 20W50.

I don't think it can be any slower unless it's broken down. We're talking 23-25 seconds 0-60 here.

There's no way I'll use this oil in my Supra, even though the manual says I could.

1. Send some of it for a VOA
2. I am sure someone would pay shipping or pick it up locally. Vintage 20W50 for BITOG hipsters! EDIT: Where do you live in Canada?

Last edited:
That stuff is fine for a mower or tiller. I would not use that oil in my cars. Consider this, how much money are you really saving? Or if money is not your motivation, 6L is not enough quantity to really consider as wasting (in my opinion). And if it's not money or waste, what is your motivation for using it? It's 15 years old, not of the recommended viscosity but of a "permitted" viscosity during specific temperatures? Just too many questions going on here.

For me, 6L of old oil is nowhere near justifying the concern being carried around in the back of my head "how is that old oil doing in there?"

Run fresh oil in your valuable vehicles, run this ancient stuff elsewhere or give it to an old timer.

If you choose to use it, do as others said -- shake it well and dilute with 0w20 or 5w20.

Originally Posted By: jayg
I'm using 45 year old oil in my 240z and have for 6 years. Stored properly and meeting the spec of the engine it's going in, it will be fine.

so you are using 45 years old oil in your car?.. the rest i didnt get.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Originally Posted By: jayg

so you are using 45 years old oil in your car?.. the rest i didnt get.

I'm not sure what part you're missing.

Yes I am using 45 year old NEW Old stock oil in my 45 year old car. If oil is properly stored, it has a very long shelf life.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
What is the API rating of the oil vs your cars requirement?

The old oil is SL rated. The manual calls for SE or better.

According to the manual, this engine can also officially run on straight 30
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back